The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Angry Horrific case of horse abuse on Obsidian Road in Big Springs

I think this might just be worse horse case abuse I have heard about. Two horses died after been severely neglected and starved in Big Springs. One of those horses was a 1 year old filly that was buried alive!

I am sharing this story with you because the people who did this need to be prosecuted to the full extent of the law, except the law doesn't seem to give a d@mn. Several neighbors had been contacting Animal Control several weeks prior to the death of the two horses. There were pictures of the emaciated horses and even videos of the filly and her future grave. To my knowledge, no charges have been filed yet. Here is the link to the full story, including the contacts of the local authorities:

http://fuglyblog.com/2012/04/13/when...jobs/#comments
    http://snarkyrider.com/2012/04/13/fr...do-their-jobs/

UPDATE:
    From Friend In-Need Equine-Rescue's Facebook page
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001975999146
    "SISKIYOU COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE
    **4/13/2012**

On Saturday March 31, 2012 Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO) deputies responded to a report of animal neglect. Three horses were reportedly in distress and not being properly cared for after being observed in a small field on Obsidian Road in the Big Springs area. The report also indicated that the animals were not being properly fed and one horse was possibly dead. The responding (SCSO) deputy arrived at the scene and found two horses in a very emaciated condition, indicating that the animals were subjected to long-term neglect and possible abuse. Another horse was already dead at the scene. A volunteer from “The Run for Home Haven Horse Rescue Ranch” responded and arranged for temporary feeding and care of the animals while the SCSO conducted a preliminary investigation and contacted Siskiyou County Animal Control officials. Despite the efforts of the rescue volunteer and county responders, one horse perished at the scene. Prior to the horse’s death, Siskiyou County Animal Control attempted to save the animal by contacting one of the best veterinarians in the area. The veterinarian administered injections in an effort to save the animal. Despite the extraordinary effort by county staff and the veterinarian the animal did not respond to the treatment and officials were forced to euthanize the horse that evening. Siskiyou County Animal Control conducted a comprehensive investigation and filed an animal cruelty and neglect-related case against the owners of the horses with the Siskiyou County District Attorney, on Friday, April 13, 2012.
    Sheriff Jon Lopey stated, “On behalf of the Siskiyou County Sheriff’s Office, I am saddened by the senseless loss of these defenseless animals. Evidence indicates that these horses were likely subjected to a long-term period of inexplicable abuse, neglect and cruelty. The Siskiyou County Animal Control Office has done an excellent job aggressively investigating this case. Siskiyou County District Attorney Kirk Andrus has been advised and plans to review the case at the earliest opportunity. Special thanks are due to the volunteer from The Run for Home Haven Horse Rescue Ranch, which supported the county response effort by caring for the two surviving horses and ultimately, saving one of the animals, with assistance from our local veterinarian. Tragically, this apparent long-term neglect was not reported to authorities in time to save all of the animals. This is a good opportunity to remind all citizens to report any suspected case of animal abuse, neglect or cruelty to county authorities as soon as possible. Citizens may call our Sheriff’s Office Dispatch 24 hours a day at 841-2900, or, Siskiyou County Animal Control, at 841-4028."
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

Sad indeed....but where does it say one was buried alive? I'm just confused about how if the vet euthanized it, how that could even happen.

The sheriff's office report tells a slightly different story from the one that was originally in the Friend In-Need Equine-Rescue's page. That's the one that was featured in the Fugly Blog and the AC has forced the rescue to take down. Seeing the footage of the filly still breathing and the grave that was being dug for her, I think it is quite possible that the filly was buried alive and the horse that was euthanized was one of the other horses. But it will be impossible to know for sure until a necropsy is done on the dead filly.
    Yes, I smell like a horse. No, I don't consider that to be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by DottieHQ View Post
    You're just jealous because you lack my extensive koalafications.

I think the euthanized horse may have been the filly's mother?
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Let's dig a hole & bury the abusers alive. I'll push 'em in. Hell, I'll dig the hole too! What a waste of oxygen.
    Until everyone in this country gets on board with harsh, not just harsher, but HARSH penalities for animal abuse it'll keep on happening.
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Quote Originally Posted by Whitfield Farm Hanoverians View Post
    Let's dig a hole & bury the abusers alive. I'll push 'em in. Hell, I'll dig the hole too! What a waste of oxygen.
    Until everyone in this country gets on board with harsh, not just harsher, but HARSH penalities for animal abuse it'll keep on happening.
    I'd be right behind you helping with that hole. How about make them dig their own hole?

Ugh that makes me so angry that human beings would do that to an animal!! This is why I don't put much faith into rescues and where the police are usually busy dealing with people problems, animals probably don't come out on the top of the list.
    http://www.horsez-r-us.blogspot.com
    Blog of an ordinary and every day horse lover!