The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

I switched to Fromm last month and am very happy with it.

I free feed my dogs and, given how much less they eat of the Fromm's, it costs about the same per month as the Diamond Naturals--maybe less--, and much less than TOTW or some of the other "higher" end and pricey foods.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Finally got a response from Diamond, though they didn't really answer my questions.

I submitted the following:

Could you confirm whether manufacturing at the Diamond South Carolina facility involved in the recent recall has ceased? If so, does this facility manufacture Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream canine formula and/or Natural Balance LID Green Pea and Salmon formula?

And got this response:

Good afternoon,

The only products affected by the voluntary recall are the following:

Product Name Bag Size Production Code & “Best
    Before” Code
    Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 6lb DLR0101D3XALW
    Best Before 04 Jan 2013
    Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 20lb DLR0101C31XAG
    Best Before 03 Jan 2013
    Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40lb DLR0101C31XMF
    Best Before 03 Jan 2013
    Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40lb DLR0101C31XAG
    Best Before 03 Jan 2013
    Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice 40lb DLR0101D32XMS
    Best Before 04 Jan 2013

The "X" in the product code inicates that is was manufactured in the South Carolina plant. An "M" indicates the Missouri plant while a "C" indicates the plant in California.

Diamond manufactures the following brands at the Gaston, South Carolina plant.
    4health, Apex, Artemis, Canidae, Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul, Country Value, Diamond, Diamond Naturals, Felidae, Kirkland Signature, Natural Balance, Nature’s Domain, Nutra Gold Holistic, Nutra Nuggets, Premium Edge, Professional, Solid Gold, Solid Gold Canada, Taste of the Wild

Thank you,

Customer Service
    Full-time bargain hunter.

Wow that's quite the list... I surprised that they would manufacture so many different brands of dog food at one plant. Thanks for the info though. After finding out that all 4 foods that I've routinely fed are produced by Diamond AND apparently most likely produced at that plant, I'm going a different route
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

Does anyone know if they make cat food there too, or just dog food? My cats eat Kirkland signature food, and we just bought a bag a week ago...

Interesting that I find this now. I feed TotW, current stuff is the Bison variety. I live in SC so can only assume ours comes from that plant. Our lab was off to training for 5 weeks.. we sent along 45lbs of the Bison TotW that we bought mid/end march before he left. He recently came home after only being away about two weeks due to having a massive abscess on his rear (which I posted about). He came home, was eating well and seemed to be on the mend. We'd been feeding out of the small container that we'd kept for our other dog (a corgi) which I believe was the lamb variety. Well we ran out of that so went to the big container that we brought home with the lab. Around the same time the lab decided he didn't want to eat... thought it was due to the antibiotics he's on so got sucralfate at work in hopes that it would help his stomach. Still was not interested in the food... so finally decided maybe he didn't like that flavor or we thought maybe he associated it with being so sick. Went out and got a sample size of the Acana yesterday just to test. Mixed it half and half with the TotW and he gobbled down his dinner last night and breakfast this morning.

After reading this I'm wondering if I should go to something else completely.... the corgi doesn't seem to be having any issues and is still eating regularly. Of course the Acana is like $60-70 something for 30lbs which the lab eats in a month... lol.

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaGirl View Post
    Of course the Acana is like $60-70 something for 30lbs which the lab eats in a month... lol.
    Shop around as I only pay $51 for a 30lb bag of the Acana Wild Prairie.

Although I choke having to pay $52 for TOTW Prairie (Bison & Venison), I have found one significant cost savings (no, not having to feed less, they still get about 1 cup each a day) but TOTW is so sniffy that I no longer have to add a little wet food to interest the kids into cleaning their bowls. So I'm saving AT LEAST $16.80 a month, probably more, on quality canned food.

Not having to add wet food and mix it saves time too and the furkids really appreciate getting their food a couple minutes earlier
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kryswyn View Post
    Although I choke having to pay $52 for TOTW Prairie (Bison & Venison), I have found one significant cost savings (no, not having to feed less, they still get about 1 cup each a day) but TOTW is so sniffy that I no longer have to add a little wet food to interest the kids into cleaning their bowls. So I'm saving AT LEAST $16.80 a month, probably more, on quality canned food.

Not having to add wet food and mix it saves time too and the furkids really appreciate getting their food a couple minutes earlier
    $52.00 ???!! I've never seen it over $46. and some change. Because of this thread and finding out that TOTW is manufactured by Diamond (a brand I have avoided on purpose) I have switched from TOTW to BB Wilderness which costs $49.00 a bag so not a significant increase for me. I have also been buying the 4 health canned food to mix with the kibble as special treats....guess I have to find a different brand of canned food now
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Mr. Chewy has Acana and the price is twice what I pay for ToTW for the same size bag (15lbs) That is a huge difference.

Riley cannot do chicken, I do not want to do a Merrick or P&G foods. Its so freaking confusing. I am neck deep in research for school and for some reason cannot for the life of me or my dog's life, pick out a suitable grain free food!

He needs to have at least 375 calories per cup, without chicken, turkey, duck, fish (cause he hates it) or grain AGH!!

Quote Originally Posted by vtdobes View Post
    Shop around as I only pay $51 for a 30lb bag of the Acana Wild Prairie.
    If I could find it for that I would definitely switch as it's only a $5-7 more than I pay for the TotW!! The local store that I stopped at today was $75 for the 30lbs!! Do you get it online or locally? The Prairie seems to be the lowest priced of that line.

Munching, I thought you were going to go with the Orijen? It's damned expensive, but it does work well for us.

Over 375 kcal/cup is not a terribly hard target to hit...500 or more is tougher Can your pooch do turkey, or is that too close to chicken?

How about any of these?

Earthborn Holistics

Fromm Beef Frittata Veg

Pure Vita Grain Free Bison

Ziwi Peak Venison

Back to Basics Pork

Nature's Logic Venison

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Munching, I thought you were going to go with the Orijen? It's damned expensive, but it does work well for us.

Over 375 kcal/cup is not a terribly hard target to hit...500 or more is tougher Can your pooch do turkey, or is that too close to chicken?

How about any of these?

Earthborn Holistics

Fromm Beef Frittata Veg

Pure Vita Grain Free Bison

Ziwi Peak Venison

Back to Basics Pork

Nature's Logic Venison
    I love you!

i know that Solid Gold was using the melamine product from China that they were using to up protein - and feeding to babies, some of whom died.
    Goes to show that price does not denote quality.

I know a lot of you have large dogs, so this may not be economical, but The Honest Kitchen is a great food for any of you with smaller dogs. It last quite a long time and is financially doable for me to feed two small dogs....and I'm not a wealthy person. The food is actually taste tested by humans and some varieties smell great - like stew!

I've been feeding Diamond Naturals Lamb & Rice for 2 years and really liked it. It was a higher quality food and the cost was perfect for 3 boys who are 50+ pounds each.

Alas, this week I went on the search for a new dog food...still wanted higher quality (4 or more stars on the dog food advisor site) and something that wouldn't break the bank. I stumbled across a place just down the street from me that I didn't even knew existed...Bark Mart (in Graniteville, SC--between Augusta, GA and Aiken, SC). They had EVERY kind of dog food imagineable there.

So, I took my phone with the dog food advisor list pulled up, and started looking at ingredient lists and price tags.

I settled on Hi-Tek Naturals grain free lamb & sweet potato (which was given 4.5 stars on the dog food advisor site). At $39 for a 30/pound bag, it's still much higher than Diamond Natural's $26 for a 40 pound bag, but I've really wanted to go grain free, but the cost has been overwhelming when I've looked. My only worry is that it's not a very 'popular' dog food, but as long as Bark Mart stays in business, I should be okay.
    Random horse pics http://www.flickr.com/photos/glfprncs/
    Talk to me about fitness or nutrition (I'm an A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer)!
    My blog! http://personalsweatequity.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by kasjordan View Post
    I feed Blue Buffalo and have never had one single issue. Matter of fact, my Shepherd has a super sensitive belly. I had him on 4Health, we tried Orijen- he had bad,bad bouts of the runs...for months on and off....Since the BB he hasn't ONE time and he's been on it for a good 6 months now. My JRT is a fussy eater- and he loves the BB too. I feed the fish and sweet potato. Can be found at both TSC and pet food stores, so it's easy to find. The pet store I buy it from offers their own, buy $200 worth of product, get $10 off coupon and BB itself has a loyalty card- buy 10 bags get one free....I've got my free bag sitting behind the dog food container right now :-) The Shepherd is mostly black and he's longer haired, his coat is amazing, soft and shiny- he gleams!
    My experience as well with my picky lab/sheltie/jack/who knows what else mutt. Super sensitive stomach, had issues until I switched to the bb. She started on the chicken and rice and did OK, but inhales the wilderness chicken (she likes chicken and I'm just not fighting it with my picky eater). She does get a couple tablespoons/day of Wellness canned (she'll only eat 2 flavors: turkey and sweet potato and venison and sweet potato--actually, she'll eat the chicken and sweet potato, but doesn't love it), but this is the only food she's consistently eaten and doesn't upset her stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by RedMare01 View Post
    Look into Earthborn Holistics. It's made pretty locally to me (Evansville, IN) and I do not believe is owned by any of the big corporations. They have very high quality, consistent foods, including grain free.

I've been feeding their grain free dry to my kitties for over a year now, and have no complaints. Kitties look fabulous and haven't gone on strike against the food, which was one of the big issues I was having previously.

I've used their wet as well, but one out of my three is very picky about his wet food and prefers Wellness to Earthborn, so for simplicity I still use Wellness for my wet food.
    Earthborn is owned by ProPac, ProPac is a Midwest Labratories company located in Omaha. American company but "small".

I was talking with a sales girl at a pet food store, one that I have not ever gone into and I told her that I am feeding ToTW and after the recent debacle at the Diamond plant, I told her I was interested in switching foods. She said that Earthborn Holistic is VERY similar to ToTW in their proteins and formulas. I am going to the store at the end of the week to check on prices and see what I can afford. (starving student here)

I too will have Dog Food Analysis web site up on my phone when I shop, as well as Simkie's suggestions and spread sheet. I know what I want, its just a matter of price now.

Default news to me (though I don't use any of these)

United Pet Foods

30801 Corwin Road
    Elkhart, IN 46514-9394

About United Pet Foods

Phone574) 674-5981 |
    United Pet Foods in Elkhart, IN is a private company categorized under Dog Food. Our records show it was established in 1976 and incorporated in Indiana. Register for free to see additional information such as annual revenue and employment figures.
    Products or Services: Chiwawa Food, Ol Roy Dog Food, Homemade Dog Food Recipes, Purina Dog Food and Pinnacle Dog Food.
    Last edited by SGray; Apr. 25, 2012 at 01:31 PM. Reason: format
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Just FYI..the plant that manufactures TOTW for some areas is part of the voluntary shut down, so you folks who feed it may experience difficulty with the supply.