The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default VENT: Spitting nails, repo'ing my horse

I'm so angry, there are actually small wisps of steam coming out of my ears.

To keep it (relatively) short and sweet....
    I'd sold one of my geldings at the end of the month to a fellow boarder. Among other things, she was to be making payments on the ridiculously low price (a pittance, really) I was giving her, a price I only agreed to because she just wanted something to pamper and ride here and there for fun and had no intention of selling him. Blah blah blah, so and on and so forth.

It is now April 13th. I have received NO first payment and I've been informed that she has listed him for sale on craigslist for THREE TIMES the ridiculously low price we agreed upon, because 'it isn't working out'. And claims that she was going to pay me off before actually selling him (for three times as much).

Let me reiterate that.

She hasn't made a single payment on the horse.
    She is not in possession of the registration documentation of said horse, nor is she listed as the owner.
    She is not in possession of ANY documentation demonstrating her as rightful owner of the horse.
    SHE BOARDS IN THE SAME BARN AS I DO, and apparently thinks I either a) wouldn't mind being royally effed over, or b) wouldn't notice.

I am enraged. Where is the bitchslapper icon when you need it.

(there were a lot more swear words in the original draft of this post)
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

WWow--WTF!!??!!! To say I'd be Pi$$ed is putting it mildly. Some people!! At least there shouldn't be any issue regarding you taking possession back of said horse. Thankfully you didn't lose him and you now know she is an idiot.

LOL please please let us know what her response is!!

You should be able to ask for the horse back. Sale of the horse is a contract with certain requirements - offer & acceptance and consideration, (i.e.payment) are integral factors. No payment, the contract is broken. Check your local laws, and do what you can to get him back ASAP if that is your plan.

Is your barn owner aware of this? I'd even offer to pay the board to reassert your role as his owner, since you were under the impression she was taking ownership of the horse, but has obviously changed her mind since you haven't seen a payment from her.

But what a load of ^&)*(.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Take him back. Really. What is she going to do?

I would just move him. do it, yesterday.

Don't discuss - after the fact, if you feel like it, otherwise, if she says something, tell her to buzz off.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz 57 View Post
    She hasn't made a single payment on the horse.
    She is not in possession of the registration documentation of said horse, nor is she listed as the owner.
    She is not in possession of ANY documentation demonstrating her as rightful owner of the horse.
    You don't need to repo your horse as it sounds like he was never actually sold. Just tell her that the "sale" is officially off and that she is not to have anything more to do with YOUR horse (and make sure the barn owner/manager knows this as well).

Good luck, and sorry the sale didn't go through, but grateful it didn't since that "buyer" sounds like a total flake who cares more about $ than horses.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

So what does your sales contract say? EVERY horse I have ever sold, regardless of how low the price, has a sales contract. If time payments are made, the contract specifies who pays what (e.g. board, vet, farrier) during the time that payments are being made and what happens if payments are late or not made.

If there is no contract, then shame on the seller for letting that happen. I'm certainly not justifying the buyer's behavior, but the seller set up and tolerated an ambigious situation. It takes two to tango.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Whoa...that's some huge set on that boarder/buyer!
    Either that or her skull is merely decorative and doesn't contain a brain.

Holy crap, I'd be spitting nails too. How rotten. And she thinks telling you she was going to pay you before she sold the horse was adequate explanation?

Kudos to you if you haven't slapped her around the barn a few times.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

People never cease to amaze me....
    Our horses know our secrets; we braid our tears into their manes and whisper our hopes into their ears.

Wow. Just WOW.

I'd be worried that she WOULD succeed in selling the horse on CL and one day you'll come to the barn to find the horse missing. I hope BO and everyone else at the barn is abundantly clear on the fact that said horse does not leave the barn without your consent-- not that Little Miss Needs-Her-Head-Examined goes around telling everyone ELSE that said horse is hers to do with as she wishes.

Good luck and please do keep us posted!
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Zoiks! That woman is a fine piece of work, isn't she? Is she from one of those "communities you won't live in" down there

Hmm... I wonder which CL horse ad he is, as I was perusing those last night Heinz. Anyhoo... I foresee angry words. Is there another location you can move this gelding to after "repossessing" him? I'd hate for her to simply haul him off, since he is boarded there with her.

Definitely get your BO on board with this situation, and make sure CrazyLady is booted out!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    Wow. Just WOW.

I'd be worried that she WOULD succeed in selling the horse on CL and one day you'll come to the barn to find the horse missing. I hope BO and everyone else at the barn is abundantly clear on the fact that said horse does not leave the barn without your consent-- not that Little Miss Needs-Her-Head-Examined goes around telling everyone ELSE that said horse is hers to do with as she wishes.

Good luck and please do keep us posted!
    This. I think I'd be speaking with BO, or even moving horse to a different property for awhile, to keep her paws off YOUR horse.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Oh Heinz. I'm so sorry. You have every right to be very, very angry.

I used to live kind of in your area, and when I did I had something very close to this happen to me. It was a not to be resold situation. I'm now wondering if it's the same person.

At any rate, hope this works out and at least you found out before things got really ugly and the horse had already been sold.

I have nothing polite left to say about this person you tried to do a large favor for. What a jerk.
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Can you contact CL and tell them the horse isn't hers to sell? At least try to get the ad taken down.

And yes, try to move the horse. At least put the BO and other people on alert that he's not to be moved by anyone but you.

I'd grab the horse and then let the chips fall where they may after that.

I hope you have some sort of written contract. I've sold horses I've 'bought' but the seller knew I may be selling the horse in the long run. It was my business after all. But this, this sounds like she saw you as a sap (sorry!) and a way to make some quick (!!) money by selling for 3X the price.

I once had a lady do that to me. I found the ad in the local paper and called her. She refused to answer. After several calls I left an 'adult language' message for her. From then on, when she saw me in town, she would hop in her pickup and leave my immediate vicinity. Like you, I was trying to do someone a favor. The strange part though, my son (all of about 10 years old at the time) told me not to sell to her. He said he felt something was wrong but "I" just knew this lady would be a good home so sold cheap. But, looking back, I now know there were 'signs' and I ignored them. My son saw them and tried to warn me.

There wasn't a written contract and I did my best to muck things up for her, didn't get my horse back but she did eventually pay the money...through the mail.
    Last edited by goneriding24; Apr. 14, 2012 at 01:29 PM. Reason: .
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Thanks guys!

Contract doesn't have a clause about "what happens if you try to sell the horse before you own it". BO is the one that told me all of this, so she knows my position. I've been in this barn since September, so this isn't someone I just met yesterday - and she has two other horses boarded there. I'm sure I'll see her today.

Calvin, I tried to find the ad, but I think CL ate it.
    What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what
    lies with in us. - Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    Whoa...that's some huge set on that boarder/buyer!
    Either that or her skull is merely decorative and doesn't contain a brain.

Holy crap, I'd be spitting nails too. How rotten. And she thinks telling you she was going to pay you before she sold the horse was adequate explanation?

Kudos to you if you haven't slapped her around the barn a few times.
    Ok, this is perfect!

Good luck, OP, go get em.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Hunter Ponies & Quality GSDs
    www.UnleashedK9.net

Just curious, in the horsey world, isn't selling a horse you don't own considered theft? I suspect she would try to get the money to you before you noticed the horse was gone. How WOULD she explain the horse being gone?
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Take him back, no second chances. Period. Who the heck does she think she is? Doing something slimey, and without even giving you a dollar for him!

Call her out, publicly, for the lying, cheating sack of filth that she is. Make absolutely sure your horse is unavailable to her. Put a sign on the stall stating that you are the owner of record and the horse is not for sale, and make sure he stays in that stall with that sign posted.

For some reason, there are a lot of people who try to sell horses they don't own. DH and I nearly bought one about 10 years ago. Luckily, we had not brought a trailer or we would have been in possession of stolen property! Same thing happened to a horse I had a free lease on--the "owner" called me and told me the real owner was coming that day to pick him up.