The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Harpo:
    I have an article that I keep in my copy of the book - it tells when Ready Penny died - she was 20 something. I also saw (in the few years after the book came out) the older sister's name in the Chronicle on occasion - but haven't seen anything lately - and never saw anything about about the little girl.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My trainer has a program from the National Horse Show from the very early 80's (I want to say 1980, but I'm not sure). It has the list of all of the Maclay competetors, and low and behold, one of them is Vivi Malloy. There are a bunch of other people on the list that are big time prix riders and trainers today. It was cool to be able to place her name amongst theirs.

The barn, or at a show. depends on how I\'m feelin ;)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Clive's Mom:
    [B]My favorite was a book called, Can You Get Me There by Candlelight? (I think by JS Doty as well - I also enjoyed The Crumb and others). It's been years since I've even looked at those old great books.

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] AHHH!!! I LOVE "Can I Get There By Candlelight!!!" also, "Dark Horse" is pretty great too! Jean Slaughter Doty is a wonderful writer!
    ~Gina

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dublin:
    My favorite was "Afraid to Ride", by C.W. Anderson...good story, beautiful illustrations. I was very happy to find a copy through Bibliofind recently! I'd recommend ANY of his books.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me TOO!! I almost forgot about that book. Weren't CW Anderson's illustrations incredible?

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Debby Malloy married one of the Winklers and rides jumpers in Germany. Every once in awhile you'll see her name in The Chronicle in the results from the European shows.

I believe someone once posted that Vivi grew up to to do the jumpers as well, with a string of AO horses? http://www.chronofhorse.com/ubb/confused.gif

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

King of the Wind, Lord Buff and the Silver Star, and Dinah and Virginia (all time fav.)How bout Horses Round the World, by Slaughter..Then we have 2 really old ones, [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] Harlequin Hullabaloo and Charm of the Shadows. That will date you! Oops, completely forgot, Album of Horses, by Henry & Dennis....

[This message has been edited by wtywmn4 (edited 05-13-2000).]

A Filly for Joan -- I think that was my favorite CW Anderson book. I wanted to be Joan sooo bad.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

When I was little, I fell asleep EVERY night reading the Billy and Blaze. And then the next morning I would go out, ride Taggy, and pretend we were saving the barn from fire, or the robbers, or whatever Blaze had done in last nights story. I learned to read from them [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

And of us "Youngsters" We must have ALL read The Saddle Club books!!

I am yet to have gotten my hands on a copy of Horsemasters the book, nor Horse In The GRey Flannel Suit- two of my all time favorite movies.

Anyone remember "Jill Enjoys Her Ponies"? I checked out that book so many times in our Elementary School library. That was my all time favorite. I think it was printed in England.

Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry were among my favorites. How about Will James and Smoky the Cowhorse? One of the first books I ever read was called "Polly's Oats." I loved it and always got it from the library. I found it a few years ago. Thans for the fun trip down memory lane.

I am yet to have gotten my hands on a copy of Horsemasters the book, nor Horse In The GRey Flannel Suit- two of my all time favorite movies.[/B][/QUOTE]

Horse in the Gray Flannel Suit was actually originally called "The Year of the Horse" one of my all time favorites - it was, of course, slightly different from the movie - much more real and true to the horse show world, but basically the same story.

Harlequin Hullaballoo!!! Yes, wtywoman, that didn't even make it to the two (?) old books threads (worth reviewing for those who like this one)! You know, I still have my old copy of that one! Again, Farley and Henry, King of the Wind and Smoky (I read Smoky so many times my brother could open it at random and I could recite it by heart, wish I could do that now, you know?). BTW, what about a book called, "The Happy Year"? Came to mind when looking at the Margaret Cabell Self thread...anyone else remember that one?
    Tinwhistle Farm

WOW is this thread bringing back some memories! CW Anderson, Marguerite Henry, Walter Farley, all favorites of mine...Does anyone remember a book (I got it from one of those Weekly Reader school order forms when I was in about 5th grade) about a pony who was lost, and found by a brother and sister who took it to a show where it was reclaimed by its rightful owner after winning the works? The kids ended up with the pony in the end of course, and I think the pony's name was "Top Honor." That was one that I read and re-read when I was young, and I can remember keeping my eyes peeled for ages afterwards, looking for a "lost" pony to claim as my own.

These are all bringing back memories to me too. And, I have another that I cannot remember either the title or the author. It was another one of those weekly reader books, about a young prehistoric boy whose family hunted horses for meat. He found a young, injured horse in a box canyon and ended up barricading it in so he could cure it. Of course, in time he tried to ride it and that was (ta da) the beginning of the partnership between man and horse! I read that book until the covers fell off.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

In my family we have two seperate levels of "horse" books"...the ones I read and loved as a young girl and the ones my daughter and I together have read and fallen in love with. And in many cases these overlap. But one had a profund influence. We read so often when my daughter was little that my husband said it bordered on brainwashing.....

FRITZ AND THE BEAUTIFUL HORSES by Jan Brett. It's a wonderful little kids book about a fat shaggy pony who lives outside a city that values beautiful, elegant, high-strung horses. When all the children of the village and their parents are out riding one day, the bridge to their walled city breaks leaving the children stranded on one side of a steep ravine. Their fancy horses don't want to get their feet wet, or get their manes tangled or are simply afraid to cross and the children are afraid of their horses bucking and shying, leaping and prancing. But then Fritz comes to the rescue and as the story goes...

"Fritz was not beautiful but he was gentle and kind. He was sure footed and always ready to work. The children were not afraid to ride him..."

Fritz safely carries all the children across the ravine and through the river to their parents where he is made a hero.

Today my daughter is an ardent and enthusiastic pony rider. She and I together raise and train ponies for other children to enjoy. Looks like the brainwashing took!

I forgot about "The Blind Connemara" by CW Anderson! That was the first one of his I read, after the Billy and Blaze series. I've always wanted a Connemara after that book.

A poll: What is your favorite Black Stallion book?
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

My favorite Black Stallion book, hmm. I think its a tie between the original book and the book that brought The Black and the Island Stallion together, "The Black Stallion and Flame". The vampire bat in that last book scared the willies out of me!
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

M. O'Conner, I think the book you are talking abut was 'Somebody's Pony'. It was published under two different titles and I don't remember the author. It was a great one!
    All of the Dorothy Lyons books were great. Silver Birch, Dark Sunshine, Blue Smoke.
    Afraid to Ride, A Horse of Her Own, Scarlet Royal and what was that one about the girl who is raised on a racing farm? They breed a filly who wins the Kentucky Derby. The filly's name was Whickery. The Silver Brumby books, The Horsemasters, and one about a girl with an anglo/arab mare who does the jumpers. The authors first name was Gillian.
    I have got to unbox those things.

Oh, and of course theres National Velvet! I adored that one.

And I forgot to mention Jame HErriot. I used to read every one of those books over and over again (By the time I was about 8 I had read Every Living Thing 10 times-But hyis best was Bonnie's Big Day. I LOVED it.

However, I have a confession to make- I have NEVER read the Black Stallion books. I have them all sitting on a book shelf in my room, the complete series. But I have never read any of them.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

I have Somebody's Pony, it is by Nancy Caffrey and illustrated by Jeanne Mellin. The dustjacket is a bit ragged but the horse/pony on it is lovely. The dustjacket also states that both the author and the illustrator were taught by Margaret Cabell Self. There is a photo on the back of them sitting bareback and hatless on a Morgan looking horse with tennis shoes and rolled up jeans. hahaha pretty cool dustjacket I must say.:-)

Choose a favorite??? AUGH!!!!! No way. I love them all. One day a few years ago I happened upon a copy of a horse book I remembered reading as a kid and that was the start of my childs horse book collection! I've got a huge bookcase at home packed with almost all of the books that have been mentioned so far.

Someone asked about the book with Whickery, that was Born to Race, I can't remember the authors name off hand. If you want it let me know and I'll have to check when I'm at home.

No ones mentioned any of Marjorie Reynolds books...Dark Horse Barnaby, Keep a Silver Dollar....etc

Or how about the Sunbonnet books by Barbara Van Tuyl? A Horse Called Bonnie, Sunbonnet, Fily of the Year, Sweet Running Filly...etc.

Two other fabulous books were by Diana Walker, Horse of the Year and A Horse for Mother. Anyone remember reading those???

How about Pony Farm by Paul Brown?

I could go on and on and on..but I'll refrain for know. There are just so many wonderful horse books out there.
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck