The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Oh come on Snowbird..Going to a show is a terrorizing experience???What planet are you on? The first time or two on a trailer could be unnerving but they soon LEARN that it isn't a threat..the same can't be said of the flopping, heavey seated, plumber handed LESSON sitting on their backs. You are using circular reasoning to justify YOUR use of horses while dissing our use (ie showing) I would NEVER want to be a lesson horse no matter how you sugar coat it. Medications are good and justified and their abuse depends on the hands administering the same...In fact, the SAME thing can be said of lesson horses...they are only as "safe" and "comfortable" as the person managing them cares to make it for them..Either way, it isn't the gun that kills the person, it is the HAND that holds the gun (drug..lesson horse..) You CAN NOT legislate morality and it takes a MORAL conscience to be a good horseman...not everyone is in possession of the same.

Betsy
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

You can't paint the picture of a lesson horse in just one color. I know enough of them that are fat, happy and sound. They just aren't fancy enough to be show horses. I also know plenty of show horse that are fat, happy and sound. Some people are good to their horses, some are not. Some people choose to compete fairly, some do not.

Flash...CORRECT!!! And some people that use medications are not trying to squeeze yet another round out of a hapless cripple..you have just proven my point. It isn't all balck and white..there are shades of grey and no amount of rules will stop people from abuse..that has to come from their heart and conscience, if they have one.

Betsy
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

First let me point out that not all show horses ship in "tin cans". At most of the shows I attend those tin cans you refer to are usually used to transport equipment.
    Next, most of the show horses I am familiar with are quite accustomed to (or quickly become that way) the life of a show horse. They look pretty darn comfortable bedded up to their bellies in straw or shavings.
    Most of the show horses I am familiar with are too valuable to turn out in a herd. No doubt that is what mother nature intended for them, but they DO adjust to individual turn out. And besides, what fool would turn horses with hind shoes out together?
    Finally, horses, no matter what their job, schoolmaster to Grand Prix will always go better, in the end, for the better rider. The reason the schoolmaster is so valuable is simply it's measure of tolerance.
    I realize you are in a different part of the horse world than I am, but please do not generalize as I go to great lengths for the care and comfort of the horses in my charge.

Truce..like all things in life not every show horse is abused and not every school horse is abused. AND, not every horseman is compelled to win at all costs, nor is every show manager a vicious thief picking peoples pockets.

Extremist analogies work on both sides of any argument. So please accept my analogies in the same venue as those accusing us of making our school horses unhappy with beginners flapping on their backs and banging their mouths.

I think there is a valid case for which situation is closer to the basic needs of the horse versus those which are taught and accepted. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Although I am not a regular on the AA circuit-occasionaly attending Vt.and Saratoga out of my area(Ma.),but I do enjoy watching the top hunter and jumpers perform.I also read all that I can about the best in our sport even though I am not one of them. I am not jealous of those with more money-almost everyone at the AA shows- than I have,butI make do,with a wonderful trainer and I have now a young horse-I retired my old one who is turned out with some other old campaigners-hay grain and trimming.I don't hate winners.I think that snowbird with over 4000 posts has some interesting posts,but now I am not so sure that I understand where she is comming from and where she has been.Speaking about how we should accept the AHSA hearing committee on the reserpine hearings-few agree-zero tolerance for the AA shows,AA show horses being driven around in tin cans and suffering stress.I don't see stress-except pony mothers and horses that are being chases around on a rope(because of the AHSA drug program) at the shows I attend.Ithink a hunter and jumper at the shows has a pretty darn good life-especially compared to the current"darling" of the AHSA-combined training. And yet her school horses who LOVE carrying around lower level riders bouncing on their backs and balancing on their mouths,should be able to be medicated-maybe that is why they LOVE to go around in a circle for hours and hours. The almighty $ drives many things and horse sports are no exception.Snowbird admits that she has seen horses jumping too much at the shows she manages,but does nothing about it-possibly as it occurs during paid(cash-like temperalax)schooling sessions.Medicating her shcool horses to let them continue to provide funds for her business and then leases them out on the weekends for shows is fine,then under the guise that they love being in a herd atmosphere she turns them out-Possibly saving $ on hay grain and bedding ,not to mention labor to muck out.I do not think she is abusing her horses,but I would not do it that way.Maybe Snowbird should try to contact Walt Disney about a film of her school horses standing by the fence talking to each other about the next bus load or beginners who they can't wait to carry around because they LOVE being a school horse-Wow how scary,because I think that she may possibly really BELIEVE this bizarre scenario. We should maybe take what she says about the top people with a grain of salt as apparently she has a problem with winners at the major events.Is this also possibly why she constantly complains about her zone personel and the fact that she is not on the elected zone committee? I think we all love,like appreciate horses in one form or another,but they do have a function and we need to care for them in a realistic manner including treating them when they need some help.Snowbird-no truce yet because you still haven't fessed up about the positive test at your A show

upperco -- please keep your discussion on the actual problem you perceive. Do not focus on individuals. Snowbird is not required to "fess up" to anything on this forum. Remember the rules please -- "issues, not individuals."

Thanks
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

sorry didn't mean to