The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Correct placement and installation of nameplates

I ordered a girth, martingale, and saddle plate for my gear. How do I install them and where is the correct place (or side) to put the girth plate and martingale plate?

thank you!

Martingale goes UNDER the loose flap of the part that goes around the neck, so that when you put the neck piece in its keepers you can't see the nameplate.

I've never had a girth plate. I've seen in through the center top, along the long axis of the girth, but frankly I can't imagine putting one there since it's so thick...

I don't know if there is a correct placement of name plates but I put mine where they will not be seen once the horse is tacked up. I have the martingale plate on the loop that the girth goes through, the bridle plate is on the top of the crown piece and the girth plate is towards the elastic end (left side) which is hidden by the saddle flap.

I have also had a plate on the yoke of my martingale that is covered by the excess piece of strap that goes through the buckle. (on the left side)
    friend of bar*ka

Quote Originally Posted by Addison View Post
    I don't know if there is a correct placement of name plates but I put mine where they will not be seen once the horse is tacked up. I have the martingale plate on the loop that the girth goes through, the bridle plate is on the top of the crown piece and the girth plate is towards the elastic end (left side) which is hidden by the saddle flap.

I have also had a plate on the yoke of my martingale that is covered by the excess piece of strap that goes through the buckle. (on the left side)
    my martingale namplate is on the piece that goes around neck but is covered by flap when buckled - if that makes sense, so it's not seen when he's tacked up; nothing on my girth; bridle plate is as above. Mine are also silver finish, not brass as that matches the buckles .

Maybe it's just me but I just put em wherever I can get them on... :P but I make sure they are centered and even!
    Clancy 17hh chestnut Dutch WB, '99. Owned and loved since '04 and still goin'!

Not to hijack, but I've recently seen a few halter nameplates put on upside down. Is this normal?? Previously, I'd only ever seen them rightside-up. Is that old-school now?

One of my friends had a halter nameplate put on last year at one of the little tack shops @ WEF and, yep, they put it on upside down. We were both perplexed, especially since any shop @ WEF is going to be "in the know." Guess maybe we're just out of the loop?

Quote Originally Posted by Frizzle View Post
    Not to hijack, but I've recently seen a few halter nameplates put on upside down. Is this normal?? Previously, I'd only ever seen them rightside-up. Is that old-school now?

One of my friends had a halter nameplate put on last year at one of the little tack shops @ WEF and, yep, they put it on upside down. We were both perplexed, especially since any shop @ WEF is going to be "in the know." Guess maybe we're just out of the loop?
    If a tack shop (especially at WEF) put my nameplate on upside-down I'd be pissed. That just doesn't make sense.