The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Would You Send It Back?

I ordered my first new helmet in years and was excited to have it arrive. It came from a large and rather popular catalog/website and it came today just in time for my Tuesday ride. After my ride I noticed that the date of manufacture on the helmet is over two years ago. Now, I'm under the impression that helmets should be replaced every 5 years from the date of manufacture. I know I may sound nit picky but I paid nearly $250 for this thing and want to get as much time out of it as possible. My question is - would you send it back or try to get a prorated partial refund?

yes, I would absolutely send it back. They will probably be understanding. Im not sure if they would prorate it but you could ask.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

I would look at your warranty, but probably send it back.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

you really need to replace your helmet every 5 years? I had never heard that before.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

Well... how often do you fall off? Me, I don't worry too much about the 5 year rule because I never have a helmet come close to lasting that long. But yeah, for a $$$ helmet, I'd want more than 3 years out of it. Contact the company and explain, asking what they can do to resolve it. (I prefer the "here is my problem, how can we fix it" approach to the "this is what's wrong, this is how you have to make it up to me" approach. I've tried writing "I want this or this or this done", but it always makes me feel like I'm trying to take advantage of the situation. So I make it clear that I'm not happy, but that I'm open to suggestions for a resolution.) (Am I analyzing the problem resolution to death?)
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Well... how often do you fall off?
    I don't fall off... ever. My self-preservation skills are top notch. But that said, both my horse and I are fat and miserably out of shape, so we've been plodding around at walk-trot so the risk of falling is minimal. Sadly, this minimalist form of riding makes my legs feel like jello.

I called them and returned it. I'm doing an even exchange for another one. I mentioned the date thing and they didn't even blink an eye at it. It will be interesting to see what the manufacture date on the replacement is. Fingers crossed third time will be the charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
    I don't fall off... ever. My self-preservation skills are top notch.
    You have now jinxed yourself. Please report back with the story

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

I was just thinking that! Last fall I was riding my trainer's horse, who I had been riding for a few months and thinking about my helmet needing to be replaced. I thought to myself 'yeah, this one will last through the replacement period because this mare is so nice, I won't fall off of her.' We went cross country schooling, there was a set of flags and I was trying to figure out what was supposed to be between them while she was checking out the scenery. Turns out they put a little faux ditch there that spooked both of us and off I came!

This is so true! I abide by the jinxing philosophy myself and really never talk about how long it has been since I have fallen off (unless it JUST happened very recently). Anyway, about two months ago I was getting bold and finally started answering when people asked me the last time I had fallen off. The answer WAS "more than 10 years ago." Long story short, the answer is now "about two months ago." LOL.

I'm due for a fall - this I know. But I ride ploddy old horses and am perfectly happy doing that. I feel safe and while that may be a false sense of security, that works for me! There's part of me that would love to go back to jumping and eventing, but then I'm having a nice leisurely walk on my pony and all the other stuff seems like so much work. Hell, I struggle with the posting trot and find it just so much easier to sit it. That's the level of my laziness at this moment in time. So, thus my theory of why "I don't fall." Denial is delightful.

Denial is delightful.
    I think this is one of the best lines I have seen on COTH.

Murphy's law corollary...the Unspeakable Law:

When a thing is talked about: if it is bad it will happen. If it is good it will go away.

LOL I thought the same thing!

SF glad they are swapping for you. Which reminds me, I need to order a new helmet....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Denial is delightful.
    would you mind if I put this as my sig line?

Quote Originally Posted by jump4me View Post
    would you mind if I put this as my sig line?
    No problem.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Well... how often do you fall off?
    Yeah, I probably wouldn't send it back because I tend to land on my helmets every couple of years anyhow

But then again, for that same reason I always try to buy the cheapest approved helmet that fits properly.

If I fell off less and spent more on a helmet, I'd probably have asked for a "fresh" one, too.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Quote Originally Posted by Wayside View Post
    I always try to buy the cheapest approved helmet that fits properly.
    I wish I could buy a cheap helmet but none of them fit my very slender, very pointy, very long oval head. Even those that are more oval than others tend to be tight front to back and gap on the sides. And I've had a problem with helmets not being deep enough. So, because of my conformation, I'm stuck paying more for a helmet than others. I'm like my $500 mare that requires a $3500 custom made saddle to fit her huge shoulder and dippy back.

I bought a CO Welly Pro helmet during SmartPak's helmet sale last summer and was put out to find that it had been manufactured 15 months earlier. Seeing as SP's customer service is legendary, I called them up and asked them what they could do about it. They offered to swap it for a new one but, given that I do tend to use helmets for their inteded use (protecting my noggin when it interacts with terra firma ), I asked them if they would prorate the cost of the helmet instead. The money was back on my credit card in 30 seconds and I was happy!
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluehorsesjp View Post
    you really need to replace your helmet every 5 years? I had never heard that before.
    Every 5 years from the date of manufacture, or after a fall. Whichever comes first.

I recently got a new Tipperary Sportage from SmartPak. Guess I better check the manufacture date, just in case!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

No problem.
    Thank you! I love it!