The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rhino Shelter or Shelter Logic Run in type sheds

Does anybody use these types of fabric style run in sheds? I believe tractor supply sells the shelter logic brand? Just wondering how sturdy they are and if it's really windy would they blow away says they are easy to assemble/install and are around $560 compared to several thousand plus installation for the traditional steel or wooden??

http://www.mdmshelters.com/horse-house-style.php

we bought a large shelter logic portable garage to use as a run in. we had a windstorm...50 mph winds (we never get wind storms) the thing is in pieces behind my barn now. i cannot believe how the wind ripped that thing to shreds AND bent the metal poles.

We put one up as a temporary shelter for a horse singled out from the others.
    We had some 45mph windgusts an the thing lifted up and bent the metal poles.
    It was scary, we managed to pull the fabric off real quick before something totally scary happened.

If you can put it somewhere where it's got natural shelter from wind, it may well be okay, otherwise, imo it doesn't do well in high winds.

Not all horses like them, the sound of rain on the fabric, one of mine did not like that at all.

We may fix it and put it up behind another barn so it's got full shelter from the wind and use it as equipment storage.

I'm so sick of those things I hate them I hate them I HATE them. Forget the wind, just find one itchy draft horse and it is GONE. We have "spare parts" from about 5 of the dang things....

Catch is... you can buy 8 10x20 shades for the price of -1- loafing shed the same size.

I'm hoping I can cut that cost in half with something that will work by doing the construction in my "copious free time" but it'll still be hopefully a time and money saver after not having to blow an afternoon fixing one of those stupid dayshades ever again.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com