The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Has anyone read "Pamela and the Blue Mare"? (You are OLD if you have!)
    What about "The Crumb" by Doty? (can't remember author's first name)It's a much more contemporary story about showing - and addresses the win-at-all-costs issue. I loved it and when I was teaching, kept it constantly out of circulation from my school's library!
    Vicki and the Black Horse?
    The Redhead and the Roan?

Has anyone read "Pamela and the Blue Mare"? (You are OLD if you have!)
    What about "The Crumb" by Doty? (can't remember author's first name)It's a much more contemporary story about showing - and addresses the win-at-all-costs issue. I loved it and when I was teaching, kept it constantly out of circulation from my school's library!
    Vicki and the Black Horse?
    The Redhead and the Roan?

Marguerite Henry and Walter Farley, Billy and Blaze. My all time favorite is King of the Wind.

I'm a big fan of all of Jean Slaughter Doty's books (Summer Pony, Winter Pony, Monday Horses, Crum), as well as all of Marguerite Henry's books. My all time favorite book is A Very Young Rider, but Jill Krementz. I just got a lovely copy of it off of Ebay a few months ago.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Pamela and the Blue Mare was great. It was illustrated by Paul Brown so it is a bit pricey now to find even on Ebay. Lavinia Davis was a real favourite with Hobby Horse Hill, and Sandy's Spurs, (which I read last night, haha!!) Jeannie Mellin and Patsey Grey illustrated and wrote some wonderful stories. Patsey Grey's were centered on horse shows in California. A Paul Brown illustrated book titled, Pam's Paradise Ranch was a nice book about riding in Hawaii. I don't recall the author's but the books titled Scarlet Royal and Pidgie's Surprise were also favourites of mine. I am certain that I will be back with more....:-)

My 1 year old grandaughter loves "Pat The Pony"! May she discover many more horse books as she grows!

My favorite was a book called, Can You Get Me There by Candlelight? (I think by JS Doty as well - I also enjoyed The Crumb and others). It's been years since I've even looked at those old great books.

A Very Young Rider was also a FAVORITE. The author did a whole series, A Very Young Dancer, etc. along the same lines. I hope when I have kids I can still find these books at the local library.

Good Thread - now I'm getting all nostalgic...

"Fritz and the beautiful horses" still makes me cry just thinking about it! Its for young kids. I spent hours reading/rereading it to my daughter when she was little. We had a pony JUST like the one in the book! All the Billy and Blaze books are great - I remember loving Little Black (the pony) and Big Red (the horse) and the trio that started with My Friend Flicka..I wish I had kept those. I never see the rest of them at any equine booksellers at expos any more.

Anything by Jean Slaughter Doty... I made my mom go buy me all of 'em last year (yes, when I was 17) and I read them when I go home on vacations... certainly a change from my macroecon textbook... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I used to be obsessed with the Saddle Club, but only with like the first twenty of the series, then they got repetitive and dull.

The first couple of Thoroughbred series, but then they changed authors and kept changing the child focus and it got DUMB so I stopped with those. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

There were also two books in the library, I think one was called Fly By Night or maybe that was the horse's name or maybe that has nothing to do with them at all... Anyway, there are these two books in my old libe that I pick out by their cover and can't remember the name of that are my alltime fave...

Also, an Austrailian book name A New Horse for Marny, which is just aweomse... It's more eventing-based but it's still good. I found it in an off-the-wall tack shop when I was like 14.

Yes, yes, I have many many horse... All the M. Henry books, of course... I'll have to consult my collection when I get back to my parent's house and get back to you. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

If you have a copy of A Very Young Rider, hang onto it! Not only is it out of print, but I was looking at www.bibliofind.com last night and a good copy of it was going for up to $100! I remember loving that story. . .What ever happened to the Malloys?

Jo,

The name of the book is Fly by Night- and I loved it. I still have a mine.

I also loved the book "A Horse Came Running" and was absolutely addicted to the Black Stallion series. Being the smallest one in my class I was CONVINCED I could be a jockey [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

The heart and soul of Silicon Valley/Valley of the Heart\'s Delight....Sunnyvale, CA

My favorite was "Afraid to Ride", by C.W. Anderson...good story, beautiful illustrations. I was very happy to find a copy through Bibliofind recently! I'd recommend ANY of his books....
    In Honor of dublin aka Dee Dee 07/24/53-02/07/03
    ~~~~~
    \"Of course, that\'s just my opinion. I could be wrong.\" - Dennis Miller
    *Go Bruins - Go Niners*

Fly By Night is an awesome book.

How about "Doodlebug", which is about a girl who dreams of owning a Beatiful Black Stallion with Flying Mane and Tail and ends up buying a scruffy black pony--who turns out to be a champion Hackney Pony stallion who, cleaned up and appreciated for what he is (instead of being compared enviously with her neighbor's pretty mare Daisy), turns out to be her dream horse. *sniff*

A Horse like Mr. Ragman is a great book, loved Scarlet Royal, a Horse named Dragon (wild POAs!), etc. And of course The Black Stallion, Marguerite Henry....

JenniferS

Kickapoo (barrel racing)
    Working Trot (awesome dressage -- modern -- accurate)
    The Thoroughbred -- from a teen romance series -- steamy and good
    All CW Anderson! I loved Man O' War. His illustrations are so nice.
    Not just Vicki and the Black Horse -- Vicki and the Brown Mare -- she finds horse that ends up being a show jumper that has more talent than she can handle.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will. - Gandhi

A Pony of my Own (came across it for my kids - both love it)

Dinah and Virginia (Virginia is a talking know-it-all mare who's also done it all! - much older book)
    \"Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of solitaire. It is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole and, once it has done so, he will have to accept that his life will be radically changed.\" -- Ralph Waldo E

Gosh, I get all choked up just reading some of the titles - such memories!

I love all the CW Anderson books - all I need still is "Sketchbook" and I have 'em all. Of course, I'd like to find it without breaking the bank, ya know?!
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Books - my second fave topic!
    (and in case anyone lasn't checked it ut, there are several LONG book threads from Dec/Jan)

Pamela & the Blue Mare as well as its sequel, The Blue Mare in the Olympic Trials are the two absoute BEST horse books ever written. I learned more about basic riding, dressage, training, et al from those books when I was young than anywhere else. Most people think riders/trainers were unsophisticated in the 50's & 60's - and these books prove otherwise!

I have tried for years to find out who Alice L. O'Connell was - but to no avail. Even asked some of the Team members from that era, but, it may have been a pseudonym. She does credit and thank Jimmy Wofford's father and Bert DeNemethy's mentor - D'Endrody (author of Give Your Horse A Chance) in the second book!

I repeat, my absolute favorites - and what I wouldn't give for a signed 1st in dustjacket...even unsigned....

Another great one is Nancy Caffery - wonderful stories and fine illustrations... Then there is CW Anderson...Well, as I have said before, I have 25,000 books in my barn, so I could go on and on.

There is an excellent bibliography of horse books by Terri Wear published about 12 years ago. Also worth finding.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

I have a ragged old copy of The Horsemasters (Old Disney Movie was made from the book), Afraid to Ride, Brighty of the Grand Canyon, Flip, The Horse Show--and the Timber Trail Riders series. There's a bunch more I bought through the Weekly Readers Book Club (remember that, Baby Boomers?) and I'd be so excited when we ordered them (at anywhere from .50 to $1.00 a book!) I love to read them even now!

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Oh one of the paperbacks I got from school that I wore out was Golden Soverign. I need to find that one, I recall reading and rereading it, and now I cannot recall the story!! YIKES I'm getting olde!!hahaha

I have an article that I keep in my copy of the book - it tells when Ready Penny died - she was 20 something. I also saw (in the few years after the book came out) the older sister's name in the Chronicle on occasion - but haven't seen anything lately - and never saw anything about about the little girl.

My all time favorite - Charlotte and the White Horse - a very small book illustrated by, of all people, Maurice Sendak - before he went on to fame and fortune, I think. We're talking the 50s here. I have a badly dog chewed copy still, and am waiting because it is supposed to be released any day now (because it's a Maurice Sendak book). I used to have it memorized - but now only remember the opening "This is the song of Charlotte, and Milky Way, her horse. He was born in a stable." and the ending "she always remembered to give him lots of hay because horses eat all night when they're not sleeping." I've always remembered that when I leave the barn at night. Sorry to babbly on so long.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by CWP:
    If you have a copy of A Very Young Rider, hang onto it! Not only is it out of print, but I was looking at www.bibliofind.com last night and a good copy of it was going for up to $100! I remember loving that story. . .What ever happened to the Malloys?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>