The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default If your dogs bark....

Probably not an "around the farm" thing because well, we don't live on a farm YET, but good gravy.

Our next door neighbors and us have two dogs apices. All four bark when people walk by, dogs go by, etc. It's annoying, not gonna lie.

I've got it under control for the most part with our dogs. But just now, (working from home) some kids walking home from the bus stop started taunting both the neighbor's dogs and mine. WTH?

My neighbor dude is an undercover narcotics guy with a canine. I'd like to unleash that whole deal but he's at work.

So his wife and I are on the phone kvetching about these kids who are seriously taunting the dogs. Not just walking. Barking at the dogs, hollering at them. I just went out front and told them to knock it off.

But what is the best thing? I'm not usually home at this time of day. If this is what happens every day after school, I'm concerned!
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

If there is an actuual police dog being harassed, surely there is some State Statute that covers that? Kids/parents could good a good arse talking to by the authorites or worse?
    "Police officers are public servants. Not James Bond with a license to kill."

You can bet your ass it happens every day; and I'd even bet that's why the barking started. In VA we lived in a townhome community...oiy. On one side the neighbor completely ignored their gorgeous pitbull, who would wine All. Day. AND. All. Night. in the basement. Our bedroom was in the basement, and DH had to be up at 5am or earlier. Awesome. OTHER neighbor had a dog who would bark and howl every time she was outside, so all day. They also had a bunch of Demon Spawn, aka children, and the rest of the neighborhood Demon Spawn would hang out there. One afternoon I was home (no vehicle, so they didn't know it) I hear my dogs barking while they were on our patio, something they did NOT do. I look out the window, and two girls are leaning across their patio (the two didn't touch, TG) teasing our dogs. They disappeared as soon as I slid open the door.

Few weeks later we found pieces of charcoal on our patio. Not odd when you have a grill. Except ours is gas; neighbor with Demon Spawn had charcoal. Hmmmm....

Right now we have a HUGE backyard, but it backs up to an easement that has a lot of walkers, joggers, riders, etc. Our neighbors' dogs bark constantly and drives us insane. Ours grew up in an apartment, so they learned early on not to bark needlessly. I caught our Shepherd charging towards the back fence as people walked by the other day, and I rushed out to yell at her. She knew she was in trouble and slinked back. Constant barking is one of my pet peeves, literally.

Personally, I think the officer should sit there on a random day off and wait for the kids, and arrest them. Or at least pretend to. THAT would fix them!
    #Iaintafraidofnogoat

We used to have a shepperd/husky mix that we had in tied in our back yard when I was home. One day I see demon seed boys from a few doors down, walking through our yard. As they do, they stay just far enough out of reach of Zeke all the while taunting him, throwing things etc. I scream out the window - get the finger in return and retreat fuming...

Well, times goes by and one day Zeke is out with us when the demon seed boys are across the way.....Zeke takes off after them & corners them. Guess who's screaming now?

Never had a problem with them walking through the yard after that...
    "A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good, just because it's accepted by a majority." Rick Warren

To bad you can't just spank em, send em home, and know their dad will second it when they get there, and call you to thank you for doing so....
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

I had a little monster who taunted my dogs for YEARS! He like to get right outside the fence and just tease the crap out of them. They barked themselves hoarse. Then the other day, it was finished. The offender was dead. He was a pretty big squirrel, too!

Quote Originally Posted by downen View Post
    I had a little monster who taunted my dogs for YEARS! He like to get right outside the fence and just tease the crap out of them. They barked themselves hoarse. Then the other day, it was finished. The offender was dead. He was a pretty big squirrel, too!

Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

Well, not one but two sets of kids did it over the course of the afternoon/evening last night but they sure moved quickly when I appeared and hollered, "That's enough, move on."

The weird thing was that the second set of kids went by and the dogs were all out but not even barking. The kids were just barking at them. WTH?

I can't wait to move far far out into the country.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

But what is the best thing? I'm not usually home at this time of day. If this is what happens every day after school, I'm concerned!
    it probably does. I've watched our local kids doing much the same.

Can you rig up some sprinklers out front that oddly enough are timed to go off during this time of day, so they'll have to walk on the other side of the road?

If one's a police dog, or you have any "ins" with the police, I'd have one in slight hiding next time the kids come by, then have him come out and scare the heck out of the kids. Tell them that it's illegal or wrong or whatever, but scare them
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

You cannot control the environment, but you can find out who the kids are and either 1)talk to their parents .... don't hold your breath that they will be pro-active or empathetic to your situation or 2) find out who they are, march them home, speak to their parents and inform the parents that the next time, you won't speak to them, you'll speak to the local LEA and file on them. If the kids are minors, their parents will be responsible for any fines and that might motivate them to do something.

Other than that, I believe you are conditioning your dogs to run to you and away from a door or window to get them to quit barking? If so, you can also be proactive and do a Look At That type training (ala Leslie McDivett) that would also help to preempt the barking.

and on top of that...I'm sorry for everyone going through this.

Well, I don't have any ideas for you other than to keep watch and make sure it doesn't escalate into something more . My dh and I have friends who had a chocolate lab that was being taunted and teased ( unbeknownst to them) until the dog chased the taunting kid and bit him. Our friends didn't have the dog on their homeowners insurance and unfortunately the dog was deemed 'vicious' because he was unpredictable towards any kid on a bicycle, so he was euthanized. This was years ago and our friends still talk about Buddha and what they should have done better.
    R.I.P. my sweet boy Tristan
    36 years old, but I was hoping you'd live forever
    5/5/75-7/5/11

Hide behind the bushes with a super soaker!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigMama1 View Post
    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
    GNU Terry Prachett

You get home when the kids are walking by? Sounds easy to me then, bring your dogs inside!

Or do the timed sprinklers.

Or stand by the door and wait for the offenders to start up, then jump out screaming bloody murder. Wave a Swiffer or something. Stay on your door step. Be ridiculous, "I curse you, I curse you to have all your children born naked!!!"
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

A child who was visiting at our farm was throwing small rocks at one of our barn cats. DS, who carries a badge and a gun said,"I'll put a stop to this". He walked over to the kid, flashed his badge and said,"I'm from the Animal Police and if you toss one more rock at any animal, anytime I will have you arrested".

The kid has been a perfect visitor since

borrow this dog for a day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vA4sGrQku0

Quote Originally Posted by karlymacrae View Post
    *blink* oh.my.

Ya know, I may sound like a Pollyanna, but any time I've had problems with neighborhood kids, I went out and talked to them one on one, like they were adults. I would explain how teasing the animals or breaking glass bottles on the playground, or whatever is wrong and pretty dumb, and why and never had one come back and repeat the behavior. Respect begets respect.

I don`t know why, but my beagle is a barker, too. When he barks I shoot him with a water pistol. It`s a nice idea and it works. Its better then cry - cause the dog think, you bark with him. I found this tipp in a ebook. I don`t know the name yet, but I found this ebook on this review site.
    I hope it helps u:
    http://www.free-new-articles.com/

Quote Originally Posted by MoniLebbers View Post
    I don`t know why, but my beagle is a barker, too. When he barks I shoot him with a water pistol. It`s a nice idea and it works. Its better then cry - cause the dog think, you bark with him. I found this tipp in a ebook. I don`t know the name yet, but I found this ebook on this review site.
    I hope it helps u:
    http://www.free-new-articles.com/
    Hmmm. Maybe shooting the kids with a water gun would discourage the behaviour.
    I have CDO. It's like OCD, but all the letters are in alphabetical order, as they should be!