The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

As posted on the thread announcing Kathy's death, I'd like to propose that we take out a group ad in the COTH and memorialize Kathy's sheer bravado and spirit.

I can't think of anything more perfect for the ad than the picture of Kathy "RocketMan" Havens atop Bud with her backpack of oxygen.

The ad rates, according to the online mag, are, for 2 colour:

Full page - $1342
    2/3 page - $1055
    1/2 page - $862

There will likely be production costs unless someone is able to produce camera-ready artwork - in which case there is a 15% discount off the base-rate.

I am more than happy to organize this effort and contribute towards the cost of the ad. If someone is able to get in touch with Kathy's husband to ensure that he has no objections and if others are able to produce camera-ready artwork, that too would be wonderful, please either post here or email me.

She was such an inspiration to so many of us, it seems only fitting that we celebrate her courage and joy for life in the pages of COTH.

As posted on the thread announcing Kathy's death, I'd like to propose that we take out a group ad in the COTH and memorialize Kathy's sheer bravado and spirit.

I can't think of anything more perfect for the ad than the picture of Kathy "RocketMan" Havens atop Bud with her backpack of oxygen.

The ad rates, according to the online mag, are, for 2 colour:

Full page - $1342
    2/3 page - $1055
    1/2 page - $862

There will likely be production costs unless someone is able to produce camera-ready artwork - in which case there is a 15% discount off the base-rate.

I am more than happy to organize this effort and contribute towards the cost of the ad. If someone is able to get in touch with Kathy's husband to ensure that he has no objections and if others are able to produce camera-ready artwork, that too would be wonderful, please either post here or email me.

She was such an inspiration to so many of us, it seems only fitting that we celebrate her courage and joy for life in the pages of COTH.

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

so will will and I....

The gene pool could use a little chlorine.
    Ellipses users clique ...
    TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Count me in [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

"If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then give up. No use being a damned fool about it" -W.C. Fields

[This message was edited by Tin on Apr. 17, 2002 at 08:01 AM.]
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

~~Bucksnort~~

Let me on the band wagon! Serengeti and I want in.
    1-800

Seen on a Centre College Democrats T-Shirt
    "Because no one ever said they wanted a good piece of elephant."
    \"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag and begin slitting throats.\"

\"Betwixt the stirrup and the ground, mercy I asked and mercy I found.\"

The separation and getting started on my own (with 2 horses) has left me finacially challanged, but My husband and dearest friend is a creative director at an ad agency in Baltimore. He lays out ads in his sleep. I'm sure he'd take care of the layout for us, and I'll be personally repsonsible for placing the media and trafficing the ad. I mean that's what I do for a living.

So Sad!

-- Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.

[This message was edited by lisamarie8 on Apr. 16, 2002 at 11:05 PM.]
    ------------------------------
    Life Goes On

I'll donate [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]What do I need to do?

Laura & Casey
    Men are like good chocolates; the richer, the better.
    Photo Album:
    http://community.webshots.com/user/viprincesss

Firstly, we need to get her husband's consent. I'm going to send an email to Kathy's email address and hope that someone there is reading her incoming messages. Failing that, I'll contact the funeral home and see whether I can get contact info. for her husband/family.

Lisamarie - that'd be fabulous. If he's feeling especially inspired, perhaps he can create a headline and copy for the ad, too -- though I know there are several people on the BB who work in the industry and may well have some ideas for headline and copy also.

Please do post if you're interested so I can get an approximate 'head count'; but I'd like to wait until we get some form of approval from her husband/family before I start collecting money.

Heidi, I can send an email to Kathy's friend who posted the original thread, and see if she can contact Kathy's husband or pass along his contact info to us.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heidi:
    Lisamarie - that'd be fabulous. If he's feeling especially inspired, perhaps he can create a headline and copy for the ad, too -- though I know there are several people on the BB who work in the industry and may well have some ideas for headline and copy also.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    I would SO love to be able to do that for her and her family. Copy can come from wherever her husband wants it to come from. If he's not up to it I'm sure the board can decide on something. We'll lay it out, do the insertion order and be sure to get it to the publication. I actually recieve COTH's rate card every quarter [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Life Goes On

That would be wonderful.

If you do get the info. Erin, do you want to contact her husband/family to get their permission for the memorial ad and use of the picture? If that's the case, I'll either post and/or email lisamarie with the go-ahead.

BTW, lisamarie, I don't want to burden her husband/family with trying to dig up the original photo - if we use the photo that Kathy posted of herself directly from the BB, will we lose a lot in resolution?

Heidi, I was just in the process of checking that out, cause i thought the same thing. It looks like it was scanned in at an OK res. The top picture I think would come out pretty well, but i'd have to check with Billy to be certain.

I just looked for my COTH rate card (yes I'm a geek) and i lost it in the mood, whoops MOVE (Calling Dr. Freud, is Dr. Freud in the house)...along with my reps name. Erin, can you point me in the right direction with that one when the time comes?

Life Goes On

Heidi, just sent off the email, and asked if there was a way for either you or I to get in touch with him (after the services). I'll let you know whatever I hear back, and I can contact them for you, if you'd rather.

LisaMarie, you probably have all this info already, but here are the COTH's ad specs and rate info:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/display_info.html

LOL... apparently I'm reading your mind, LisaMarie... there you go! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

let me know where to send a check [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

www.meandercreekstable.com

Count me in too. Just let me know where to send the check.

visit www.victorianfarms.com

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Count me in too.

On the photo resolution thing, I think that you need something like 150 dpi for a printer and 300-600 for a service bureau. Not sure where COTH print ads fit into this scheme.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Absolutely. I'm in.

www.foalcams.com
    "Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we will find the hoofprint of the horse beside it." ~John Moore

Count me in, too. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

=^+^=

[img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] I just haven't been the same since that house fell on my sister. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]