The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default THRUSH **HELP** best ways to get rid of it?

I have a serious thrush issue with my OLD boy.. I have tried everything I can think of.. thrush buster. koppertox, peroxide, NO thrush (dry remedy) Thrush out.. etc..
    I have the barn help clean his stall 4 times a day (he is on pellet bedding b/c of health issues) and he is outside 4+ hours a day in the afternoon on limestone.
    I would appreciate any advice.
    Thanks so much!

Ewww, maybe you should try some omega 3's in his diet if he isn't already getting some?

I don't know if you've tried this yet, but the one thing that I've always had luck with (and quickly) is 'blu-kote', it's purple and stains everything but works wonders. Antibiotic, anti-fungal, very economical. I've only had to apply it twice tops to clear stuff up that thrush specific products didn't work on.

Thrush Buster...It's in a little bottle, it's a dark purple. Put it on the frog and sole when it's dry. Works very well

I just got rid of a really bad case in my thrush-prone horse by using Tomorrow, a dry cow mastitis treatment (I purchased it at a Tractor Supply). I read about it on here (search for 'tomorrow' and 'thrush'), and it did work as well as people had said. The thin syringe-y tip helps get in all the cracks and is amazing. Cleared up after 5 days of once daily use.

Durasole!!!

CleanTrax
    followed by White Lightning Gel

and understand that the root cause is probably improper hoof trim, and/or diet
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Dry cow.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunbelle View Post
    Dry cow.

i always heard people use heticin k, which i thought was Today (lactating cow, water based, whereas tomorrow is oil based)?

i use dmso + strong iodine in a spray bottle. super cheap. pick feet, brush, spray once or twice a day.

thrushbuster is just iodine and gentian (?) violet, and IIRC $$.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Teatree oil. The best price here is at WalMart. Infuse by the dropperful, every day or two. Fast work; thrush b gone.

I've also heard that the cow stuff works good, but not sure if its the Today or Tomorrow or Dry cow.

I had the same issue with my big gelding. Tried everything including clean trax for 3 years, including pleglets(SP?) given to me by the vet. Finally the vet(different one) gave me some pills that I was told was for yeast infections in humans and crushed them up into a paste for 10 days. Cleared up and never came back. I still have the bottle - I'll have to look up what the name of the drug. Wasn't expensive and was the only thing that worked for him. Wish I would have been given that by the vet years sooner.

apple cider vinegar works really fast

Has the vet run any analyses to confirm that it is thrush with no underlying issues or secondary infections?

I second apple cider vinegar. Make sure it's the real stuff and not dyed white vinegar.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by achcosuva View Post
    I just got rid of a really bad case in my thrush-prone horse by using Tomorrow, a dry cow mastitis treatment (I purchased it at a Tractor Supply). I read about it on here (search for 'tomorrow' and 'thrush'), and it did work as well as people had said. The thin syringe-y tip helps get in all the cracks and is amazing. Cleared up after 5 days of once daily use.
    I'm currently using this and it's working. I think I have a different brand but it's for cow mastitis. When my horse has pre-thrush, I've found a mixture of 75% bleach/25% water works well. It didn't work for this current case, which was a little more aggressive than normal.

A 50/50 mix of DMSO & Penicillin works on the worst of worst cases.

We fought chronic low-grade thrush in 3 feet on my gelding for YEARS (he weirdly didn't seem to get it in the 4th foot - only the feet with white socks - ?). We tried everything under the sun - Koppertox, Thrush Buster, Thrush X, CleanTrax, White Lightning, peroxide, vinegar, Clorox, etc., - but nothing seemed to work. Then I read about Today and Tomorrow (cow mastitis treatments) on the Horse Care forum, and we gave it a try. It was miraculous - cleared that stuff up pronto! We have since used it with similar success on other horses (and again on my gelding when he had a relapse).

I think I initially used Tomorrow because that is all Tractor Supply had in stock, but we have since then ordered Today. They are very similar, just Today is formulated for use in lactating cows (active ingredient: cephapirin sodium), and Tomorrow is formulated for use in dry cows (active ingredient: cephapirin benzathine). Both formulas are very effective against antibiotic resistant pathogens such as environmental Streptococcus and Staphylococcus.

Well, first of all make sure the trim is good and the horse has plenty of turnout to keep his hooves healthy.

For treating, I found that Today/Tomorrow (Tractor Supply also has a generic version that is cheaper) with Wonder Dust packed on top worked best. Squirt the liquid in the crevasses and pour the Wonder Dust on top and press it down. Today/Tomorrow is kind of thin and the Wonder Dust really helps to keep it in, plus it will dry everything a bit.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Another vote for apple cider vinegar. Soak hooves in it for 10 min/day, multiple times/day if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by pferdfeathers View Post
    Another vote for apple cider vinegar. Soak hooves in it for 10 min/day, multiple times/day if needed.
    YES!!!!

For maintenance, I have a little squirt bottle I got at the dollar tree that I put 50/50 ACV and water in and I put it on hooves daily.

$3 a gallon -- can't beat it.
    You only have to let the soft animal of your body / love what it loves
    "Wild Geese" by Mary Oliver