The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB pedigree - would love some opinions

I know there are things I like in this pedigree, but I'd love to hear from some of the experts on the board.

Rock Lobster. He's a G3 winner of $359,000 in 55 starts.
    -Jessica

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Nothing in the pedigree NOT to like. I'm most impressed with the tail female to Cockade/Camanae. Cockade was the dam of the very, very fine chasing stallion by Sadler's Wells, Old Vic. Sire of Comply Or Die and Don't Push It, both of whom won the Grand National at Aintree. Kicking King won the Cheltenham Gold Cup. Old Vic, I think also got some top quality eventers, IIRC, but I haven't checked. Camenae and HER dam, Madrilene, are both stellar lines, especially for eventing/sport stallions. This female family is pure sport horse (and chasing) TB gold. Camenae's damsire was Vimy (Wild Risk), and you're going to find this line in Lauries Crusador through Cockade's full brother High Top, and there are many, many other High Tops in eventing. The sire of High Top and Cockade was Derring-Do, who is in Stan The Man, and is one of those lines to be cherished in sport and chasing. Madrilene was also the dam of Black Sky, who got sent to Germany and was the sire of the great dressage sire, Bolero, and other German WBs. You might want to read the current thread about Bolero, whose dressage bred daughters seemed to have no jumping talent at all. But Camenae and High Top certainly are lines who have produced jumping TBs.

You have Mt. Livermore, who doesn't have a line that hasn't produced for sport, and with Camenae gives you a double to Wild Risk. Fairy King is a full brother of Sadler's Wells who has quite a few event horses--in fact, as many and all over Europe as his brother. Papila is a superlative line for soundness over generations, although she is actually a bit better for toughness through her daughters.

Shirley Heights has got at least one son who has sired sport horses of various kinds in the UK--Golden Heights.

Green Dancer is one of the best of the Nijinsky's for sport, in large part because his dam comes from lines that are SF staples.

Euromill was also the dam of a California stallion named Bartok, but I know nothing at all about him.
    Last edited by vineyridge; Apr. 14, 2012 at 02:53 AM.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Good heavens, Viney, you never stop impressing me!
    GreenGate Stables
    http://ggstables.webs.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Viney! Thank you so much! I thought I was seeing all good, but wanted to be sure. I really appreciate your analysis so much.
    -Jessica

Wanted to add - What lines would you be looking for in broodmares to breed to him?
    -Jessica

Appy08 Do you know where is he standing or how to contact his owner?

I saw him run. I recall him as more long bodied than the typical Mt. Livermore.

Did I see him listed as free to a good home by a former breeder in MA????
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    I saw him run. I recall him as more long bodied than the typical Mt. Livermore.

Did I see him listed as free to a good home by a former breeder in MA????
    If you did see him listed somewhere would you be so kind as to try to remember where... I used to own him, lost track of him and would just like to give him a forever home.. Thanks in advance

Hi All, sorry - I haven't been on much but just saw this thread. I don't know off hand where he ended up - but I'll see if I can ask around.
    -Jessica

I loved him. I was there when he won the Saranac. Also later when he won at Belmont, beating a horse I had a small share in.

The link above is the one where found him.
    F O.B

Quote Originally Posted by D_BaldStockings View Post
    Thank you!!! I just left them a voicemail, fingers crossed )!!

Lobster was always a sweet boy with a great personality I really hope I can get him back.. Thank you everyone, I'll update when I have more information, fingers crossed!

1 members found this post helpful.

I hope you find him. He was a nice horse, even though he beat my horse. I was always a fan and having New England roots, I always loved his name.
    F O.B