The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Lunging in a crowded schooling area at a show.

At one series of rated shows I did, I noticed a woman lunging a very uptight horse in the schooling area every show while people were trying to warm up. The horse was not well behaved, and I never actually saw her show in in any classes. At the most recent indoor (B rated), she schooled him in the indoor over the jumps, but never entered any classes. Again, he was less than well behaved, and it was very very crowded in the ring before the show.

I realize that horses need to school at shows before they actually enter one, but why at a crowded rated show? Isn't that why schooling shows are held?

Lunging in a crowded schooling area at a show.

At one series of rated shows I did, I noticed a woman lunging a very uptight horse in the schooling area every show while people were trying to warm up. The horse was not well behaved, and I never actually saw her show in in any classes. At the most recent indoor (B rated), she schooled him in the indoor over the jumps, but never entered any classes. Again, he was less than well behaved, and it was very very crowded in the ring before the show.

I realize that horses need to school at shows before they actually enter one, but why at a crowded rated show? Isn't that why schooling shows are held?

Why didn't the shows have a "no lunging in the schooling rings" rule? Or did they and it was ignored?

Around here we had -- still have -- a guy who habitually runs his poor horse around the ring on schooling day before the show starts, jumping without looking where the hell he's going or who might be in the way, running around paying no attention to where anyone else is or what they're doing. I almost slugged him one day when he charged his horse toward my then-green gelding and my poor boy had to leap out of the way. No amount of pleading with or screaming at this guy seemed to help. He's say he was sorry then do it again. His trainer refused to take him to shows, but he would go on his own. (His poor horse is a saint to put up with it and not kill him.) Finally one day, a British trainer was over here visiting a friend and just watching a local show. She saw him do the same thing, and even though she didn't know him or the horse he nearly ran into, she marched right up and let him have it both barrels, with proper English diction and very colorful language. It was wonderful to watch... And the guy is actually somewhat better behaved now.
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

I have 2 pets peeves i can think of at the moment..
    One of them is when your at a local show and there are people there with their 100,000 ponies trying to rack up points in smaller circuits becuase they can. There is one girl around here who is a very good rider and has nice ponies and would do well at the "A"s but shows at the little stuff. It's not like they don't have the money either to go to the bigger shows. (Although she did do local day @ WIHS and did quite well.) I think it takes ribbons away from the people who can't go to the bigger shows.

My second one is girls that are tooooooooo big for their ponies!!! The same girl that I wrote about above is about 5'7' and still rides a medium!!!!!!!!!! She looks ridiculus on him but yet, has great equitation and its a nice pony so they always win!
    Does anyone else ever see these two things?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

I'm surprised that the woman schooling the green horse could get away with that without being entered at the show. I know that most of the shows I attend will not allow anybody to be mounted on the grounds, let alone in the ring during schooling, without a back number. Show management usually cites insurance reasons for requiring that you be entered.

And yes, that's what schooling shows are for. And around here, we have some very excellent schooling shows where they build the jumps to full spec height and make them look just like what you'll see at the A3 shows. If you can jump around there, you'll have no problem at an A3. There's one schooling series where the Chapots and Kevin Babington are regulars, bringing around all their greenies.

My pet peeves regarding schooling: kids schooling ponies, completely oblivious to everybody else, and who haven't been taught the basic showring courtesies like calling "inside" or "outside", or "heads up" for the schooling jump.

Also, some trainers come into a schooling area with their students and take over. I've seen trainers come into a schooling area for a low jumper (like 2'6") division and proceed to crank the jumps up to 3'6"+. Arghhhhh. What about the rest of us who need a couple of warm-up fences at the specified height??? Why do you need to warm up your horse at 3'6" so you can jump 2'6"?

The of course, there's my favorite pet peeve: trainer as crutch, or the totally dependent rider who can't so much as breathe on the horse without a trainer present, and the trainers who make them that way. Any takers?
    Why do I like most horses better than most people?

\"in the wind, and rain, looking for the sun..................\"

Oh now Shasamour, I thought we did a number on the 'trainer as crutch' thing? We all seem to think it's ridiculous and unnecessary. But it seems to be politically correct these days, ugh! Welcome to the milennium, you don't need therapy, you need a trainer.......

As show management I can agree with the pet peeve of the perpetual schoolers who never show. We do try, but some of the tricks, save the back number from another show! Or enter and then scratch because the horse is lame.

While 98% of the exhibitors are cooperative and trying to get a job done, there are the 2% with more excuses than M&M has M&Ms. Usually these are the rude, poorly prepared on horses that won't behave. My pet peeve is the horse and rider who are incompetent but insist on showing at a higher level than they should and demolish the course, flinging rails and standrads in their wake, class after class.

The schooling problem is the most serious because it puts others at risk, and not just the equipment. I can tell you that in the half hour before the show starts lots of the horses are using the same number as the one entered. They come out all day schooling in every ring, all for the one entry fee.

That's why I have always been in favor of "no schooling". I had to throw a very well known trainer out of our ring for schooling his daughter during the schooling break on a speculation horse. When you see a packed parking area and a crowded show grounds don't be so sure that management is making the money.

Just look through these threads and see how many would be solved with the no schooling rule.

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

(Tongue firmly in cheek) Oh, no, wtywmn4, you need multiple trainers as crutches AND a therapist - haven't you seen all the sports psych ads in The Chronicle? PH even has a columnist! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Yes, Anne, and the next thing you know the alternative medicine drug companies will be sporting their goods: (my fave) Celestial Seasonings Tension Tamer tea is now in pill form! ;-)

Seriously, one of my pet peeves is trainers who literally run/jump the legs off their animals during the morning before showing - whether it be in the schooling area or otherwise. Did get the Steward to check a large pony that looked like it was about to collapse once, but, you know ponies they are amazing survivors - this one had been longed, then galloped around in plus 90 degree weather for several hours - actually when I went to find the steward, she had been watching and had called the vet and was on her way to find them.

I've seen this with trainers on horses, too, and find it truly appalling.
    co-author of 101 Jumping Exercises & The Rider's Fitness Program; Soon to come: Dead Ringer - a tale of equine mystery and intrique! Former Moderator!

In posting a reply on another thread I remembered a pet peeve of mine.

Red Ribbions in the horses tails mean stay away, not ride up closer. I have a stallion that some times kicks at my leg and gets sullen when someone rides on his tail. He does not kick at other horses put as a precaution I have put a ribbion in his tail at times. When I do it does no good. people stilll come why to close and just stay their with their horse nose in my stallions tail. And god forbid you till some one to watch out. I can fell the stallion blow up before you can see it.

I also have a peve with the people who do not share the schooling jumps. At one show we finnally got some help. the schooling supervisor came out and made sure the next horses in the ring had the jumps not the one ten out. Maybe they can give clinics in schooling ring edicate.

Snowbird....What is the "no schooling" rule? No schooling at all? At the show? (And, yes, I do understand how appallingly thick I must sound! Just hard for me to believe this is meant literally!)

ndp

Gee, my pet peeves are a lot different, and much more petty than you guys.

Will the DQ's in the barn please stop parking their horses in the cross-ties, then settling down in the tack room to discuss every single social event in the county?

Will those who get to the barn early and clean stalls please put their manure buckets right side by side so those of us who come later don't have to move every bucket in the place to find room to put ours?

And, last, but most petty, why do the people who come to the barn and get their horse to take to an all day show, or to go watch someone else show, always take the parking spaces closest to the barn doors so that the majority of us who are coming and going all day have to run through the rain and/or snow to the farthest parking spaces?

All this, and I'm not even feeling cranky today!

[This message has been edited by LOUISE (edited 12-04-1999).]
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Dogs running loose.

Annoying, annoying, annoying, annoying....

DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS, DANGEROUS!!!!

My pet peeve..The slaves for the "Snooty Tooty" barns sitting on the schooling jumps when you need one and they are "saving" the jump..perhaps for some future show?? When you ask for the jump , if you get it, you get it with attitude..or they pretend they don't hear you..No Habla Anglais..Yeah right..@#*!*# you too!.
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

Oh, screw them and their attitudes........how's that for holiday spirit?

Palm Beach peeves.... Too many golf carts and too many loose dogs! Why are these two problems so hard to solve? Does every single person on the show grounds need their own golf cart? I know the grounds are huge, and those who are stabled far away need some transportation, but the golf carts are an accident waiting to happen. Actually there have already been numerous accidents caused by loose dogs and golf carts. A few years ago a horse died right in front of our tent, after being spooked by a dog nipping at it's heels, it ran straight into a tree. The next day, that same dog was still loose! Amazing but true....

Virginia and North Carolina, Parrothead Clique!

Not to mention the loose dogs getting run over by the golf carts. . . .

GOLFCARTS,GOLFCARTS,GOLFCARTS,GOLFCARTS,GOLFC

Pet peeves? I could go for days....

People who leave gates open!! Ring gates, paddocks, whatever.

Once, I went to get on the baby, Beemer after confirming all 4 gates to the indoor were shut. He dumped me as I was getting on and promptly left the ring thru the gate that someone else's student didn't bother to shut behind her. Picture it, green TB running thru the barn with ponies on cross ties. Then there was the time a horse got loose bringing him in, and the vet left the farm gate open. I love ya Don, but I nearly lost a customer horse that day!

DQ's in general. I may be younger than you, but I AM perfectly qualified to take care of your ugly, untalented horse that you're afraid of anyway. (I know that was mean, but you didn't have to deal with these women!)

Oh, here's some goofy ones, people who ask "can I ride your horse" while you're on a trail ride. My last barn was in a small public park and I lost count how may times I heard that one. That and small children RUNNING after you to get a closer look at the caballo (sp?). UURGH, quick way to get unseated. And when you tell them to stop, they dont understand or are too facsinated to here you. We would give them the occaisonal thrill and hand gallop up the one short hill, that usually got chears even for the slooow school horses.

Golf Cart Revenge: our barn is part of a city park and we have a REAL big pet peeve about the under-16s driving them (especially the snotty ones that come in for the shows and think our trail system is the National Offroad Racing Circuit). A young friend from our barn becomes an official city Park Ranger in a fortnight and will go around busting them all at the shows ... aaah, I can't wait! Then he can go on to attack the dog problem (no doggies on stable property).

Here's another pet peeve: a gal at our barn buys a lovely ex-jumper two years ago. He's a gorgeous 18.2 hh Argie thoroughbred, jumped internationally, bla bla bla. The vet told the former owners it was time to retire him due to extreme navicular changes. The doc who did the vet check said there was NO WAY she should buy the horse.

But she pays Way Too Much for the lame horse, farts around with him for a year and has fun. Then the New Zealand TB she buys her daughter turns out to be too much horse for the little girl. Guess what? Argie is nerved and is now going off to three and five day shows and doing the jr jumpers and medal classes. Poor guy comes home so beat that he's flat out in his stall for hours at a time and struggles to get up.

And - and I am not exaggerating - when I asked how long she was going to keep this up, the owner said "Well, until he breaks down. Then we'll get my daughter another horse."

Gets my blood boiling just thinking about it.
    EDDIE WOULD GO