The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Switching between saddles difficult?

I'm trying to get used to being all dressagy in my dressage saddle but I'm having a heck of a time switching back and forth.

If I ride in my dressage saddle for too long then my jumping saddle feels like a postage stamp.

When I ride in my jumping saddle for too long I feel like I'm reaching for my stirrups and wedged into my dressage saddle.

Anyone else or just me?

I'm way more comfortable in my jump saddle because that's what I'm used to. I ride 2-3 times a week in my dressage saddle because it's what is "hardest" or newest to me, then do 1 or 2 sessions in my jump saddle. Try to switch it up within the week.

Funny...I used to have this problem too a long time ago. I now have two saddles that feel like "home" to me so I don't even notice the difference now!!
    ~Run and Jump!~

I know what you mean, even if only from the context of riding with Dressage length vs. fences length stirrups in my one-and-only jump saddle. It feels like I need to rework my entire game plan when I switch.

I use my dressage saddle probably 85% of the time, but prefer my jumping saddle so whenever I get to ride in it I'm happy. I've had both for ages so they're both like a well-broken-in pair of jeans--nice and comfy.
    Click here before you buy.

Not sure if you meant a figurative "reaching" for your stirrups or a literal one... but I would suggest shortening your dressage stirrups by a hole. I've been told to do this several years apart on 2 different horses and with 2 different dressage saddles.... it helped a bunch each time.
    Proud former owner of a Wee Dee Trrr
    Proud half-owner of a Picasso Pony

Yes!! It is entirely OK to ride in a dressage saddle with a bit of a "bend" to your knee - go look at how many UL dressage riders knees are still bent. My coach and I had a descussion about this just the other day. I ride in an AP for jumping still, and she feels my ideal jumping lenth is only 2-3 holes shorter then my prefered dressage length - even in the dressage saddle this should be the case.

I have a good freind that went western to dressage, and still insists that one's leg should have nearly no bend to it.

I'm also still getting used to my dressage saddle, but realizing it was OK to have the stirrups a bit shorter will make it SO much easier for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Wee Dee Trrr View Post
    Not sure if you meant a figurative "reaching" for your stirrups or a literal one... but I would suggest shortening your dressage stirrups by a hole. I've been told to do this several years apart on 2 different horses and with 2 different dressage saddles.... it helped a bunch each time.

If I've been riding in it all week I can let my stirrups down a hole, but if I have not been riding in it or if my pony is feeling a bit frisky I want them up so I can wedge my heel down. Maybe eventually I'll grow a dressage seat.

One thing I have found that helps is to ride without stirrups in my jumping saddle for a bit when I'm making the switch. You can extend your leg as far as is comfortable, and your position gets the many benefits of no-stirrup work. Plus, it's a great ab workout. ;-)

I have a hard time switching between the saddles. I have always ridden better in my jump saddle. Although I finally have a dressage saddle that really fits. That has helped! It's just still different for me. I spent many years just doing everything in my jump saddle.

I also ride dressage a little short. It's were I'm comfortable!

I don't experience much difficultly switching between my saddles. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that I will always feel more "at home" with shorter stirrups/in my jumping saddles, but I ride more often in my dressage saddle.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

If I have only been riding in my dressage saddle for many weeks, then I get sore calves when I ride in my jumping saddle.

If I have only been riding in my jumping saddle for many weeks, then I get sore thighs/hips when I ride in my dressage saddle.

Not really "sore", but I definitely feel it.

But if i am switching back and forth several times a week I don't have any problem.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

It's all in what you're used to! I rode in nothing but a dressage saddle for years... then have been in just a jump saddle for a few months. Just bought a new dressage saddle since the beast seems to have stopped growing, and it felt like coming "home"...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."