The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for ideas on how to move a 8x8 shed/playhouse

Thanks to Craigslist, I can get a free 8x8 shed/playhouse. That is, if I can move it. It is really nice with vinyl siding, shingles, etc. and it is currently on stilts 70" off the ground.

I have the carpentry skills to partially disassemble and reassemble it but I'd really like to move it mostly intact because it is very tightly built.

What kind of equipment would I need? Would a skid steer and trailer do the trick or do I really need a forklift and flatbed if I want to keep it mostly in one piece?

thoughts/ideas much appreciated?

A tractor with forks would prob do better with the unit, since its 6 feet off the ground. This unit should be okay in a trailer, unless you're going a long distance on a highway, etc. Bring cribbing and some heavy duty fabric strapping and rachettes. Use the strapping to tie the shed to your forklift frame. I am assuming the shed weighs less than a 1000 lbs.
    Good luck!

We had a garden shed at our old property moved to the new one on a flatbed trailer. I'm not sure of the dimensions, but I'd guess it is about 8' x 12'. My SO hired a tow truck driver to do it and they used a winch to pull it onto the trailer...IIRC. Worked out much better than my SO's original plan to take it apart piece by piece and put back together. Had we done that, it would still be in pieces, and we've been here over ten years!

Ours was not on stilts, however!

Roll-back type tow truck is what I always see that type of thing being moved on.

i called a tow truck with a flat bed one time to move an 8 x 12' shed. It was well-constructed and sturdy, built on two 4 x 4' skids. Just drilled a hole in the end of each skid, put in an eye-bolt, hooked a chain from eye to eye and the truck winched up up on the flat bed and strapped 'er down.

Moved the shed about ten miles for $60 and a sixer.

Worked perfectly!

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Motivation View Post
    i called a tow truck with a flat bed one time to move an 8 x 12' shed. It was well-constructed and sturdy, built on two 4 x 4' skids. Just drilled a hole in the end of each skid, put in an eye-bolt, hooked a chain from eye to eye and the truck winched up up on the flat bed and strapped 'er down.

Moved the shed about ten miles for $60 and a sixer.

Worked perfectly!
    tow truck! that sounds like a great idea. thanks, everyone!

We just moved our 16X8 shed. Used the rollback truck. When we started pulling the shed onto the truck, the front tires were about 2 feet off the ground. But it worked!!
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

If you don't have a loader or forklift big enough to pick it up:

Screw big strap hinges to the legs. Cut one pair all the way through before mounting the hinges. Cut the other pair partially through on the side that the hinges will mount to. Tie a truck or some other vehicle to the side you will lower it away from. Mount hinges down low the with same method. Put wedges in behind the saw so you can get it out.

Hire a rollback truck, and lower it on the parallelogram letting the operator use his winch to break the bottom cuts so it can hinge down onto the bed without damaging anything.