The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Favorite XC/Eventing quotes

Hello folks,

I am doing an informational speech on eventing, and I need to include a quote (and the source).

I'm looking for a few lines that can describe the esscense of what it's like to ride XC to a non-horse person. Also, if you know any that describe eventing as a whole that would be helpful as well. Anyone have any favorites?

I know there are some great ones from the likes of Denny and Wofford, but I can't seem to find them. Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by BarnBrat; Apr. 13, 2012 at 02:05 PM.

From EN: http://eventingnation.com/home/good-...cks-horse.html

5…4….3….2…1….SWEET FREEDOM!!!!!!!!! I’m running and I’m jumping and then I’m running faster and jumping higher. Does life get any better than this?
    ?

But in general 5..4..3..2..1 ...Have a great ride, or variations thereof

Ralph Hill: "ride it like you stole it"

3 days, 3 ways

The EN motto: Red on the Right, White on the Left, Insanity in the Middle
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

It takes a community

Most fun you can have with your clothes on?

Those are all great, but I don't think they'd mean much to non-horse people. I should have been more specific!

I need quotes that describe what it's like to ride XC, how awesome it is gallop a 1,200 pound animal around XC and jump huge and demanding fences.

I know you're looking for quotes, but how about a little story to start off your speech? Maybe something along the lines of:

Moments of pure adrenaline are heavily sought after. The sprinter as she crosses the finish line, the chef as she carefully garnishes her masterpiece, the musician as she lifts her bow off the last, resonating chord: each of these individuals has found adrenaline in different ways. My fix comes from eventing. Galloping out of the start box towards the first jump, watching your horse's ears prick forward as you hear his hooves pounding on the terrain, you find yourself a mixture of anticipation, anxiety, and hope. Hope that your horse will behave, hope that all your hard work will amount to something, hope that you're about to have the time of your life. You see the first jump looming ahead of you, its imposing size and stature making you uneasy for you know that one miscalculated step could be devastating to horse and rider. You push the worry out of your mind and with unwavering determination, ride your horse into the jump. It's only a matter of seconds before you feel him rise, his front legs bending to propel you both over this giant obstacle. Suddenly, the pounding of his hooves quiets, and you're in the air, suspended in an expressive silence. This is what you've been waiting for: a single moment of pure adrenaline.
    Last edited by PrinceSheik325; Apr. 13, 2012 at 03:22 PM.

Please correct the grammar if you use the quote of the Sheik, above! ;-) If you read this to me at a meeting, I'm afraid I would tune your talk right out.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverBendPol View Post
    Please correct the grammar if you use the quote of the Sheik, above! ;-) If you read this to me at a meeting, I'm afraid I would tune your talk right out.
    Ouch! I was just trying to help. Out of curiosity, how would you correct the grammar here? Considering it's a speech, where one should speak conversationally, I see no problem with the grammar.

Thanks Prince, that would be a great way to start off the speech! And it’s along the lines of what I am looking for in a quote (although a shorter version as my speech can only be 6min total). Unfortunately I have to verbally reference 4 sources. Do you think my instructor would count PrinceSheik of the coth forums as a reliable source?

So...Denny, on the off chance you see this post please describe what it's like to ride xc in no more than three eloquent and exciting sentences that a non-horse person will get. Ok, go!

Actually, we are allowed to use interviews as references, so anyone who has ridden at the Advanced level and will supply me w/ your real name feel free to have at it!

Well after my wife got done doing her XC walk at Burghley with her coach Jimmy Wofford he made the quote "Only the paranoid survive"

A fine line between brilliance and insanity. (My dressage instructor said this to me but I have heard it from others.)

Never do anything to destroy your horse's trust in you. (Virginia Leng - it's not Leng anymore)

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Most fun you can have with your clothes on?
    I've gotta stay with this.

Denny: "Puke off the side, not on the neck." I use this in all my sport psychology workshops :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Viva View Post
    Denny: "Puke off the side, not on the neck." I use this in all my sport psychology workshops :-)
    CLASSIC.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnBrat View Post
    I'm looking for a few lines that can describe the essence of what it's like to ride XC to a non-horse person.
    Not really a quote, but this article is exactly about capturing the essence of XC & describing it to non-eventers: Cross-Country - What It's Really Like Out There. Good luck with your speech!

You might try finding a quote that is not eventing specific that gets across the feeling of riding XC but in terms other people can understand.

I like this quote from Steve Buscemi:

"When I was a fireman I was in a lot of burning buildings. It was a great job, the only job I ever had that compares with the thrill of acting. Before going into a fire, there's the same surge of adrenaline you get just before the camera rolls."

If people don't understand eventing then a quote about eventing is not going to help them.

"Put some excitement between your legs--try eventing!"

I love EN's header:
    Red on right, white on left, insanity in the middle.....
    Be a part of the solution~ Adopt a thoroughbred!
    MidAtlanticHorseRescue.org

Default I tell my students...

'Always stay in the middle of your horse, ride like a monkey on a dog's back and don't get wet!'
    " TOUGH. Sound, bull headed, strong and wild horses to ride. They have a mind of their own and you just have to learn to deal with it. " My Babu Bloodline.

Adamsmom had a t-shirt last year that described Eventing as : Adrenalin, Elegance and Agility.