The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Agree with most, especially about Walter Farley, Marguerite Henry and James Herriot.

A couple of others...

I can't remember the author of Born to Race either, but I loved that book. Another good one was Black Gold -- again don't know the author's name.

Another one I read as a kid was Come on Seabuscuit.

I'm so glad someone mentioned Doodlebug! I'd forgotten about that book and if you haven't read it..run to the library now! I loved all of Jean Slaughter Doty's books but I must say I'm addicted to CW Anderson's Billy & Blaze series. The illustrations are just lovely. Would you believe that as a grown up I was given 2 illustrations done by Anderson?! A friend had a set of 12 that her grandfather had purchased in NYC many years ago, before the books were written. Seeing them in her house I commented on the artist and she surprised me with my two favorites as wedding gifts! Imagine my delight!!! Every time I look at them not only do I think fondly of my friend, but I remember the horseless time of my childhood and living vicariously through Billy and the forest fire, etc.

Another book that I don't remember seeing on here is Anna Sewells Black Beauty...cliche but such a tearjerker! A Very Young Rider made a huge impression on me...I must have studied every picture down to the most minute detail...except for the picture of her going down the swimming pool slide - there weren't any horses in that picture. does anyone know what ever became of Vivi Malloy?

Thelwell! i loved those books... i really hope they're still at my parents house and not lost forever. i tried to find them for a friend when i was in England, but the lady at the shop (a totally equnie bookstore!)said they're long out of print, and they're snatched up immediately if they ever come in used.

Oh, I LOVE the Thelwell books~ have quite a collection! But no one mentioned "The Rain Cloud Pony"~ about a girl down the road who rides her friend's pony dressed as her friend while she sneaks to see her boyfriend. Geez, I can't believe I remember that! I read the book in 3rd grade & always wanted a copy, but never found one. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] And of course, I still have my "Danny" book that I got from the Troll Book club back '82, that poor thing is just about worn out! http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/tongue.gif SUZ
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

Has anybody heard of or read a book called "Everyday friends"? It's about a couple of pre-teen girls and horse shows. I can't remember who wrote it though.
    \"In all manners of opinion, our adversaries are insane.\" Mark Twain

And a book called Rider By Night, whichg was set I believe in a Scandanavian country. A girl who could no longer afford to ride snuck out at night and rode her friend's horse.

The Horse Tamer by Walter Farley. Light Horsekeeping (I can't remember who wrote it). The Green Grass of Wyoming (the last book in the My Friend Flicka series).

To those of you with A Very Young Rider-- the woman I bought my mare from is one of the kids, as is my current trainer (the only little boy).

I have A Very Young Rider from when i was a kid. I think i too studied all the pictures. I wanted a pony club pin to put on my riding helmet too!

I cried thru the Crum although now i cant really remember the entire story.

I must've read every Walter Farley book in my jr. high's library.

Several of my favories...
    Ruffian
    the Panky and William series of books
    Danny
    For the Love of a Horse
    Thunder
    A Very Young Rider
    All Walter Farley books
    The Crumb

my gosh there are so many more that i know arent listed here but i just cant think of the names.

I too would love to know what happened to the Malloy's. I'll keep checking back to see if someone has posted info on them!

I think i'm going to print off this post so i can go to the library and get all the books i havent read! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]
    Lionheart - Tipperary Farm - Grayslake, IL USA
    Cleveland Bay Performance Horses
    www.tipperaryfarm.us
    www.tipperarystud.com

Have found the authors of two books I posted earlier. Black Gold was written by Margeurite Henry. Come on Seabiscuit by R. Moody.

Another favorite was Margeurite Henry's Born to Trot about a horse that won the Hambletonian.

Ok, I dug into my collection and check on a few of the authors names we couldn't remember.

For Rider by Night, the author is Karin Anckarsvard.

As for Born to Race, that is by Blanche Chenery Perrin. I have a feeling a lot of people don't realize there is a second book to Born to Race called Hundred Horse Farm. It begins with Whickery coming home after her successful win in the Kentucky Derby!

Anyone else remember Hard Luck Horse? it was about a horse named Woody Dip that needed an operation to save his sight?

Another real old story that I loved was Star Crossed Stallion about an arabian stallion that was labeled a bad luck horse. Ring a bell with anyone?

I love talking about all these stories, it makes me feel a little bit more like a child again!!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by J. Turner:
    A poll: What is your favorite Black Stallion book?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The Black Stallion's Filly. By far the best!!!!!

Did anyone read that book "Last Junior Year"? It's about a girl whose parents are not really that supportive about her showing and so she goes and grooms in Florida to get to the shows with her junior hunter. She ends up doing some catch riding for a former Olympian and is asked to come ride at Gladstone.

The other one I just remembered was "Tic-Tac".

CWP - YES! YES! I LOVED THAT BOOK! I read that book about the same time i read The Crumb. It was a great book. It was one of those that i couldn't remember the name of!
    Lionheart - Tipperary Farm - Grayslake, IL USA
    Cleveland Bay Performance Horses
    www.tipperaryfarm.us
    www.tipperarystud.com

Well, you all bring past memories to me. Jean Slaughter Doty who passed away a few years ago is my mother. She wrote many books and most of them about horses. "The Crumb" "Can I get there by Candlelight" "The Monday Horses" "Dark Horse" "Summer Pony" "Winter Pony" "Horses around the world" "Pony Care" and "Horsemanship for begginers" and many more childrens books. Many of my ponies (and myself) and her childhood have been mixed around in these books.

She was a wonderfull writer and a wonderfull horsewoman. She grew up with George Morris, Victor Hugo-Vidal and Ronnie Mutch. She judged the Maclay finals twice.

I miss her dearly and loved to read on this board how many of you remembered her.

She also wrote for the Chronicle.

Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Fivensevn (edited 05-17-2000).]

edit
    Last edited by Goodyfourshoes!; May. 20, 2007 at 02:03 AM.

I have never read a Very Young Rider- I need to someday!

I too loved Born to Run, it was classic! Ruffian- That made me cry so many times over.

CWP- Who write the Last Jr Year?? I need to read that one too! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I own every thelwell Puzzle EVER made, those books, the cartoons, framed in our front hall is one of the huge family- its JUST like us [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] I LOVED those.

What a wonderful thing for you to post about your mother! Thank you for sharing...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fivensevn:
    Well, you all bring past memories to me. Jean Slaughter Doty who passed away a few years ago is my mother. She wrote many books and most of them about horses. "The Crumb" "Can I get there by Candlelight" "The Monday Horses" "Dark Horse" "Summer Pony" "Winter Pony" "Horses around the world" "Pony Care" and "Horsemanship for begginers" and many more childrens books. Many of my ponies (and myself) and her childhood have been mixed around in these books.

She was a wonderfull writer and a wonderfull horsewoman. She grew up with George Morris, Victor Hugo-Vidal and Ronnie Mutch. She judged the Maclay finals twice.

I miss her dearly and loved to read on this board how many of you remembered her.

She also wrote for the Chronicle.

Thank you!

[This message has been edited by Fivensevn (edited 05-17-2000).]
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I LOVED Marguerite Henry - there is an obsure out of print book she wrote called Dear Readers and Riders which answers questions about all her books and has many awesome photos! I found it in the library when I was in 3rd grade and checked it out about 1000000 times! It was my favorite b/c it gave all these neat details about all her books and introduced me to some I had never read. Like the one about 5'oclock Charlie - loved that one too!

And of course a Very Young Rider - another one for the memories! I was shocked when I got older and realized that all the people she talked about like the USET team and George Morris were all real! I would LOVE to find a copy of that book!

Sarah
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

Becca, Last Junior Year was written by Barbara Morgenroth. You can find out of print books both on Amazon and bibliofind, but be prepared to pay for them! I am waiting for a copy of A Very Young Rider, but can't find it for less than $50!

Thank you Fivensevn for sharing with us. Your mother has made so many children (and adults it seems) happy over the years through her gift of story telling. I know when I started my collection of childrens horse books, hers were the first ones that I HAD to find, and of course read again.

I used to dream of what it would be like to own and ride Mokey or Crumb, Cat Burglar and all the rest of the wonderful horses she wrote about!!
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck