The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

I'm so sorry - I lost 2 unexpectedly this summer and you have my heartfelt sympathies.

Can you share what happened to him?

I only followed the thread sporadically on your horse and, being the eternal optimist, assumed that you would report his improvement and recovery. I'm so sad that your news is that you had to put Seger to sleep. I certainly don't have the right words to express how sorry I am for you and him, but it's clear from the other posts that you have a lot of support here and people who feel for you. I hope that helps you at least a little bit.

What a bummer:

I have never posted a response but have followed along this thread since the beginning. Believe me I know how hard it is to go thru a time like this. But, unfortunately, this is the reality and the responsibility that we have when owning animals. It is our duty to eventually make those most difficult of decisions when it is necessary.
    The question I have is: He was only a 5 year old?!?! Wow, so young! What was wrong with him? Did your vet have any idea? I realize that his illness was not the immediate cause of his death but I have to wonder what was wrong. I realize it is difficult to talk about but I see you spend alot of time on these boards and was wondering when/if you are ready could you fill us in?
    \"Just when I thought I was out ,They pull me back in!\"
    -Sylvio Dante--\"The Sopranos\"

Cloverdale, IN (the land of corn, cattle, and one equestrian...)

... your kind comments and posts are helping me through this...the poems are beautiful... thank you...

well, the vet took bloodwork on wensday night and the results were due back last night... the vet said that it was ulcers... the reason we had to put him down is b/c he had cast himself that night after the vet left.... seger always laid down, he was always doing it in the pastures as well.

well, when i went to do morning feedings i saw he was not standing when i turned on the light and went to wake him up, when i saw that he was in the corner i was instantly sick.... i knew thiw would not be a good day. we called someone from the next town that i knew could help, and the vet kept in touch until he was out of surgery on a few smaller animals....
    when the vet arrived we chainsawed the stall wall and finally got enough room to let him try to push himself out into teh isle...seger was exhausted, but he never quit fighting.... he would try to get up, that would exhaust him so he would eat a few bites, take a long rest, then try again.... he did this all day...

after many many options to try to save him were solwly failing and seger was so exhausted he couldn't really help us help himself i decided it was time... he was lying in our isle way, and as the vet readied the injection i took his big soft head and told him i was so proud of him, that i would never forget him, i loved him, and that i was sorry...

even in his last breaths as the vet approached him to give the injections seger tried to lift his head, a finaly battle i guess against the unstoppable.... he looked into my eyes as he passed away... and i knew that he would be ok..

seger passed away sometime around one pm...

Musical_Jumper

"Event riders leave no ring unrode, no jump over turned, and no ditch filled in."

"Your competition just got better today, did you..."

http://accopmanyme.tripod.com/tiffanyswebwonderland/ ~~ Come check out my site!!
    Musical_Jumper

\"I\'m sick of the tension, sick of the hunger
    Sick of you acting like I owe you this
    Find another place to feed your greed
    While I find a place to rest\"

Oh MJ, I'm sooo sorry! What a darn shame to loose your beloved Seger. I know you did the right thing as hard as it may be. We are here to support you if you need us. Seger is in horsie heaven having a blast right now! All the oats he wants and he doesn't have to get his mane pulled ever! All my love sweetie, hang in there! Love your other mom! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

I'm so, so sorry, Musical Jumper. I can't add much to what the others have already said.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I'm SO sorry about Seger AND about what you've been going through. Hang in there, kiddo. Huge Cyber HUGS to you!!!
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Hobson, Rex and I send condolences.

The whole group at El Ranchito sends their regards, too, MJ. If it's any consolation, I'm so glad you were there to say "Farewell for now" to Seger.

"Friends don't let friends eat fish tacos."

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and I wish I could reach out and give you a BIG hug and a shoulder.

He is at peace and you are a very brave person for letting him go. He was very special and so are you.

Maria
    Maria
    Having Fun in Life is what its all about.

Musical Jumper, my sympathies and {{{hugs}}} on your loss. I hope you may take some comfort from the writings at the link, and below.

http://www.petloss.com/poems/poems.htm

"We who choose to surround ourselves with lives even more temporary than our own, live within a fragile circle, easily and often breached. Unable to accept its awful gaps, we still would live no other way. We cherish memory as the only certain immortality, never fully understanding the necessary plan."
    Irving Townsend.
    Proud adopter of Win
    http://www.defhr.org
    Days End Farm Horse Rescue
    Protection for Horses - Education for People

I've been following your story with Segar and it's outcome is heartbreaking. As someone who is so in love with her horses I can only imagine what you're going through.

This is one of my favorite Poems, and while i've read it a million times, it always seems to strike a needed nerve (people/horses...a feeling of loss whaever the circumstance) It's healthy to mourn now, and cry, and realize your loss. Then, later you can be happy that you had such a special horse enter your life, even if he was only to leave it so swiftly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    I never crossed your threshold with a grief
    But that I went without it; never came
    Heart hungry but you fed me, eased the blame,
    and gave sorrow solace and relief

I never left you but I took away
    The love that drew me to your side again
    Through that wide door that never could remain
    Quite closed between us for a little day

Oh! friend, who gave and comforted, who knew
    so overwell the want of heart and mind,
    Where may I turn for solace now, or find
    Relief from this unceasing loss of you

Be it for fault, for folly, or for sin,
    Oh! Terrible my penance, and most sore
    To face the tragedy of that closed door
    Whereby I pass by and may not enter in.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

--My most accommodating strength is my willingness to humiliate myself
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

My favorite solace:

"Though nothing can bring back the hour
    Of spendour in the grass, of glory in the flower;
    We will grieve not, rather find
    Strength in what remains behind;
    In the primal sympathy
    Which having been must ever be;
    In the soothing thoughts that spring
    Out of human suffering;
    In the faith that looks through death,
    In years that bring the philosophic mind."

Ode. Intimations of Immortality
    William Wordsworth, (1770-1850)

I have felt your pain, and I feel the echos again, but they do diminish and we are left with good memories.

My thoughts are with you.

all of your comforting messages are greatly appreciated..... tonight i beleive will be very hard.... but at least i will always be able to visit my dear friend, and no matter what he will always be home..... he will always be able to watch thunder and i canter around our paddocks liek he used to, and he'll always be able to watch over me when ive had a bad day....

the poems are beautiful everyone. thank you....

Musical_Jumper

"Event riders leave no ring unrode, no jump over turned, and no ditch filled in."

http://accopmanyme.tripod.com/tiffanyswebwonderland/ ~~ Come check out my site!!
    Musical_Jumper

I just read your story and it brought tears to my eyes. You poor dear. We had to put a horse down this summer after a sudden and traumatic illness so I know what it is like. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

ok, back injune on my birthday i was bought tickets to a Kenny Chesney concert.. ive waited for this all this time....but the concert is tomarrow and i dont feel right going out and having a good night out after having to bury my dear Seger.....

should i go ??? is it right ????? i mean, i know i cant grieve forever... but we will bury him tonight and then i will have to leave to stay at my aunt's house so i can get up early and run to town to get our hair done before the concert................ im just questioning if its right to go...........

Musical_Jumper

Musical_Jumper

VA/MD.. Uk.. Spain.. or a somewhere in between.

Hanging around feeling bad about it wont bring him back --- go, try to have fun....

*Cass*
    <~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~><~>

Fearfully, only time will tell, for it is all a leap of faith...

Life is not a spectator sport!

Smile...it makes people wonder what you have been doing [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Jocelyn

I take a chance, and steal away this movie moment -Mae

Of course! You more than deserve a fun night out. Would Seger rather you be sitting around sad or having a good time? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~*~
    This signature is being rented by JumperEq.

MJ> I'm so sorry for your lose, my thoughts are with you and Seger tonight. He knew you loved him and your lucky to spend his last moments together.

About the concert I think it's up to you if you feel like going or not. It would probably be a good thing to go and have fun, celebrate his life. He knows he was loved and you definatly wouldn't be letting him down or care any less if you went.

<It's all part of my ninja training [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img] >
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~