The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

OK, I know some of you are as old as I am and should remember my favorites, The 3 Jays by Pat Smythe. This was a series of 3 or 4 books involving the ficticious horsey exploits of her young cousins and their friends while living in her household.
    'Computers are useless. They can only give you answers.'
    - Pablo Picasso

Ahhhh memories. My all time favorite was A Very Young Rider. I used to read that book over and over from cover to cover. I also loved Summer Pony by Doty.

But who could forget the Black Stallion series by Walter Farley? I had all the books in the series and would go on a kick and read them all from start to finish.
    Visit my farm at www.hiddenrockfarm.com

I will always love "The Lucky Pony"! I wore that fake metal neckalace every day for a year when I was little!

I can't believe nobody mentioned Danny, aboutthe gray pony....Morgenroth's Last Junior Year is still a favorite as is Lucy Diggs' Everyday Friends. I adored Doty because her portrayal of the show circuit was so real. I am sad to hear of her passing.
    Here is a list of some others not mentioned that are worth picking up if you spot them:
    Ride a Dark Horse, Mystery of Pony Hollow (and anything else) by Lynn Hall
    Taming the Star Runner- S.E. Hinton- WONDERFUL
    A horse for XYZ- Louise Moeri
    The Secret Horse- Marion Holland
    Not on a White Horse- Nancy Springer
    Somebody's horse- Doroth Nafus Morrison
    I Don't Want A New Horse- Marion Holland
    Pretty Penny Farm- Joanne Hoppe
    and also there was a neat series that they never concluded called Blue Ribbon about girls who evented.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

AAAAAHHHHH, what about The Girl Who Loved Wild Horses . I may not be about riding show ponies or anything like that but I cried everytime I read that book, I still have a copy of it and love it dearly!!
    - - - - - -
    \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

Jessica missed a few on that bibliography list - the 5 or so Lavinia Davis come to mind immediately. Not to mention the at least dozen Paul Brown's.

Glenn Balch was AHSA Alan's parent from what I've been told (Californians correct me, please!)

Eleanor May's BUCKLE HORSE is one of my favorites, right along with Paul Brown's HI GUY - The Cinderella Horse. Both are real tearjerkers - but Hi Guy (probably because he looks JUST like my retiree) is beyond words.

George & His Horse Bill by Alsop is also wonderful - wild horse winds up winning Maryland Hunt Cup..

Of course, all the above are illustrated by Paul Brown (need I say more??)
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

Not about showing, but "Beat the Turtle Drum" makes me cry every time. I recently found a copy on eBay too!

To anyone who has read it - I never did find anyone who would rent me a horse for a week, but I saved my money just in case!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bumpkin:
    Pamela and the Blue Mare was great. I don't recall the author's but the books titled Scarlet Royal and Pidgie's Surprise were also favourites of mine. I am certain that I will be back with more....:-)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have Pamela and the Blue Mare and Scarlet Royal! How about "Hold the Rein Free"? I also have one I can't recall the name of but involved a girl who inherited Gazelle and Bluebird from her uncle. Gazelle died in a stable fire and the girl went on to successful jumper showing on Bluebird.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Marnye:
    Walter Farley and Marguerite Henry were among my favorites. How about Will James and Smoky the Cowhorse? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a signed copy of Born to Trot. Did you know that the farm where Walter Farley lived while illustrating Misty of Chincoteague is up the hill behind Ben and Mary's Steak House on Rt. 17 outside of Warrenton? A friend of ours lives there now.

On our "honeymoon" my second husband and my son and I went to Goshen New York to the famous harness track and went to the birthplace of Hambletonian - just like the illustration in the book!
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Everythingbutwings:
    I have a signed copy of Born to Trot. Did you know that the farm where Walter Farley lived while illustrating Misty of Chincoteague is up the hill behind Ben and Mary's Steak House on Rt. 17 outside of Warrenton? A friend of ours lives there now.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Huh? Are you sure about that?

I don't think of Walter Farley as an illustrator. Most of Marguerite Henry's books were illustrated by Wesley Dennis.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Pony Jungle by Lavina Davis!!!! I still think the reason I love gray ponies is because of Grey Mouse!

Wesley Dennis not Walter Farley, like Janet said.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Good call, Clemson Rider! If memory serves, that's a Caldecot winner.

You should also read "Fritz & the Beautiful Horses" by Jan Brett. It is a great read for younger children with a great message. I know you love ponies, so you'd love Fritz and all that he stands for!! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

I can't believe only one person mentioned it, but I LOVED "The Secret Horse" when I was growing up... it was my absolute fantasy as a horseless little girl. It was about a girl who sees a skinny horse at the pound (because we all know neglected horses get sent to the pound!) and sneaks it out. She and a friend clear out an old, unused barn on the neighbor's overgrown property and keep the horse there, pulling out handfuls of long grass and drying it into hay to feed him... oh the memories, I used to imagine how I could keep a horse in the woods behind my house! In the end, the owner of the house spots them, and then lets them keep the horse there...
    And, other favorites were "Fritz" (always loved the illustrations), "Afraid to Ride," "Candlelight" and Thelwell. Also, did Marguerite Henry write a book about "Exterminator" the race horse, or was that someone else. I loved that book about the skinny excercise horse that won the Kentucky Derby. OK, rambling down memory lane now.
    I evented just for the Halibut.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by NeverTime:
    Also, did Marguerite Henry write a book about "Exterminator" the race horse, or was that someone else. I loved that book about the skinny excercise horse that won the Kentucky Derby.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I am not sure who wrote the book but it was titled "Old Bones". That was the nickname given to Exterminator - the skinny ugly racehorse that won the Derby. Great book!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Janet:
    Huh? Are you sure about that?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well duh, I must have my head on backwards, I meant Wesley Dennis. He had Misty at the farm while doing the illustrations. A friend of ours lives there now but won't let me peek into the attics!

I have Old Bones the Wonder Horse. Not by Marguerite Henry, though, a different author. Wonderful story.