The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

I received the message that the conference had not yet started....would start in 7 minutes... please try again....
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

The call was pre-established for members of the media who are defined as being part of IAEJ or the International Alliance of Equestrian Journalists. A corresponding code went to each and would be required to be submitted to get on.

Aside from the issue of control it also is an issue of cost - for each person calling in (a port in telephony terms) there is a unit cost. Opening the door to the pubic could easily make their conference calling provder rather wealthy.

It's about to start

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

i'm listening now....

will post as i hear what they say...

USET Challenges for Official Designation as NGB for Equestrian Sport Viability of Equestrian Athlete Programs at Stake

Gladstone, NJ, February 22, 2001 - Today the United States Equestrian Team
    (USET) petitioned the United States Olympic Committee (USOC) to challenge
    for official designation as national governing body (NGB) for equestrian
    sport.

The decision by the American Horse Show Association (AHSA) to strip the USET
    of the authority to continue its efforts for international equestrian
    athletes upon the expiration of the Operating Agreement (Sunday, February
    25) has forced the USET to file this challenge. Failure to do so would cause
    a complete collapse of all USET athlete programs. With the World
    Championship selection trials beginning in September, the best interests of
    the athletes compel the USET to take this action.

According to USET Chairman and President, Finn M.W. Caspersen, "I have
    publicly stated that I have always been reluctant to implement this action
    to solve the NGB question. However given the USET Board vote, the recent
    circumstances, and after extensive consultation with athletes, trustees, and
    legal counsel, it is the only option that will ensure the stability, funding
    and infrastructure that is necessary for our athletes and our international
    effort now and in the future."

The AHSA submitted a proposal to the USOC's Member and Credentials Committee
    stating, "if the USET chooses not to become part of USA Equestrian (AHSA
    Merger Proposal), the new NGB, the AHSA is fully prepared, immediately, to
    assume all responsibilities for those function currently performed by USET."
    The AHSA plans to take over the functions performed by the USET for the past
    50 years on February 25, 2001. The AHSA currently does not have programs,
    infrastructure or personnel in place to provide the necessary support
    athletes require.

The AHSA is not in compliance with the Ted Stevens Olympic and Amateur
    Sports Act and USOC bylaws. The AHSA is the currently titled NGB while the
    USET is the organization responsible for and practiced in administering the
    athlete programs for team selection, training, development and support.

Both organizations will be meeting this Saturday before the USOC Membership
    and Credentials Committee on February 24, 2001 in San Antonio, Texas. The
    current operating agreement will expire the next day and the ability to
    timely petition the USOC for a change of NGB status will expire in October

The United States Equestrian Team is a non-profit organization that selects,
    trains, equips and finances equestrians of the highest possible standard to
    represent our country in major international competition, including the
    Olympic Games and the World Championships. To accomplish this the USET seeks
    out and nurtures the development of talented athletes - riders, drivers and
    horses - and provides the support and guidance they need to help them attain
    their fullest potential. For more information on the USET, please call (908)
    234-1251, or visit USET ONLINE at www.uset.org.

He is asking good questions

Just wondering. Her reports for Horse of the Delaware Valley are so blatantly biased in favor of the USET.

Will be amusing to hear her "take" on today's teleconference.

I heard JS and KyraBeth Houston - missed some of the other names

KK, et al. Any of them in on it?

Hope we get a comprehensive report from someone!

Whether they are factual or unbiased is another issue entirely. LOL

Thanks SGray, for checking in! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

One of the questions asked was if membership fees would change once this designation is made. Armand (I think it was he)said the if the USET became NGB, changes would be "minimal but not much" and it was all spelled out in their proposal, but if AHSA became NGB: "If AHSA takes it on, they have a $6-8 million deficit to make up." and that dues would therefore have to change, i.e. go up.

I know other posters were on the call, but for the benefit (?) of others here is the bottom line from a conference call attendee:

"USET disappears as of Sunday if USOC doesn't grant USET some extension until the matter is decided. USOC has 180 days to decide the NGB issue give or take."

AnneFS

RE: "If AHSA takes it on, they have a $6-8 million deficit to make up." and that dues would therefore have to change, i.e. go up. - did anyone ask where that deficit # comes from? Is that the total that the USET raises each year? Do they think that no one will ever contribute to teams again?

Where the hell Armand Leone gets the idea that the AHSA has a deficit, or would have a deficit by assuming the USET functions, I don't know.

It is the USET who would have to start paying for all the things the AHSA now does -- training and licensing of officials, disciplinary hearings and enforcement, equine drug testing. All of those essential functions cost a great deal of money.

The USET idea is that is can somehow be the NGB and avoid incurring those costs by delegating those responsbiilities to its new underling, the AHSA. However, I've yet to hear a rational explanation (or any explanation for that matter)of how that set-up would not violate the same anti-delegation provisions of the Amateur Sports Act that the arrangement between the AHSA and USET currently violates.

And there is no question of whether the AHSA will become the NGB, it isthe NGB. It is the USET which is challenging that status, something it has planned on doing for at least the last 3 years, not something it has been forced to do because of the AHSA refusing to extend the Operating Agreement. The reason for the Operating Agreement in the first place was because the USET was complaining about NGB status and the Operating Agreement was a compromise!
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I called the USOC and got the information on when and where the meeting is on Saturday in San Antonio. It is open to the public, not just the media. I'd like to attend but as of now I have another committment.

The USOC Membership and Credentials Committee meeting to discuss the equestrian NGB issue will take place at 10:00 am, Saturday, February 24, at the Plaza San Antonio Hotel, 555 S. Alamo Street, San Antonio, TX (210) 229-1000.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

JS asked about the history of the conflict between AHSA and USET - Leone starts with (and I paraphrase) Originally the US Calvary handled the teams for international competition....

To my mind he seemed to imply that the AHSA was given NGB status by default - that they couldn't handle fielding teams - that a splinter group formed the USET to come to the rescue....

KyraBeth was on the call - perhaps she will put something out there that will further enlighten

That reminds me of a question I've had for awhile.

Armand Leone is now the Vice-Chairman of the USET, another Leone is an athlete representative, and the third brother is an active athlete on the team.

But wasn't it the Leone family that sued the USET a few years ago to force the objective selection of the show jumping team, when Mark or Peter (can't remember which) didn't make the Olympic team? They joined in the suit by Dehbie Dolan against the Team. Then, as I recall, didn't they lead the (failed) proxy fight to try to take over the USET in the wake of that lawsuit?

So how did they move from suing the USET to becoming key decision makers in the organization? What changed? I'm not implying anything wrong in it, and it probably doesn't mean anything, I'm just curious about how such a change in positions takes place in a relatively short time. Anybody know?

SGray, yes Ky was on the call and I expect DUL to have something on that site. However, as you would assume, it is more from the implications on the USDF as per say.

[This message was edited by Glimmerglass on Feb. 22, 2001 at 03:35 PM.]