The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Barn Boots made in the USA

My nice reliable barn boots are wearing out, I don't know why, they are only 8 years old. Anyway - I want to buy American this time. Not just from an American company, but boots actually MADE in America. I am looking for something to wear with jeans while driving around, lunging, loading the trailer for a show, etc. Not riding boots, more like those all terrain hiking style lace ups.

Any suggestions? I could spend up to $175 - $200, I don't stint on the boots I wear every day.

You can find several Made In America boot retailers in one spot her: http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/index.html

This way you can shop by brand, style, price and know that all of companies are from right here in the USA
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Default If you are looking for paddock boots

Dehners are made in the USA. I just got a new pair of the paddock boots after my old ones wore out at about 8 years old. They come in widths, too. Not cheap but worth it IMHO.

If you are looking for "barn boots" as opposed to "riding boots", you might look into Red Wings. Extremely well made work boots:

http://www.redwingshoes.com/
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Dehner advertises a lot, but I prefer Kroop boots in Laurel MD. I have both and Kroop is a nice small shop with great personal service

I live in Canton, GA, which is north of Atlanta, and I'd like to be able to try on the boots. I am not looking for riding, i.e., paddock boots, but barn boots or hiking type boots. I've got Ariat all-terrain something or the others, and I've loved them, but they are wearing out, and they are not made in the USA. I will have to check around and see what is close enough I can go try them on. I don't like to wait until my old boots are falling apart to get new ones, as I want to be able to wear the new ones every third day or so, for a while, break them in slowly.

I have never worn Dehner boots. What do you like most about them? With Ariats, what I love is there is no break in, you can put them on at 5:00 am and take them off at midnight, and not wish for your old boots back.

I may have to get another pair of Ariats. There's a big sporting store near here with all types of stuff for people who fish, camp, hike, run, etc. I may get a pair of hiking boots and wade in manure with them at once, so they turn into barn boots! )