The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wintec Pro Jump

Anyone jumped around in a Wintec Pro Jump? Did you like it? How was it for x-country?
    Looking at one right now as it has the interchangeable gullet which is handy. It looks pretty comfy!

Comfortable but a fairly forward flap, YMMV

Jennifer

The Wintec Pro Jump is my very favorite jumping saddle ever.

However, I understand that the current model is somewhat different than the 'old' (just a couple of years ago) version, and it's the circa 2008 model that I like.

Like ThirdCharm says, it is a forward flap saddle but -- let's see if this makes sense -- the feel is less forward than it looks. Your leg is still nicely on the horse.

Glenbaer rides one of my mares in it for all three phases. The mare is 14.2hh, so a jumping saddle puts your leg somewhere in the vicinity of her barrel for dressage. The same saddle also fits my 16hh and 16.2hh TBs very well.

And I very much regret sending it to Glenbaer. I've been checking on eBay for a replacement.

But again, my comments are about the late-noughties model, not the current one. No idea what that's like, but I do know other people who've been looking for the older ones.

I have an older one, I actually hate it.
    Not balanced right for me-tips me forward and to compensate I get behind, it is literally impossible for me to get and stay in the right place. I actually prefer a more forward flapped saddle.
    It did fit my big withered flatish back horse with a narrow tree well enough. Just doesn't work for me at all.

A lot of people really like them. I'm a princess and the pea... haha

I can do flat work in it okay... I keep it for riding the baby horses and an extra saddle to have around incase someone comes over to ride something.
    -Chelsie
    "Hell yes I can ride. I was riding when I fell off!"

I had one of the old ones. LOVED it. Super grippy, great balance for me and my knee finally didn't come off the flap. I'm still hunting for a black one now! I'll never sell it again when I get my hands on one! I really want a Matt Ryan XC too!! But great saddle...especially for the money. Nice gusseted panels, wide channel, adjustable gullet and Velcro knee blocks. It really had it all for the price. Not a squishy seat though but I don't need that in a jump saddle.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

I have one of the "older" ones (2006?) as well, and love it. It is one of the only saddles that didn't make my horse unhappy as he's quite picky, and it fits me well too. I've had a clinician at a cross country clinic remark that it was his favorite saddle out of the group of six.

I have the older one as well. The newer ones are more banana shaped. Love the old ones...
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Great info thx everyone

I also have an older one. The flap is not really that forward (at least compared to some of my other saddles). Comfortable, durable and usually pretty inexpensive. I wish Wintec hadn't changed the design. I find it a very balanced and comfortable saddle. My horses have all liked the Wintec Pro a lot (I think because the tree is quite flexible).

For a point of reference I also have a County and a Stackhouse jumping saddles and the Wintec is a bargain.

I also have a Matt Ryan XC. That's quite a nice saddle and it has a truly forward flap. Another case of Wintec discontinuing a nice saddle that was available at a good price point.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.