The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pippa Funnell out of Olympic contention (and James Alliston in the mix)

from the Telegraph:

Pippa Funnell's Olympic equestrian dream is over

Pippa Funnell, 43, is out of contention for London 2012 following recent injuries to her top rides, Redesigned and Billy Shannon. The former European champion, who won team silver and individual bronze in the Athens 2004 Olympic three-day event, said she was “devastated”, while British equestrian team performance director, Will Connell, conceded Funnell’s unavailability was a “setback”. The nature of the injuries has not been disclosed.
    (I hope both horses heal well.)

And also:

Funnell had been vying for the fifth berth alongside Tina Cook, the 2008 bronze medallist, Oliver Townend, Lucy Wiegersma and Zara Phillips, although a further candidate has emerged.

Breisner revealed he is now considering the California-based British passport holder James Alliston, 26, who has won his two most recent three-star internationals in the US and is among the favourites for Kentucky at the end of this month.

That's really too bad.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

That is too bad...

Although....also what great news for James Alliston! I will be pulling for him...it would be really so great for him.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Wow, that's heartbreaking. Won't that be quite the "tables turned" if James Alliston makes the team
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Thumbs down such is life

I'm sorry to hear that; what can we say?;except that is life with horses!
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Thumbs up Pippa said it better!

Disappointment is part and parcel of equine sport; perhaps that is why the successes are so sweet
    breeder of Mercury!

remember to enjoy the moment, and take a moment to enjoy and give God the glory for these wonderful horses in our lives.BECAUSE: LIFE is What Happens While Making Other Plans

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

If she was one of many vying for the 5th spot, who are the guaranteed four? I can see WFP, of course, and Mary King, and maybe Nicola Wilson, but who is the other one? Piggy French?
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Yogi is a smart guy.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

I feel sorry for pippa but I am so happy for james. Great news for him!
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

But...

Even though James holds a British passport his rides are American - are they not? Don't they have to be British owned at least in part?

Just wondering about the rules as there were several high profile horses traded before the Dec 31st deadline!

Quote Originally Posted by GiantHim! View Post
    But...

Even though James holds a British passport his rides are American - are they not? Don't they have to be British owned at least in part?

Just wondering about the rules as there were several high profile horses traded before the Dec 31st deadline!
    India McEvoy is listed as the owner of Jumbo's Jake, don't know if James has part ownership... but James owns Parker outright.

This is great, great news for James. I was lucky enough to ride with him for a bit while I was in CA, and he is really just a wonderful horseman and exceptional rider.

Wow, too bad about Pippa, I've always thought she was one fantastic rider. They need to rename "Eventing" to "Endless Heartbreak" Just gotta keep kicking on.