The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

Default Off-set irons...

... anyone else using them?

For years I have had stirrup balance issues; with my toe forward, I would feel weight on the outside of my foot, and less weight in the medial foot. With the variety of "high tech" irons in the catalogs these days, I think I have not been alone with these issues. Recently, I want to an off-set iron, and I find I am not bothered by my irons nearly as much. I noticed the rider on the cover of the latest Dressage Extensions catalog also appears to be using them. I wish I switched long ago.... I am intrigued by the others out there, like the Stubben double off-set irons. Has anyone else found their riding improved with one or another?

They have a purpose in jumping (the foot is on the inside/stirrups shorter/etc). That purpose is not served in dressage (foot on outside), heel more feathering (less so down, since we are not using them as elastically landing from a fence). So why use offset (ankle) or offset (tilted)??? FOr me the best are the ones like the srs, so they are 90 tot he horse/leather flat to the horse; other than that imho it is developing better equation/doing 2 point if necessary/etc).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

I was intrigued by that picture on the cover of the new Dressage Extensions, because in my mind the stirrups are on backwards, set for jumping, not dressage, and thus bringing the knee/thigh tighter against the flap. The stirrups come with an "R" or "L" marked on the outside, and that is the way she has set them. However, you need to reverse that for dressage so that the slot at the top is on the inside, next to the horse. That way you get the configuration mentioned by Ideayoda, with the foot on the outside and the leather hanging flat. The effect for the rider is to help open the pelvis/thigh and bring the leg more directly under the body, especially if the rider tends to have a chair seat.

Stubben has two models with the offset slot, one with a flat foot pad (seen in the picture mentioned) and the double offsets with a tilted foot pad. I feel the tilted foot pad leads to rigid ankles and possibly potential back problems. The double offsets are in the Dover catalog and in the DE catalog, but you can find the ones with just the offset top on the Stubben North America website.

I have been using the ones with just the slot at the top for five years now. I did a product survey with every high tech stirrup out there at the time. These worked the best for me, even better than the Sprengers, MDCs, and Royal Riders.

I just got a pair of the Stubben Offset Stirrups (not the Double Offsets). I love them.

I can't keep my lower leg on my horse - something in the way my leg anatomy and my horse's girth anatomy that doesn't mesh (didn't have this problem on any other horse). Figured I could either: 1) get a new horse - NO; 2) get a new saddle - still a possibility; or 3) try these stirrups.

Went with the stirrups first. No magic fix but helps immensely.

You can read my full report on my blog: http://yearwithmyhorse.wordpress.com...-is-still-out/

I rode in them a second time after that post and my mind is now made up - I'm keeping them.

I tried riding in the Stubben offset eye stirrups ONCE and I didn't last more than 20 minutes, they made my knees hurt! Never felt anything like it before or since. I did have them with the offset eyes away from the horse, not too, so perhaps I wore them backwards. I do not remember a R/L marking, but I didn't look too hard either. I sold the the next day, they were beyond painful.

Did not like my MDCs or jointed irons either. After all the fancy irons I've found I prefer a plain fillis, but I do like a stirrup eye that is turned 90° so the stirrup lays flat against the saddle. The only irons I have like that are "icelandic" irons that have the safety bend. I like them, but oddly I miss the feeling of the outside branch of the stirrup and it takes a couple rides for me to stop "searching" for the outside branch.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

North of the Frozen Tundra, but I can see it from my house.

I went from off-set to the Stubben double off-set, and I love them. In regular irons, I was finding the outside of my foot contacted the irons much more firmly than the inside of my foot. With the off-set I rarely thought about my stirrup, and in the double offset, this is even better.

I am not suggesting this is the solution for everyone's riding. However, if you have struggled with your conventional irons, you may want to give it a try.

Any opinions on offset eye stirrups? Seems like it'd be easier to keep your foot in place as you're not going against the way the stirrup leather lays..

I'm riding in the Icelandic, offset eye safety-style stirrups, and my hips and knees and ankles are thanking me, profusely.

Particularly as I have to ride with my leathers under the saddle flap to avoid further injuring the fragile skin on my damaged leg. It leaves very little turning space for the leathers below the flap and that was putting a huge strain on my joints.

Hey, I'm old, I'm back to riding after a major injury. I have nothing to prove by cranking my limbs into shapes they do not enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by cadance View Post
    Any opinions on offset eye stirrups? Seems like it'd be easier to keep your foot in place as you're not going against the way the stirrup leather lays..
    I recently got a pair for my dressage saddle. I've only ridden with them a few times, but already like them a lot.

I have a pair of stirrups with the offset eyes that I bought because I was having substantial knee pain during riding. It started up after I tore my ACL. My knee would throb while mounted and drop me all together when I hopped off. This was after most of a year of PT.

The offset irons worked miracles for my injured knee and didn't seem to bother the "good" knee at all. I had been considering riding offset on one leg and normal on the other but it wasn't necessary.

So I don't know whether they'd help someone with position problems but they certainly helped me coming back from a knee injury.