The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul has a voluntary recall of one production run, of Adult Light dry dog food:

http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...om/information

Quote Originally Posted by kcgold View Post
    Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul has a voluntary recall of one production run, of Adult Light dry dog food:

http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...om/information
    Well isn't that shocking...salmonella, similar 'best by date' and same plant as the Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice. What I don't get is why didn't they do the recall at the same time as the Diamond Naturals recall?
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

We just spent a weekend with our dog in the Emergency Vets for almost 3 days on IV's. Vomiting, explosive diarrhea and abdominal pain. $1100 later - no definitive diagnosis except gastroenteritis. Second dog started getting sick 24 hours ago. I started him on same meds that the first dog came home with. Both dogs now on meds, boiled chicken and rice and seem to be better although both are going to regular vet tomorrow

And then I came upon this thread.. we feed Taste of the Wild and live in NC.. coinky dink? I think not.

The real problem is not the size of the company, it is the lack of USDA oversight due to endless budget cuts that they are often in the cut portion....bad enough it happens in the production of animal food, but the inspectors at human food production plants are also stretched very thin...when the inevitable happens, it will be disasterous.

I think, but I'm not positive, that salmonella contamination isn't usually from the kibble itself but the spray on flavor they add after the fact. Makes sense to me because you almost never hear of canned food being recalled.

Perhaps if they started testing each batch of flavor enhancer before they sprayed it on thousands of pounds of kibble, this could be avoided in the future???

I feed Taste of the Wild. From what I understand the recalled food wasnt shipped to Florida, but I decided to change for a while anyway. I guess the bad news is there is a Taste of the Wild recall, and the good news is there is a Taste of the Wild recall, which indicates to me they are testing, and when they find a problem, they immediately fix it.

I decided to try Wellness for a while, even tho it is hideously expensive. I wrote them to ask about their outsourcing of products, and this is the email I got back today:

Thank you for taking the time to write about Wellness products.

Our ingredients are primarily sourced from the United States and Canada. We choose to source some ingredients internationally in order to buy the best quality available - for example, lamb from New Zealand. Our ingredient breakdown by geography is as follows:

• U.S. and Canada: 95%+
    • Australia and New Zealand: 4%
    • Asia: less than 1%
    • Europe: less than 1%

There are many high quality ingredients available in the U.S. However, sometimes ingredient quality is higher from other countries - such as Venison or Lamb from New Zealand and Australia; in other cases, sourcing from the U.S. isn't an available option for us (or even the vast majority of pet food companies) because, for example, supplies are limited. As is the case with our Vitamin C and Taurine from China.

If you have any other questions or concerns please don't hesitate to call our Consumer Affairs Department at (800) 225-0904. Our representatives are available to assist you Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Eastern Time.Thanks again for contacting us.

Tee DuBois
    Representative
    Consumer Affairs

000279510A

So, I have been feeding the Nature's Domain from Costco for 2 1/2 years and TOTW after going through tons of foods, my allergy dog has done the best on these too. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but now it appears I will have to switch as well. They have been on the same bag for 2 months and are great, but this weekend I will be heading out to shop. I need grain free, on the lower end of the protein spectrum...fish or venison. (Allergies). What does anyone think about Nutro Grain Free or Nature's Recipe? I am a little limited cost wise as well...

The specific lot numbers for the latest recall of Chicken Soup Adult LIght dry dog food (courtesy of the FDA, via Pol Veterinary Services facebook page):

RECALL: Diamond Pet Foods is recalling one production run of Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food. One bag of the product has tested positive for Salmonella, and the recall of the following four production codes is being conducted as a precautionary measure:
    35 lb - CLF0102B31XCW, Best by Date 27/JAN/2013
    35 lb - CLF0102B31XCW, Best by Date 28/JAN/2013
    35 lb - CLF0102B32XWR, Best by Date 28/JAN/2013
    6 lb - CLF0102B3XALW, Best by Date 28/JAN/2013

It just never seems to end.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

I'm confused -- is there currently a Taste of the Wild recall? I couldn't find anything after a quick Google search.

I guess maybe I should switch as well. This is frustrating since I have finally found something that my dog does well on.

Here's their official Statement:

Here's the TOTW food statement. Apparently they use the same plant for processing and they are being very cautious:

"Official statement from Taste of the Wild Manufacturer: Diamond Pet Foods has temporarily suspended delivery of all dry dog food products made at its Gaston, S.C., plant, including Taste of the Wild. The company took this step because a limited number of batches of its Diamond Natural Lamb Meal & Rice dry dog food also produced at the plant did not meet its stringent quality standards. Immediately upon discovering the potential quality issue, the company initiated a voluntary recall of these batches of Diamond Natural Lamb Meal & Rice dry dog food, as announced on April 6.

Taste of the Wild formulas are not subject to the April 6 recall and thus can be consumed as usual.

Diamond Pet Foods is working around the clock to resume product deliveries to distributors and retailers. However, the company is committed to ensuring that the Gaston plant meets the highest possible standards of quality and will only resume full production when this can be assured.

For more information, email us through our website at http://tasteofthewildpetfood.com/contact_us/. We will communicate via Facebook as updates are available."
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Quote Originally Posted by Beckham03 View Post
    So, I have been feeding the Nature's Domain from Costco for 2 1/2 years and TOTW after going through tons of foods, my allergy dog has done the best on these too. I was hoping it wouldn't come to this, but now it appears I will have to switch as well. They have been on the same bag for 2 months and are great, but this weekend I will be heading out to shop. I need grain free, on the lower end of the protein spectrum...fish or venison. (Allergies). What does anyone think about Nutro Grain Free or Nature's Recipe? I am a little limited cost wise as well...
    I am going to the shops to check out Earthborn Holistics. I have heard that their formula is similar to ToTW and the price point is not too much higher and from what I understand if you buy 5 bags the 6th is free.

Wow, glad I read this post! I JUST bought Earthborn (chicken catciattori) and my cats think its TERRIFIC!! Definitely a paws up vote on this! Hadn't heard of it before so thanks!

Nature's Variety and Nature's Logic are the only two kibbles I'll buy. The manager at Unleashed (who feeds raw) told me that Nature's Logic is the only kibble on the market that he would actually consider feeding to his dogs because it is the only one on the market without a synthetic vitamin pack..which causes digestive upset in some animal (aka my cat was puking everything up until I switched to Nature's Logic)

Never been impressed with any of Diamonds products.

And by the way, if you need an online source for food..try Wag.com 49.00=free shipping (2 day) and 15 percent off your first order.

Wow... so also add Artemis to the list of Diamond foods?? Seriously, how many foods do they REALLY produce? I had no idea they were so far reaching....

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...d-updates.html
    Diamond Pet Food Updates
    Written By: Susan Thixton 4-30-2012 Categorized in: Pet Food News
    Here are some updates and follow up information provided by Diamond Pet Food.

#1 The letter from Diamond Pet Food to retailers dated February 2012 regarding production delays (to read full article Click Here), Diamond Pet Food Media Rep Janine Smiley assured me there is no connection of this production delay to the recent Diamond recalls. She assured me the reason for the production delay cited in the February letter was as stated Diamond had "exceed our production capabilities causing product shortages".

#2 Diamond Pet Food has confirmed that production at the South Carolina plant has been stopped. Information provided to me from Diamond originally stated they were suspending delivery - not suspending production. It is now confirmed that production was suspended on April 8, 2012.

#3 Janine Smiley was unable to provide additional information as when the plant will be back in production. "We do not know when the Gaston plant will resume production and delivery, but it will not do so until all quality issues are resolved. An internal investigation continues at the plant to determine the cause of the salmonella contamination."

#4 Natural Balance - a pet food made at the South Carolina plant has laid-off in store representatives (part time employees that provide sales information to customers in national retail pet stores) until further notice.

#5 Artemis Pet Food, another brand manufactured by Diamond (though at their CA plant) sent a letter to retailers in March stating "Artemis Pet Food has been experiencing production delays for the last couple of months due to machinery maintenance and upgrades at our manufacturing facility. Due to those delays, this has caused a major back up in production scheduling." Janine Smiley (Diamond Media Rep) shared "to my knowledge there is no linkage with this Artemis production delay letter and the recent recalls."

#6 An independent pet food store owner shared with me late Monday (after my discussion with Diamond and after the latest recall update) that Diamond is picking up (removing) all product (all products they manufacture, not just Diamond brand) from distribution centers (not retail outlets...distribution centers).

Diamond Pet Food - specifically their media reps - have been very helpful and have tried to answer all of my questions. However, I am disappointed that within a few hours of speaking to Diamond they announced another recall; I cannot understand why they wouldn't have shared this with me during our conversation. As well, the Diamond media rep mentioned nothing about Diamond picking up all product from distribution centers.

It is almost as if they (most pet food manufacturers) don't believe we can handle the truth. To all pet food manufacturers including (but not limited to) Diamond, we can handle the truth. Just tell us, everything - don't leave any detail out. Trust can begin with honesty and transparency.

Wishing you and your pet(s) the best,

Susan Thixton
    Pet Food Safety Advocate
    Author, Buyer Beware
    Co-Author Dinner PAWsible
    TruthaboutPetFood.com
    PetsumerReport.com
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

And now we can add Diamond Puppy Formula dry dog food to the recall list...read that this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    Nature's Variety and Nature's Logic are the only two kibbles I'll buy. The manager at Unleashed (who feeds raw) told me that Nature's Logic is the only kibble on the market that he would actually consider feeding to his dogs because it is the only one on the market without a synthetic vitamin pack..which causes digestive upset in some animal (aka my cat was puking everything up until I switched to Nature's Logic)

Never been impressed with any of Diamonds products.
    I've been trying to find out where Champion (Orijen and Acana) get their vitamin mix. It seems like almost every company gets its vitamin mix from China. I recently found out that Stella and Chewy's does as well, and I'm not happy about it since its the only food my dog really likes.

Quote Originally Posted by GotGait View Post
    I've been trying to find out where Champion (Orijen and Acana) get their vitamin mix.
    I'd be interested to know as well as those are the foods I feed.

Quote Originally Posted by Beckham03 View Post

What does anyone think about Nutro Grain Free ...

Nutro is PURE GARBAGE!!! (and potentially lethal). A few years ago Nutro caused severe liver damage in three of our dogs. Two ended up dying despite everything the vets did to try to save them. The youngest of the three survived. At the time there were hundreds (and probably thousands) of pets (cats and dogs), suffering the same symptoms with many dying - all ate Nutro. That time it was Aflotoxin in the food. Other times it's melamine or as now with Diamond, salmonella.