The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

I just got the following news release, sent to their Board of Directors, Athlete Leadership, Nat'l and Int'l Equestrian Sport Affiliate Council, and Equestrian Media:

You are invited to a special meeting of the AHSA Exectuvie Committee this afternoon at 5:15EST.
    Call In 800 791-2345

Passcode 41640#

This is a meeting of the AHSA Executive Committee, therefore only members of the Committee may participate and vote, however, everyone is welcome to attend. At the close of the meeting the floor will be opened for questions.

Because this call will involve a large number of callers you may eliminate background noise by pressing *1 to mute your phone. You must remember to press *1 again when you wish to speak.

I will be commuting at 5:15, but I hope one of you will check in and report back ! It sounds as though anyone with the passcode can listen.

At AHSA conventions the general membership is not allowed to sit in on the actual Board meeting..... just some preliminary stuff.

Why would they allow this meeting to be "open" via teleconference?

Does anyone know this for a fact?

It should be interesting. I wonder if they will do a point by point refutation (I think I made that word up) of the USET's call or just have a Q&A session.
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Woodbern, at the Annual Meeting, the final Board Meeting is open to the public! Snowbird and I were there this year, and Snowbird spoke to the board at the meeting about her rule change proposals. Any one attending had the right to speak.

I think their reason for opening this afternoon's meeting up is because of the importance of the topic to the membership and the equestrian community, and the AHSA's desire to let people hear for themselves what is going on as much as possible.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

at the Convention. They do allow us into the final meeting after all has been argued about/thrashed out. They try to present a unified front and make nice.

All the "good stuff" and heavy debate goes on prior to that, in the meatier board meetings! Those are not open.

For some time I was on several committees, but finally tired of going all over the country to the conventions just to hear my two committees converse for a sum total of, hmmmmm, three hours! Might have felt differently if I could have sat in on board meetings.....

Glad this phone conference is open, although only the Lord knows where I will be at 5:15! LOL
    [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

a number of contracts with the USET will cease. Case in point, Mark Phillips has an agreeement with the USET for his leadership role with the Eventing Team. That would be terminated on Sunday Feb 25th should the USET not receive some form of intervention.

Food for thought.

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Thank you all for posting this info. Hopefully we can get thru and listen in to the tele-conferencing. It will be interesting to hear peoples take on this.

would it not be true that if the uset had agreed to the AHSA's proposal then the contracts would not be in jeopardy? (If they had then the USET would still be extant - as a division.)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

SGray, from a legal perspective I do believe you are correct. However, with the issue now at hand with the USET not agreeing to such a "deal" where does that leave Sandy Pflueger, Mark Phillips, Klaus Balkenhol, etc. ?

Please note I am not mentioning any of this to stir up the pot as it were, but rather trying to ensure that everyone knows that other aspects are impacted.

Unless they have a previous desire to get out of their contract - don't you think that they would negociate if necessary?

Thanks for the information Glimmerglass. S, you're right they are honorable people, and they only recently signed their agreements, as did David O'Connor last week. They must certainly have been aware of the situation and the pending expiration of the operating agreement and its possible consequences. Reasonably, there must be something in their contracts dealing with this contingency.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

AHSA Issues Statement Responding to USET Challenge for NGB Status

On behalf of the officers of the American Horse Shows Association, Inc.
    (AHSA), Alan F. Balch, President, issued the following statement:

"We are very disappointed in the United States Equestrian Team's (USET)
    challenge to our historic status as National Governing Body (NGB), which was
    filed today with the United States Olympic Committee (USOC).

"The tone and approach the USET has taken in announcing this challenge is
    also disappointing. The AHSA has always welcomed, and will continue to
    welcome, the support of all of its affiliates, including the USET, in their
    many important efforts on behalf of our international equestrian athletes.

"I have called the AHSA Executive Committee into special session this
    afternoon, so we can consider the financing and budgeting which will be
    necessary given the USET's challenge today. We look forward to sharing our
    ideas with the USOC Membership and Credentials Committee this weekend, and I
    am certain that all of the rights and opportunities of our equestrian
    athletes will continue to be fully funded and protected without
    interruption."

Going by the two calls - I know which way I'd vote!

Interesting that Armand Leone and Eric Straus had very little to say. They were given a myriad of opportunities to do so.

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

No question there! Interestingly, many people listened to the call.

Any interesting info, or is it all in the AHSA statement made before the meeting? How do they plan to fund former-USET tasks in the short term, and do they have any idea why the USET thinks that their delegating to the AHSA would be in compliance?
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

I would like to see the point previously raised by Glimmerglass (loss of contracts) officially addressed by the appropriate person in the USET hierarchy.

During the conference call this afternoon, Alan Balch stated that the AHSA does not know that these contractual alliances (Mark Phillips, etc) would be in jeopardy, as the AHSA has not seen any contractual documents. He was clear to say that the AHSA does not know that they will.... and the AHSA does not say that they will not.

Hello..... USET reps out there? Care to comment on the finer points of your various agreements with these famous folks? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif[/img]

Arrgghhh! I'm so sorry I missed the call. Work interfered, then I had to rush out to my lesson so I couldn't beg for details immediately.

So, details please. S.Gray? wtywmn? woodbern? Somebody?

I don't see there is a problem, I have no doubt that the AHSA will make good use of whatever staff requires a contract. And, those who are a duplication will be looking for jobs.

I don't see any choice, we want and need an Olympic team and the USET has decided to be a private club. I have no doubt they will all be eligible for whatever trials are established to qualify for the team.

The Leones did sue and they in that fashion weaseled their way onto the team. Personally, I've known them since they were little boys and they are used to having their own way. I think it is unfair for Armand to show as an amateur with his background and riding his brothers horses. That is an example of how they treat the establishment, and those from the bedrock of this sport.

What a pity, but I must agree with all of you that Alan Balch has made the right moves and the AHSA has the stability to cope. I wouldn't mind a fee for the USET nearly as much as I mind what I've seen from California for the WCE.

I wish I had known about the teleconferences I surely would have tuned in, but then all my chores would be standing abandoned and my kids would all be mad at me.

Gee, here I am in another side of the world, where a similar reorganization is happening without a quarter of the battles. I simply do not understand the Team's press release: the challenge was �necessary� because the AHSA had stated that they were going to take over the team and prevent any international participation (or words to that effect)??

That is certainly not how I read the AHSA�s proposal.

My interpretation is that the AHSA proposal was asking the team to continue to be responsible for the international/high performance division. They would do this by by being part of a transition group who would write the new corporate documents and constituting the initial board and officers for the new NGB. The ttransition group was proposed to include 10 people from both the AHSA and the USET (each naming 5 individuals of their choosing), and then these 10 people choose 5 more individuals. These 15 people would be responsible for assuring an equitable transition scenario. This is the proposal that is characterized as an attempt to take over all functions of the USET and put them out of business??

It is my understanding that the end the Operating. Agreement is a necessary prerequisite to the AHSA being able to defend itself against the USET challenge, since the only areas of compliance that can be questioned are those that come under the OA!

Here again, this does not add up: The Team doesn't want the OA; they say it puts us out of compliance. YET, they won't allow it to be terminated -- can someone explain that?

The OA is a contract, and when it reaches the expiration date agreed to by both parties, it expires. How can one party extend a contract between 2? We simply go back to the way it was for 46 years. Except that the President no longer appoint themself to key positions or writes agreements without Board and Executive Committee consent, as the two USET Presidents under the OA have done.

If the USET �goes out of business�, it will only be because they CHOOSE to refuse to spend money on athletes' participation unless the AHSA agrees to hand the NGB title, and control of any aspects of the sport they want, over to USET leadership. If the USET holds the international participation as hostage in this deal, I am sure the AHSA Executive Committee would work out a budget to assure the 2001 programs planned by the USET will happen regardless of USET $$$. In as much as the AHSA people seem to be a far sighted group, they have probably already done this. And I would bet will do it without a $2mm deficit.

On the contracts, I have heard that David O'Connor has assured the AHSA that there is nothing in his contract about the O.A.. I interpret that as those holding USET contracts would only be threatened by the USET saying they won't honor them unless they become the NGB. Or more perversely, the USET holds these people to the letter of their contracts and does not allow them to move over to work for the new NGB if/when they lose. :frown:

Oh, yeah, did the easement happen?

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img]
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!