The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ultra Low-Rise Schooling Breeches

I am hoping the powers of COTH can help me address this short girl dilemma.

I am quite short (5'1) with a very very short waist. I am also a smidge pear shaped and I hate wearing skin-tight breeches so I usually go up a size for comfort and modesty.

When you combine all of these factors you get the intersection of your sports bra, breeches, and belt all around the top of the rib cage. It is unappealing, uncomfortable, and looks downright ridiculous.

I am hoping that I can locate some ultra, ultra, low rise breeches which maybe *crossing fingers* will hit me around my belly button so I can tuck in my polos without looking absurd.

Any suggestions?

I don't but I feel your pain! I think my boobs and my waist all meet right in the middle, with my bellybutton in there just for fun. No matter what I always look stumpy.

They're knit, but Devon-Aire makes some schooling breeches with a really low rise.

Tailored Sportsman Trophy Hunters in short low-rise. I'm the same height as you and the 26S low rise are almost too low rise for me to tuck a polo into. They would probably work for you.

GPA offers some very low rise breeches.

ETA shoot a pm off to GPA01 who reps the clothing line

I'm a normal 5'7" build and the TS Trophy Hunter mid-rise is way too low (in my opinion). So maybe try TS Trophy Hunter low rise.

I buy the same breeches for every day wear as I buy for shows - the more expensive stuff is much better made and holds up for a lot longer. (I hate shopping for clothes so I'd rather buy it once and be done with it.) I am personally a huge fan of Ariat Pro Circuit Breeches. I have yet to put a hole or wear through them - they do stretch quite a bit though over time...

Devon aire hipsters are pretty low. I'd order a size up as they are kind of more like workout tights than pants, but they're the lowest rise breech i can think of!

https://shop.horsemensoutlet.biz/ist...6&id=303!Devon the model photos are beyond ridiculous, and would actually stop me from buying those pants, but i imagine for a shorter person NOT wearing a cutoff shirt at the barn (eye roll), they'd work.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/devon-a...es/p/X1-35513/ these are slightly different, waffle weave, and cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    Devon aire hipsters are pretty low. I'd order a size up as they are kind of more like workout tights than pants, but they're the lowest rise breech i can think of!

https://shop.horsemensoutlet.biz/ist...6&id=303!Devon the model photos are beyond ridiculous, and would actually stop me from buying those pants, but i imagine for a shorter person NOT wearing a cutoff shirt at the barn (eye roll), they'd work.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/devon-a...es/p/X1-35513/ these are slightly different, waffle weave, and cheaper!
    I tried the devon-aire that dover carries. I am 5'2'' and the small is a good size until you bend over. These pants will show your panties even if you wear a belt and a tucked in shirt. They slide down. I wore them once and now they are sitting in a closet. I would not suggest these!

I just went on a schooling breech binge, and the lowest I tried on were the Ariat Heritage front zips. I thought they were WAY lower than the Trophy Hunters...for $85 they might be worth a try. And they come in cute colors for schooling!

I bought a used pair of Royal Highness breeches that were even too low rise for me, and I'm only 4'10"! Even DD felt they were too low (we pretty much wear the same size, although she's 3" taller).

PM if you want them (free), they're a 28 just sitting around in my closet. They do seem to run a tad small. Really cute navy with burgandy piping.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Another option to explore is if you find a breech that you like but feel that the rise is still to high, try it in the girls sizes.

I worked at a tack shop years ago - before they started making low rise breeches - and helped one twenty something find a lower rise by trying some of the girls' sizes. The rise was definitely lower than the ladies sizes.

Seeing as you are only 5'1" you might be lucky enough to fit in the girls sizes!

Good Luck

Awesome. Thanks for all of the feedback.

I am an uber broke college student so t I might see if I can find some of these breeches used or on sale. I have a hard time justifying getting new breeches but some of my current ones are so high that they rub raw spots on my lower ribs.

It sounds like I should look at:
    - Devon-Aire schooling and hipsters
    - Ariat Heritage
    - TS Trophy Hunters
    - Kid's breeches
    - Royal Highness

I'm 5'3 and have the same problem. Not really pear shaped though, my weight is in my middle. I look like an egg on skinny legs and it blends into my boobs... Ok, maybe not that dramatic... But the visual can at least make me laugh about the situation.

With low rise i've found, they seem to run big in most brands, and then when you bend over, they slide down your butt... I really have not found a brand that fits right yet, and i've tried on and owned all of the above. I would say my "favorite" are the VTO low rise pull ons. CHEAP, durable, some different colors in some sizes... Or do what i did and buy white and dye them for variety. I want to tye dye my present white pair, i just havent gotten around to it.

The main thing i like with the VTO low rise is the waist band is wider/thicker, doesnt tend to roll, and doesnt slide off my butt all day long. They do run a size large in my oppinion. Order a size smaller. Since they are a pull on, no zipper to dig into you if they do fit a little high, but they still have the "faux" zipper front. I use the whites for dressage, and have been known to show in the light grey and tan too... Frankly, i dont think anyone knows or cares what brand of breeches i wear into the show ring so long as they are clean and fit.

http://www.vtosaddlery.com/product/K...CH/VTOSHHB.htm

They still arent perfect... I dont know if any breech is for those of us with this problem... But for the price, they do the job for me and my oldest pair is 5yrs and going strong. They are long in the leg and will come to ankle, you might even have to fold it up some, some of my colors seem to be longer than others. Wish they had some moisture wicking abilities for summer months, the twill ones are a little thinner.
    Last edited by butlerfamilyzoo; Apr. 12, 2012 at 02:44 PM. Reason: wrong link

I'm going to second the Ariats, most of their styles that are low rise. Make sure its low rise though, not their midrise (like the pro breeches I'm pretty sure are mid rise, even though they claim theyre low rise. Or modified low rise or something like that). I do not have a short waist, so most of the "low rise" Ariats I've tried on are loooooow

Quote Originally Posted by bits619;6249373[url
    https://shop.horsemensoutlet.biz/istar.asp?a=6&id=303!Devon[/url] the model photos are beyond ridiculous, and would actually stop me from buying those pants, but i imagine for a shorter person NOT wearing a cutoff shirt at the barn (eye roll), they'd work.
    I thought at first she was wearing a nude-colored belt...