The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Tattoo help

I bought a TB mare last year, w/o papers. I'm trying to trace her history. She was a polo pony for a while. I don't think she ever raced but she does have a tattoo. I think it is 42373 or maybe 42378. My trainer thought there was a D at the beginning, but I don't think so, b/c that would make her at least a decade older than we think.

When I bought her, the seller said she might be 8 or 9 (last year). The vet who did her teeth thought her age was 7 this year. She's a bay mare. The only white on her is a tiny bit above her left hind hoof (maybe a half an inch to an inch high above her hoof).

I tried to look her up on the Jockey Club website, but I'm not very practiced. I came up w/ Gimmel or Finch. Can someone take another look? Her lip is very dark. Thanks for reading.

I'm not getting anything for "4237*" looking at 2002-2006 (6 - 10 years old) with those markings...

Any chance another digit is questionable?
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Before my trainer looked, I read 1287 or 1237 but nothing else. I would trust her reading over mine (she's over 70 and is still riding and training ). I'll try to look again more carefully. Thanks for trying, it means a lot to me.

using *42*7* and the markings I got:

I42573 - Katrina Too (coronet and part of pastern white, higher in the back, ermine spots)

G42874 - Southern Socialite (coronet white, lower on outside, ermine spots)

using *12*7* I got:

G12379 - Beautiful Prospect (coronet white, higher in back on the inside of the leg, ermine spots)

F12972 - Stealth Herself (heel white, extending slightly on outside coronet with single black spot on outside)

(again, looked at 2002-2006)
    "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Thanks again for looking.

The letter G would put her about age the age that I was told when I bought her.
    I think the letter F would put her much older (which I really wouldn't like as much).

I'll try to take a picture of her hoof. I won't be out to see her until this weekend. I never really paid attention to the "ermine spots". But I guess I should have. She has a a lot of indentions along her neck on the right sight (I think sometimes they're called thumbprints or something?). I don't know if this would be included in her registration though.

Thanks agains so much. I am really enjoying my mare. I bought her at a time when my OTTB gelding had been diagnosed with EPM and I was still occupied with him so I wasn't paying attention to details (I know that's bad). I mean I still had more emotional attachment to my gelding and wasn't ready to get to attached to my new horse. At least I did a pre-purchase exam on the mare (I didn't on my late gelding).
    I have no papers for this mare so I can't provide her name. My trainer bought her off of an eventing trainer, but doesn't have the specifics on the trainer or my horse's background so I'm trying to piece together her history.
    Last edited by teal tea; Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:40 AM. Reason: more info

Quote Originally Posted by teal tea View Post
    The letter G would put her about age the age that I was told when I bought her.
    I think the letter F would put her much older (which I really wouldn't like as much).
    Not "much older"--only a year. F is 2002. G is 2003.

All cowlicks should be noted in the markings section. Here is the Jockey Club run down on cowlicks. I'd go over the horse with a fine-tooth comb and note all of the cowlicks she's got.

Here is the JC page on leg markings, too.

Beautiful Prospect did not race.

Southern Socialite had three starts in Texas with no winnings.

Katrina Too did not race.

Stealth Herself had 8 starts in Florida and won $1,125.

Based on that, I'd say you've got Southern Socialite.

Ok took some photos on my iPhone but I left my computer at work. I'll try to post some pics of her hoof.

Simkie do you think she's Southern Socialite b/c she raced in Tx? SS and BP seem very much alike. I think my trainer mentioned that the eventing trainer referred to her as Stoppie. Maybe Stoppie was some type of spinoff of Prospect.

The fact your horse has a tattoo suggests that she did race--not 100%, but suggests. That Southern Socialite raced in Texas makes things line up rather well.

Beautiful Prospect was bred in Florida. Sure, she might have gotten out to Texas. But if I had to bet, I'd bet that you have the one that we know was actually IN Texas

This is an easy question to answer, though. Does your horse have white on the outside of the left hind? Or only on the inside? Beautiful Prospect is "except on outside." Southern Socialite is "lower on outside."

Ah, more info. Beautiful Prospect has several foals, the last one in 2009, all foaled in Canada. I think it is EXCEEDINGLY unlikely that the horse you have is Beautiful Prospect, unless the horse you have looks to have been a broodmare for several years and you have info that she recently came down from Canada.

Southern Socialite has no registered TB get.