The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Where to watch Rolex coverage around Durham, NC?

There are bars with televisions that show sports, right? Is there a bar that might be streaming Rolex coverage? If not... is there maybe a bar owner somewhere who is also a horse person, who might be persuaded to make an event of the event? I don't have a TV and can watch on my computer, but it would be fun to go somewhere to watch with others.

Maybe Satisfaction's? It depends on what other sporting events are going on then, I suppose, but Satis has a bunch of TV's and in the daytime I'd imagine they'd change the channel for you. If not, you could walk across the street to Alivias or Devines and try them. A little college-y at night (I'm at Duke) but i'd imagine during the day its fine!

Or get some friends together and have a Rolex party.

Try Tobacco Road near American Tobacco. They have so many tvs I could see them being willing to do that.

Who'd be game for a COTHer meet-up if we can talk a bar into showing Rolex? Just a thought...
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

That time of year again. Any interest in making a viewing party happen in Durham or Chapel Hill?

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Who'd be game for a COTHer meet-up if we can talk a bar into showing Rolex? Just a thought...

ooh, I could be interested, Though realistically I may be running around getting ready for Southern 8ths. Hmm.

I would be interested in a Rolex-watching party in Durham/CH area.

I'll be in my lab at Duke watching the live streaming as much as possible but I'd love to get together with some other COTHers!

I'd be game to host at my house in Hillsborough. We can livestream on my TV. I have very friendly cats so hopefully that won't be a problem.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

how do you lifestream to your tv?
    ~Run and Jump!~

If any of you successfully get one of the local bars to show it, I'd love to know who it is--they will get my business.

Quote Originally Posted by xcjumper View Post
    how do you lifestream to your tv?
    I have a smart TV with a browser built it. If that runs slow, I can connect my laptop via HDMI. It was a post-surgical present to myself and I like it very, very much.

If you want to watch the show jumping, get a small group together, and call your local ginormous sports bars ahead of time, and it shouldn't be that hard to find a place that will be happy to show you some Rolex while you eat hot wings and drink beer. I did it in Columbia MD a few years ago, and it was really fun.

But now that I have a smart tv, wifi, and a good laptop, I just plug the laptop to the TV via HDMI and make it the world's largest laptop monitor. That's how I'll be watching XC. (Go Colleen & Shiraz! Go Petite Flower!)
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Thanks to all who have responded! I've done a bit more due diligence and here's what I have found:

Fullsteam: willing to discuss in future but full up for coming weekend.

Bull McCabe's: willing but only has Direct TV capability (I don't think Rolex is broadcasted on any Direct TV channel, am I wrong?)

Tyler's Taproom: they don't guarantee spaces and only support commercial broadcasts.

West End Wine Bar: they have apple tv and can live stream to their tvs through any apple device! The bar opens at 4 however. That said they might be able to open earlier to accommodate a private party (at additional cost).

I haven't yet pursued Chapel Hill options. Anyone want to add to the picture?

Jen, thanks for your more than generous offer! Just taking one step further to see if there's not another (public) option before you open the gates!

1 members found this post helpful.

I have a friend who bartends at Satisfaction. I'm happy to ask her.

Here's the stupidest question ever: what time is the broadcast? Depending on that, I might be up to watch! I'm in CH.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I can look into some bars in Chapel Hill. I know someone who owns a wine bar off Franklin St. Would you guys be into that if he could stream?

Wine is *always* a good plan.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    Wine is *always* a good plan.
    Email sent to the owner. I'll let you all know what he says.

Maybe try Tobacco Road in Durham, too? They certainly have plenty of TVs, although I'm not sure they have a way to live stream.

I should be studying for finals, but I might take a break to watch some Rolex with COTHers!