The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The ground is like cement...in April?!??

We haven't seen a drop of rain in weeks in my neck of the woods. Yesterday I took Linc out for some conditioning work at the park. It sounded like he was cantering on a paved road Anyone know a good rain dance? My entry is in the mail for Redland but if the ground doesn't soften up soon it may end up being a long drive for an expensive dressage test.

An odd turn of events for Redland, which is usually more likely to be a wash out. I'm going to wash and put away Toby's head to tail God forbid Toby get rained on rain sheet...that should bring on the rain!

It rained here last night, but my night time turnout horses weren't even muddy this morning....ground was barely damp.

Welcome to the drought-filled world of West Texas, where the ground is like cement most of the year! BUT it stormed last night, so now we have standing water everywhere. Guess the ground was too hard for the rain to soak in!
    --Becky in TX
    Clinic Blogs and Rolex Blogs
    She who throws dirt is losing ground.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    An odd turn of events for Redland, which is usually more likely to be a wash out.
    Right? The footing at Morven was even a little hard for my taste - and it wasn't because of ice What a bizarre year we're having so far.

Morven wasn't great, but at least you stayed on the main course. The schooling field did not get aerated (as far as I could tell) and most of the novice course was there. I was dying this weekend at CDCTA. I would not have run my horse normally on that ground, but I was told that Toby NEEDED to do this run (he did. It was very good for him, and me!). Thankfully, his feet are in a much better place this year, and he could have cared less about the footing, and was soundly dragging me around the farm on Sunday night and looked great yesterday.

But I would prefer not to make that a habit. I'll stick my sheet in the washer later today

Default I was JUST thinking about posting about this VERY THING!!!!

I'm in the sunny south - GEORGIA - not a drop of rain in sight for another week. Glad that March was like end of April temps, but early April paddocks (and thus my work areas) look like JULY!!!!!! YIKES!!!! CEMENT! I'm thinking I'll have to just keep the trailer hitched and haul over to Ashland Farm or Triple Creek to even do fitness work after work til Mother Nature gets herself straightened out! Anyone got any suggestions for fitness work at the damn WALK!!!!????
    ~ it no longer matters what level I do, as long as I am doing it..~ with many thanks, to Elizabeth Callahan

Walk a lot

Seriously. Toby and I walk and walk and walk. I don't really do anything other than that (unless he's causing a ruckus and we're cantering in place all the way home). He LOOKS fan-freaking-tastic right now, and was recovered in maybe 5 minutes on Sunday...totally, not even breathing hard, not even hot (and felt good enough to drag me the quarter of a mile down the drive on our "hand graze" that night, do some typical Toby shenanigans when I made the mistake to stop our forward motion to chat with someone, and clobbered me in the head when I still wasn't getting the message that we needed to GO NOW). That was a training level. It's a time commitment (our weekly long walk is usually 90 minutes or so, plus we may go on other walks anywhere from 20min- 1hr a couple of other times a week), but he's really, really fit, has a great top line, I'm not pounding on his legs, and he isn't psycho, stupid fit like he would be if I was galloping! He doesn't NEED that fitness at this level!

Me too, I've been away for a couple weeks, then sick a week, got out to ride three days in a row and I'm HUNTING softer ground. I piled up the jumps to drag the paddock I jump in, no luck softening THAT. I'm in an unused pasture and on my front yard at the moment and if it doesn't soften soon, I'm going to have to start WATERING - the horror. I despise dragging out hoses so early but I am needing to jump and there's nothing around here to even remotely school on at the moment.
    "Passion, though a bad regulator, is a powerful spring." -- Emerson
    www.eventhorse.wordpress.com

You need to buy an Aero-vator from 1st Products. Sorry, yep, my Daddy invented these machines. He has since sold the company & is retired at 81 yrs young but still loves hearing about how his machines help.
    I have one here on the farm & it's wonderful, especially just before a big rain when the ground has been so dry that what water you do get runs right off.
    Just keep telling the course owners that they need one to attract the competitors.
    I think every single event & steeplechase in the country should have one. Really can save a horse's legs & also the riders in event of a fall. Every bit of cushion helps!
    http://www.1stproducts.com/categorie...trian/products
    Producing horses with gentle minds & brilliant movement!
    www.whitfieldfarm.shutterfly.com

Well, if there's ONE course you don't need to worry about being hard, it's Redland. It's always soup. If it is actually DRY that will be a good thing.

it is way more likely that it'll be soft. Don't panic.
    Last edited by asterix; Apr. 11, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    Well, if there's ONE course you don't need to worry about being hard, it's Redland. It's always soup. If it is actually DRY that will be a good thing.

it is way more likely that it'll be soft. Don't panic.
    Been meaning to ask...how's the ground at Waredaca? We're supposed to come up and school xc on Sunday.

Not bad, considering -- we have lots of grass, which helps. I haven't been out in a couple of days due to work, but will let you know after I get back today

His new little brother

Ok, ground report. It's OK. It's not great, but it's not rock hard...I think if you were schooling more technical things than big fly fences you would be fine.
    I plan to do sets out there but will probably circle through the woods for the canter work...

His new little brother