The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Leg protection for a young horse who REALLY hates to rap his feet/legs on a pole?

Hi all,

I have a young horse (4) who is pretty well broke on the flat, but in starting him over poles and cavaletti, it's become obvious that he really HATES it when he touches any thing. He's been known to kick at a cavaletti when just passing by it if he's touched it earlier.

So, I'm thinking I might try some really good protective boots to help him gain some confidence that it wont hurt if he makes a mistake and touches a pole.

Suggestions? Would really love stuff that doesn't get too hot. But am thinking that maybe sports medicine boots might be the ticket with some really thick bell boots. But the S/M stuff is soooo hot.

Try some fluffy dressage boots with Walsh bells with the fsheepskin tops. My mare would bolt every time she touched something as a baby.... She just goes n regular open fronts now
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

The SMB ven-techs are not as hot, they breathe really well (they're perforated). I can use them in the HOT summer and his legs won't really even be sweaty under them.

I really like the Dalmar eventer boots. They have strike plates on front and rear of the boot to reduce impact. Maybe give them a try?

While you should offer some protection, part of me thinks he just needs to get over it. Your horses are always AWESOME so I would think he would be smart enough to learn to pick up his feet!lol If he is just doing ground polls, I'm assuming he is hitting his feet. If they are raised cavaletti, is he hitting his cannon bones too? I don't think he would do any real damage to himself by hitting the poles, I would be more worried about him kicking himself, or grabbing a heel when he reacts to it. I would hesitate to really "boot him up" because you should want him to be careful and have some sort of a reaction if he hits a pole. I think a simple bell boot and splint/brushing boot should be all you need.

Off to stalk your website for new pics of your cuties!!
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

My 4 year old is in ASB boots and the fit is good and he's not all sweaty.
    Cloverfox Stables

Quote Originally Posted by Action42 View Post
    I really like the Dalmar eventer boots. They have strike plates on front and rear of the boot to reduce impact. Maybe give them a try?

I have the hind boots for another horse and LOVE them.

For this 4 yo though, I think they don't provide enough coverage down low where he might tap a pole. He's a special case, that's for sure. ;0)

As an example, one time last year, we were trotting along, and he bulged out a little bit so I put my outside spur into him just a tish and without missing a beat, he KICKED the sole of my boot with his outside hind foot. Ya, good luck to me with this one.

Ya, you read that right... he kicked my foot, which was firmly IN the stirrup, while he was trotting because he didn't like my spur. So you can imagine what he thinks of poles that might reach up and bite him. Poor thing.

I'm assuming this is Comet? Sounds like Comet.

I'm guessing Ollie?

I'm with T2T in that I would rather have a youngster afraid that the poles were going to bite him than teach him to even be the tiniest bit dull to the jump (because the extension of what you want to do is exactly that).

My personal preference in a case like this would be to boot him up as normal and hope he figures out how to not hit the poles and jumps. This is an awesome trait in the toned-down-grown-up version, so I would manage it as best as you can now and grab mane whenever you hear a "thunk" I definitely wouldn't encourage him to learn that hitting poles is "okay" because eventually it won't be.

LOL, no not Comet. He's just 3 and is really pretty easy going. It's Ollie, Mr Sensitive.

The problem is that he HATES the poles if he's touched one. Wont go near them if he's made a little mistake and since my arena doesn't have fence around it he thinks he'd rather just leave. I'm concerned that he'll become a rusher if I don't build his confidence a little bit. He's a very careful horse so I don't worry about him getting lazy but I do worry about this tendency to LEAVE the ring. So, I'm going to boot him up really heavily and see if that doesn't help. I think once he learns where to put his feet he'll never touch them and then it wont be a problem at all.

If he weren't so damned sensitive it would be much easier to do like PNWJumper and T2T suggest, but I've known horses like him that turned out to be panic sticken rushers and I don't want that for my nice young horse.

How is he about his legs in general?

I like the NEW fleece XC boots.

Maybe visit a tack shop and get your hands on the boots so you can see what you're getting?
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Let me just add that I really appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. Gives me food for thought.

The Toklat Valena woolbacks are pretty much the fluffiest fleece boots I've come across. I love them, and I think they provide more padding than SMBs(which I do use as well - the perforated ventech version). They hold up quite well if you care for them too, not like some fleece/woolback boots that get flattened out after not too long a time.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    How is he about his legs in general?

I like the NEW fleece XC boots.

Maybe visit a tack shop and get your hands on the boots so you can see what you're getting?
    Going to the rolex in a couple of weeks and figured I'd look at all the items people suggest here, while I'm there. Since the shopping is insane there.

He is okay about his legs.

Up until last year he wouldn't let strangers touch him. I would beg ANYONE who came to the farm to just take a minute and "Please, just pet him." He's extremely shy, although since he's been gelded he's become much more relaxed around strangers, you might even say he's getting friendly.

Have you thought about using those Eskadron Climawhatever liners under polos? It might be worth a try... Otherwise, I'd look into a pair of those thick, fleecy dressage boots and bell boots with a lot of fluff around the top.

Or, you could go a little extreme and get something like this :

http://www.sstack.com/equine-splint-...support-boots/
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by GingerJumper View Post
    Or, you could go a little extreme and get something like this :

http://www.sstack.com/equine-splint-...support-boots/
    Wow, those are hideous but it is sort of what I had in mind. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Wow, those are hideous but it is sort of what I had in mind. LOL
    I almost got them for my TB jumper when I was restarting him, not kidding. So ugly but they seem like they'd do the job!
    I've heard there's more to life than an FEI tent and hotel rooms, so I'm trying it.

Just a thought but do you think the sound of hitting the poles has anything to do with it? Perhaps stuffing his ears one time to see if that makes any difference?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    Prove it....Otherwise, you're just coming off as a whackjob.
    Founding member of the "Not too Klassy for Boxed Wine" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Tap2Tango View Post
    Just a thought but do you think the sound of hitting the poles has anything to do with it? Perhaps stuffing his ears one time to see if that makes any difference?
    Maybe! That could be part of it. He's such a puss. Like the cowardly lion! I will try ear plugs tomorrow. Thanks for all the suggestions! .