The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Does your vet take credit cards/paypal?

Recently my vet has taken to complaining about clients who are late paying his bills...in front of other clients. Obviously that's wrong, and could be a topic all alone. But I've pointed out to the vet before that they would be far more likely to get PAID if they accepted Paypal and/or credit cards. The truth is, folks now use a card even for McDonald's and their dry cleaning, why would they expect to have hundreds or even thousands of dollars just sitting in their checking account waiting for a vet bill?

So does your vet take credit cards or Paypal?

My vet takes checks, cash, electronic payments, credit cards, debit cards and care credit. He doesn't take pay pal that I know of. He likes getting paid . He has a policy that payment is due at time of service however some of us older clients are allowed to make payments.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Our vets take credit cards. We have them on file with them and they just bill the credit and send us a statement monthly via email.

In talking with vets, farriers, and other service providers, a lot of them are getting stiffed on payments these days. Our hay supplier is thinking of getting out of the business due to the non-payments he's had to eat.

Yes to credit cards. Don't know about any other form of payment. I get a bill (sometimes weeks after the visit) from the equine vet and I call in my CC #. They do not want to keep it on file for security reasons. As I have 30 days to pay that, I can call my number in after my cc statement date, which gives me more time to pay my CC.
    I am still waiting for a bill from a visit on Feb. 22nd! but that involved another clinic that has not billed my own vet yet.

The equine clinic requires payment upon discharge, cc as well.
    My small animal vet also takes cc at time of service.

My vet does NOT take credit cards or any other form of electronic payment. Check or cash only.

This works fine for me, because my vet takes payments, I don't have to have the money up front, in fact, when he leaves, I don't even have a bill in hand. He mails them to me at the end of the month.

The only time it would've been handy was when I ran out of checks and wanted to mail him a payment. Had he taken electronic, I could've just paid him with my debit card, because my checking account had money in it.

The emergency vet clinic does take Care Credit, and all other major credit cards, and expect payment at the time of service.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

My large animal vet requires a credit card on file. It's a huge practice and they are trying to cut down on billing and folks that don't pay.

I'm so glad they take credit cards because there are times when I just don't have the money to pay by check.

Yes to credit cards.
    Kanoe Godby
    www.dyrkgodby.com
    See, I was raised by wolves and am really behind the 8-ball on diplomatic issue resolution.

Wow, im surprised to hear that some vets DONT take credit cards.

Mine does, as well as other forms of payment (not sure about paypal). Sometimes, they print my bill from the truck at the visit, and other times they will e-mail it to me that day. They have my cc # on file, but always ask me if I would like for them to go ahead and run that card. They will NOT run that card without my confirmation.
    Charlie Brown (1994 bay TB X gelding)
    White Star (2004 grey TB gelding)

Mystical Moment, 1977-2010.

I'm glad to see that most vets do. I do understand that like many businesses, the vet would prefer to avoid the fees associated with credit or debit card payments. However, they could easily incorporate that into their fees and then offer a discount for cash/check payments to encourage that.
    This vet does not offer a payment plan, payment in full is expected at time of service. Many clients did not pay promptly, so they now expect payment when service is rendered. I do understand that, but if you want to improve your payment/collection rate, you really need to offer more payment options.

Agree with AliCat...I'm shocked to read of vets that don't take credit cards. Maybe not pay-pal or other electronic forms of payment...but to not take credit cards?

A vet bill is rarely "pocket change" amounts. And few people have liquid money ready to pay off larger costs. There's penalties for removing money from savings, et al. Not everyone keeps tons of extra cash in their checking accounts. Especially these days where people pay monthly bills online.

And being a small operation isn't any excuse, my vet is a one person private practice. Well, tech and vet. No office help, etc. She takes credit cards, has her laptop and a printer right in her truck. I can pay and get an itemized receipt right there. Heck, my farrier does the same. The small expense of setting that up is peanuts compared to them having a regular income as opposed to waiting for checks to clear or get mailed, hoping clients have cash or getting paid in small amounts every month and hoping those checks come in every month before their bills are due.

Plus it's a benefit to me in building up points on my CC.

A vet not taking credit cards? Silly and poor business sense. I see OP is in VT...can you switch to a more professional vet?
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Credit cards, debit cards, checks...also, they just mail me the bill and I stop in and pay it at the office rather than collecting (as I'm never there when the vet does her routine visits.)

And I agree--if the vet takes payments, only accepting cash or check is one thing. If you want paid in full instantly, the more options you have, the better. Some people don't use paper checks, most people no longer carry cash in large amounts.

I've used a couple of different clinics in the last 10 years (due to moving around) and the majority require payment at time of service but the only way you can pay with CC (if at all) is if you call the office as they don't have a way to process them "in the field".

My only issue with that is security of the credit card. I don't want someone writing down my card number and holding on to it. I deal with PCI compliance/credit card handling in my day job and have seen so many issues with it that if the card can't be run in person or there's not a secure site to use, I just write a check.

That's large animal. Now small animal? Most places I know won't take checks.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

well, paypal issues you a card you can use like credit...or debit.

but yes, the vet accepts CC. Plus for me for those weekend emergencies...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    Try setting your broomstick to fly at a lower altitude.
    GNU Terry Prachett

My vet not only takes credit 'cards, th'ey 'will' 'bil'l' me 'at th'e 'end 'of each' month'. 'Very convenient.

'(Pl'ease forgive th'e 'runaway apostrophes - 'I j'ust 'spil'l'ed some 'water in my k'ey'bo'ard!!!)
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Mine resisted it much longer than was necessary. Now he takes CC's, debit cards, checks, cash and payments. Once the vets see that more clients can actually pay their bills without the vet having to chase them for the payment, they get over the percentage they'll have to pay to the cc company in order to offer the service. If the client is too far in arears, the vet calls the BO and gives her a list of people whose horses he will not be giving vaccinations to because of outstanding charges, and then she has a talk with each of them about making small scheduled payments, which puts their horses back on the vaccination schedule. Vacc's are required spring and fall at our barn.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

My Vet bills me. Around the first of the month for any services the previous month. He can give me an estimated cost of things at the time of the appt on his computer. But the billing comes later. I'm fine with that. He also takes "payments" for those larger unexpected bills. For a small fee (a few bucks a month).

Yes, he takes credit cards. I usually send him an e-check when I receive my bill so it gets there before the end of the month. But have paid by credit card before.

My farrier changed his way of billing/receiving payments. He had raised his rates (which he hadn't done in a LONG time) and to minimize sending out bills, etc. he came up with a discounted rate (5%) if you pay on the day of service (either with a check or with a credit card on file). If he has to send you a bill, it's the regular rate.

I used to leave him a check at the barn but now I just have a CC on file.

My vet does not take CC's- she is a one man band and still does everything via paper (doesn't even own a computer). I honestly don't mind because her prices are beyond reasonable.
    “While the rest of the species is descended from apes, redheads are descended from cats.” Mark Twain

I know they do at the office. I don't know about on the truck, I've always just paid by check at the time services are rendered for a farm call.

Recently my vet has taken to complaining about clients who are late paying his bills...in front of other clients.
    I understand his frustration. As far as whether it was in front of other clients, maybe he was trying to make a point for all to know. Sometimes the only way to get payment from some is through embarrassment. Out people as dead beats.

The problem really is not what the VET takes. Many people try to withhold payment as long as they can.

Credit card, debit card, Paypal payments and even check can be held or stopped. Put that in with people delaying payment to the last minute can cause billing issues. Lets face it, the services are already done and can't be taken back when they are asking for payment.

I have discussed this with a few people that make barn, stable visits, from farriers, to dentists, and to Vets. On told me it got so bad with a client they had to ask for cash before they started. Equine services are a priority for horse owners to get done, payment on the other hand, not so much.

What would you do if the person coming to visit to help your horse asked for cash up front to be there, barn visit charge? Then they gave you an estimate for services to be done. Would you be able to pay up in advance before they started?

Go to pump some gas almost anywhere. You either pay up in advance or they run your debit/credit card before you can pump. Why shouldn't Vets, farriers, dentists or others that provide service expect the same?

As far as my Vet, they send me a bill. I usually pay through my banks bill payment system. It sends Vet a check. I pay my farrier and dentist with cash when ever I can on day the provide service. Check whenever I don't have cash at hand. Farrier usually cashes check same day.

My equine vets practice bills monthly. They accept cash, checks, major credit cards and Care Credit.