The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blue Pop Rocks- my horse won't eat them

Any tips? Horse does NOT like the taste. Have tried over sweet feed, have tried with molasses, have tried syringing them into her mouth (with oil- they just got stuck in the tip with the extra oil). I usually wet food and mix everything up when trying to get her to eat something she deems yucky. Obviously, that's not an option with this stuff. I'd really like to find a way to make this work so I can stop spending $$$$$$ on ulcergard.

They are coated with cellulose and even accounting for the differences between horse and human taste buds should be virtually tasteless as such. What happens if you just leave them mixed with a little feed in her tub? Mine sometimes leave a scattering of pellets on the bottom of the tub when I'm done feeding, but it's always gone by morning.

You could try syringing with applesauce--if they're swallowed promptly they will survive. You can use an old paste dewormer tube where there is no "tip" for stuff to get stuck.
    Click here before you buy.

You can wet the food and mix the granules in. That's what I do, and it works fine. Just feed it right away -- don't let it sit around for an hour.

Cut the tip of the syringe and carefully widen the hole with a knife a little. Try using yogurt and some flavouring (my horse seems to like Banana flavouring and peppermint I use ones that are not alcohol based). I find the yogurt consistency does well for suspending stuff and things don't tend to settle at the bottom on the syringe.

Yes, use a dewormer tube that doesn't have a tip on it. THe granules will have nothing to stick to...down the hatch they go!
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Maybe try introducing them very gradually, like a pinch at a time? won't help treat the ulcers at first but will trick pony into accepting them?
    for more Joy then you can handle
    http://dangerbunny.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    They are coated with cellulose and even accounting for the differences between horse and human taste buds should be virtually tasteless as such.
    Interesting- mine very clearly dislikes them (makes a face and tries to spit them out), maybe its the texture?

I'm going to try the dewormer tube and see if that works. Actually I may use an old ulcergard tube, how ironic If that doesn't work, I'll add it on wet feed and hopefully she'll eat it fast.

For whatever its worth regarding adding it to feed...

When my mare started to go off feed following her full treatment with ulcergard, I tossed 1 packet on the very top of her mash (soaked alfalfa cubes, TC Senior) and fed immediately. Within 2 days of getting 1 packet each day, she was back eating all feed. Its possible the water in the feed mash started to break down the granules, but not enough to prevent them from working as intended. They were not soaked in water either, her mash is not a soupy mash, just enough to break up all the cubes. I sprinkled them on top and did NOT stir them in.

The insert with the pop rocks I got said they can be topdressed on a mash as long as the horse will consume them within 15 minutes. My mare took at least that to eat her feed.

I think if your horse's feed isn't too wet, and you feed immedately after adding them to the feed, you should be fine.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

My mare wouldn't eat them and I posted the same question. tried the different ideas and what I found worked was soaked alfalfa cubes
    Epona Farm
    Irish Draughts and Irish Sport horses

Join us on Facebook

Phew. Found the answer re: sprinkling pop rocks on top of soaked alfalfa cubes. Sooooooo glad i didnt have to start a new thread to find out if this was okay to do. lol