The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Jingles and hugs to you and your horse.

Jingles and hugs.....

The vet said he looks good enough to go home tomorrow and re run the blood work in a week! He was way perked up today compared to yesterday. Not out of the woods yet, but looking a lot brighter.

The change in his weight is pretty astounding but he's looking better in his expression, way happier

Quote Originally Posted by AnEnglishRider View Post
    The vet said he looks good enough to go home tomorrow and re run the blood work in a week! He was way perked up today compared to yesterday. Not out of the woods yet, but looking a lot brighter.

The change in his weight is pretty astounding but he's looking better in his expression, way happier
    Continued jingles... Glad it is looking up.
    www.Somermistfarm.com
    Quality Hunter Ponies

Yay! sorry to hear about this condition but glad to see this! Glad you caught it and I hope things continue in this direction. I like the stories of horses with issues that continue on into their late 20s and 30s.

Prayers for a good strong recovery!

Good news! Continuing jingles!

Keep it up!!!!

I think they haven't been feeding him much besides a little hay, just to keep things simpler on his liver/digestive system. No grain for sure. That plus being sick for so long explains the decrease in weight. It was just a huge jump, seeing him look much brighter and more alert and at the same time being able to see all his ribs pretty easily in the sunlight. All the muscle along his topline is gone too.

Alive and a little on the skinny side though, is much better than the other news I could have gotten.

Well, he's home today. The vet said he looked good enough to send home for a week and bring him back to redo the blood work on Friday to see if the DMSO actually worked.

He's very quiet still, but more more alert - ears forward, eyes bright, munching on hay. I let him out in the arena to roll, and he did like 3 times (he loves to roll... He'd never been let loose in an arena before coming up here and he found that arena sand is the best for rolling).

Default Good Update ~~~ Jingles & AO continue ~~~

Good news update ``` thank you for posting we know you are so stressed and worried ~ hugs ~

JINGLES & AO continue ````

Well, he's home today. The vet said he looked good enough to send home for a week and bring him back to redo the blood work on Friday to see if the DMSO actually worked.

He's very quiet still, but more more alert - ears forward, eyes bright, munching on hay. I let him out in the arena to roll, and he did like 3 times (he loves to roll... He'd never been let loose in an arena before coming up here and he found that arena sand is the best for rolling).
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

I am so very happy for you. My heart broke for you in your earlier posts. We're jingling for him.
    "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

He wasn't looking so good yesterday but today he was almost his normal self... Very reassuring. Fingers crossed blood work comes back normal on Friday and I can send him home home (back to Ft worth) to recover.

His owner wanted to know what I wanted to do with him... I wish I was older, graduated, and had my own place where he could be my pet. I havent talked it over with the vet yet, since we're a little more worried about the immediate future, but I'm pretty sure putting him through the stress of hauling back and forth to college, and any hard riding, will probably be out of the question for quite awhile. I want to avoid anything that could cause this to reoccur.

Speaking of which, he's kind of offended that he's getting hay only, and not even alfalfa, but grass, and no grain. He does get a handful of grain to get him to eat the antibiotics the vet sent home with us, so at least I know he scarfs that down without even noticing the antibiotics because he misses his grain.

Seeing him looking better tonight was good but at the same time I'm really worried that the blood work will still come back bad... After all, in the two weeks between the first fever and the diagnosis, there were a lot of days he looked about normal.

But, nothing I can do now except keep loving on him, and hoping he can pull through.

I'll send this thread to my friend who can give you more details about the treatment, but 8 years ago her horse was given 1-3 months to live due to liver failure. Now he is 21 and still going strong, jumping and showing.
    The Procrastinators Anonymous meeting has been postponed again.

That would be wonderful, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Defying Logic View Post
    I'll send this thread to my friend who can give you more details about the treatment, but 8 years ago her horse was given 1-3 months to live due to liver failure. Now he is 21 and still going strong, jumping and showing.
    I have a friend who is going through the same thing with her TB ... Would you send me the details, as well, and I'll forward on to her? caballus @ charter.net Thanks.
    --Gwen <><
    "Treat others as you want to be treated and be the change you want to see in the world."
    http://www.thepenzancehorse.com

Hello, I'm the friend of Defying Logic. It sounds like your horse is feeling better! Yay! That's great news.

With my horse, it started with him acting just a little off, then he had a temp that didn't go away. Over the next few months he got really really sick and we almost had to put him down multiple times. Luckily I had a fantastic vet who called all over the country to try and find a way to save him. I don't have all his levels memorized anymore, but his blood work came back with a note that said "How is this horse still alive?" We did two liver biopsies to see what was left, and found no trace of his liver. Because his levels were SO high, some of them will never reach normal again. His GGT is still slightly elevated, and I've been told by multiple vets that it will never be normal again. But he's close! He was in really rough shape, but he is alive and well and we did a show yesterday. He had one month left to live at one point.

We had him on a heavy dose of antibiotics (Metronidazole--20 500mg tabs twice a day for about 6 years, and SMZs--15 tabs twice a day for about a year). For some reason, these keep the blood in the liver from becoming sludgy and keeps things moving.

Milk Thistle is also a huge thing. He gets 1250 mgs twice a day (even now). You can buy 1000mg capsules cheaply at WalMart and 250mg cheaply through Puritan's Pride.

He also gets 8000 IUs of Vitamin E everyday. (SU-PER E-8000 is what I buy)

I know that initially he was on steroids of some sort, but honestly it's been so long that I just can't remember exactly what it was.

Also, he was on corn oil and crimped corn. Corn is supposed to be good for livers, but I'm not sure how far into this we put him on them.

His diet is, and always will be, low protein. We try to keep the protein in his grain under 10%. The best that we've found for him is Horse Chow 100. Which isn't the highest quality, but it works for our situation. Also, no alfalfa, which he misses (which you said you're already doing).

I know that we still have all of his records from then, and if they would help you, please PM me. I hope that your horse gets better quickly and that any of this information is helpful. Good luck, and let me know if I can help! Fingers crossed that he continues to improve!
    Last edited by SlimChance; Apr. 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM.

Thanks! I had heard about the milk thistle, I just wasn't sure how much to give if I started giving it to him.

I think, if he doesn't drop weight at all eating just hay, we might try that for awhile. Could yours be turned out on grass? That's the only options his owners have once we take him home (if it wasn't for the fact that I don't have a place to live when school is out for the semester, I would just keep him up here and get a job up here, I like this barn and the vet clinic I took him to very much). At the very least I'll have to get him off the equine senior, if low protein is what he needs.

Your post made me SO glad I went with my gut and got him in just two weeks after the first fever, two days after the second. Since the first blood work we did didn't show anything abnormal like that (though we didn't do a full blood panel, just a CBC, if we had we might have caught the high GGT earlier) I'm getting more and more hopeful we caught it fast enough. Good thing he's a huge baby about any sort of pain, if he was stoic we never would have known something was wrong so fast.

Treatment for us so far has been 3 days at the vet's with IV DMSO, and then he sent me home with uniprim (he gets a handful of grain to take this with) and dexamethasone (6 cc's which I have to squirt in his mouth, once a day for 3 days, then once every 3 days until we go back to the vet... he thinks that is just lovely... actually I'm just glad he feels good enough to object).

I'm still not relaxing until we see what the new blood work says... If it didn't work... I don't even want to think about it. Neither me nor his owners are particularly wealthy (or even remotely wealthy), and he's pretty miserable when he's sick.

He cantered away when I turned him loose in the arena today made me so happy, he hasn't done that since forever.

I'm really really hoping its because his liver is really getting better and not just because these are some good drugs.

He cantered away when I turned him loose in the arena today made me so happy, he hasn't done that since forever.

I'm really really hoping its because his liver is really getting better and not just because these are some good drugs.
    Good news! Did you get my PM?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Good news! Did you get my PM?
    Definitely not on the forums. Got a PM from someone else but not you.