The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Default More about Diamond

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/art...ade-in-sc.html

I am SO peeved to find out that Felidae/Canidae AND 4Health AND Chicken Soup are ALSO made by Diamond

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

CRAP. They manufacture Natural Balance too?!

This is really making me want to go raw/homemade.

I've got an email in to Diamond requesting confirmation of the truthaboutpetfood.com post as well as a list of foods manufactured at that facility.

If I get a response, I'll share it here.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

And Solid Gold !!

Thanks OneO.

I look forward to hearing what the email says.

I have been feeding ToTW to the cat and dog for 1.5 years, started the pup on Chicken Soup.

I am going to switch him to either; Orjens, innova or natures variety.

Has anyone used Timberwolf?

I thought about switching to EVO but its made by P&G.

Innova is also P&G, Munching.

I fed Timberwolf Wild & Natural for one big bag and liked it well enough. It smelled a little weird--salty?--but the dogs liked it. I only switched to something else because it was a special order for me here. I loved the calorie count on it.

Nature's Variety Instinct is my go-to "CRAP we've forgotten to hit the feed store and the dog is out of food!" food, since PetSmart carries it. It works out fine, but I prefer to not feed all that tapioca. Just my personal preference.

Koa's still on Orijen 6 Fish, and we'll probably keep her and the puppy (still waiting!) on that for the first year.

Ugh! They've got their awful mitts into everything don't they!!!

I'll be sticking with Orijen & Acana!!

I'm surprised to see Solid Gold on that list. Always thought of them as real premium food.

Makes me very glad I feed Orijen/Wellness
    ~Katelyn~

Makes me glad Nutrisca isn't in their clutches either.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Crap, I just started feeding Chicken Soup in the cans to my cats for one of their meals a day. I had heard it was a very good food for the price. Now, I'll have to find another brand.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

So I was going to switch back to Canidae or Chicken Soup after my last TOTW bag to get away from Diamond - well that's obviously not going to work now

So what reputable foods are left that aren't made by Diamond or P&G and hopefully aren't outrageously expensive (I've got two big Labs!).

Looks like so far:

Wellness
    Orijen
    Acana
    Nature's Variety
    ?
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

OK, I don't have dogs, only cats - but what about Blue Buffalo?
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Maybe among all of us, we can find out where the ingredients are sourced for these foods.

I know the Diamond brand has some source from China, and that's the big issue most of the time.

How can we found out where ingredients for the other brands are sourced?

I've never heard of a CS recall. I think 4Health is still too new. Can't say I've heard of a Solid Gold recall, but I've never fed it so probably didn't catch on to one if there was.

I have cats. Orijen seems to make only dry food, at least for cats. Blue Spa Select uses plant sources for it's Omega 3, so I don't know how useful it would be for obligate carnivores.

Then, I have to make sure I only get pate, because the old princess will not eat anything else.

Is everybody down on Evo and PG because they are so big, or is there definite knowledge that they source from China?

Louise, I'm down on EVO and the rest of the (former) Natura Pet products because I saw a change in the food. The cats stopped eating the canned, and it looked and smelled different for several cases in a row. I understand that every now and then a case might look a little off, or the cats might get a little bored, so I tried to wait it out...and finally had to give up and switch to something different.

Right around that same time, my older Ridgeback was diagnosed with lymphoma and declined so rapidly that there was absolutely nothing we could do. The timing was probably just a coincidence, but it did spook me a little bit.

According to P&G, nothing has changed with the Natura Pet products, but I simply can't believe that, based on what I saw with the cat food. I think they're sourcing from somewhere new or have changed the formula somehow. I was terribly loyal to EVO and the rest for a very long time, and it was hard for me to move on and find something new.

Now, my kitties are now on Before Grain canned, and the remaining dog is now on Orijen 6 Fish. She had been on Pinnacle Peak, which seemed to be a fine food, but we needed a trial of a novel protein source.

i have been using Verus dry dog food ever since my fussy collie arrived.....local dog eatery highly recommended it....works out to just a tad over $1/ lb......

USA raised chicken, no antibiotics....

www.veruspetfoods.com

Our local feed store has decided to quit carrying EVO and the rest of the Natura products. They are no longer comfortable with the quality of the food. It is a shame, too. They have switched to Annamaet food, and my dogs liked it when I tried a bag of it, and it gets good reviews in the dog food review site. It is very pricey though. I feed my cats Blue Buffalo Wilderness, and they really like that.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    I have cats. Orijen seems to make only dry food, at least for cats. Blue Spa Select uses plant sources for it's Omega 3, so I don't know how useful it would be for obligate carnivores.

Then, I have to make sure I only get pate, because the old princess will not eat anything else.

Is everybody down on Evo and PG because they are so big, or is there definite knowledge that they source from China?
    I feed BG (Before Grain) canned food to my cat. He is the pickiest eater ever, but loves it (plus, they have some novel protein sources like Quail, salmon, etc). I like that it is 95% meat with no grains or fillers and about the same price as Chicken Soup canned.
    ~Katelyn~

Quote Originally Posted by KateandKc View Post
    I feed BG (Before Grain) canned food to my cat. He is the pickiest eater ever, but loves it (plus, they have some novel protein sources like Quail, salmon, etc). I like that it is 95% meat with no grains or fillers and about the same price as Chicken Soup canned.
    The Before Grain is excellent. My cats all think it's delish, too! The Quail flavor is sky high in phosphorus, and fish flavors should lnoy be fed occasionally, but the chicken and turkey ones are great cat foods! I can't afford to feed it daily, but try to give them a few cans a months as they lurve it so!

I feed the BB Wilderness also, and just ordered the new senior version for my old girl and hopefully-soon-to-be new old lady. Started with it before seeing the TV commercials for it. I wonder if it was bought out by a big corp?
    When someone shows you who they are, BELIEVE THEM.

I called Taste of the Wild a few minutes ago, and they confirmed that their product is produced at Diamond's SC plant (at least the product in my area (KY)...she asked specifically where I lived, so perhaps TOTW in other areas may come from a different manufacturing plant). However, she reiterated that there is no recall on any products except the Diamond Naturals, and said at this time they were not aware of any halt in production of other brands at the South Carolina plant.

Thanks everyone. I tried the Before Grain, and may use it again. Three of my four cats ate it with no problem. The old princess (Gina) turned up her nose at it. She's not fond of wet food in general, so finding a brand that will suit her is hard.

When she refused the Before Grain is when I went to the Kitchen Soup brand, which she will eat. But, she will clean her plate when I give her Evo, so I'm kind of at a loss and looking for other brands.

I've tried:

Wellness, regular and Core
    Before Grain
    Chicken Soup
    Blue Buffalo
    Pro Plan - the grain free varieties

And a couple of others that I can't remember.

She's 15 and I'm at my wit's end. I'm just about ready to give her Evo dry (because she won't eat anything that has been refrigerated, even if I warm it to room temperature) and give the others Before Grain.