The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Feline Hyperesthesia

I compared my cats 'symptoms' to the 'symptoms' of Feline Hyperesthesia and they match up pretty well.

Cat has these symptoms:
    1. Hallucinating
    2. Skin rippling/rolling
    3. Large pupils/strange look to the eyes
    4. Sudden bouts of bizarre hyperactive or aggressive behavior
    5. Tail swishing

I've read that it is stress-induced and I know she has been stressing out a lot since they began construction next door. The house shakes quite hard at times with those big tractors rolling by.

It says that oriental breeds are most affected. Her mother was a Siamese.

Anyone ever dealt with this or something similar? Does it just go away or will I have to give my cat meds for the rest of her life? Or am I left facing the same thing I faced last week?
    Last edited by PinkMartini; Apr. 10, 2012 at 09:22 PM.
    I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

It's been a long day, so I apologize if I missed it but did you have a question? I have a cat who has symptoms of this as well, although his seems to be more related to his Corona virus infection. True feline hyperesthesia can be exercabated by stress but is similar to epilepsy, in that it is always there, just varying in severity an frequency of attacks
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Quote Originally Posted by Horsegal984 View Post
    It's been a long day, so I apologize if I missed it but did you have a question? I have a cat who has symptoms of this as well, although his seems to be more related to his Corona virus infection. True feline hyperesthesia can be exercabated by stress but is similar to epilepsy, in that it is always there, just varying in severity an frequency of attacks
    Sorry, I guess I left it out. I was meaning to ask had anyone ever delt with it or anything similar.

This was an over night thing. It JUST started last night, so I'm freaking out. I JUST put my dog down and now having to deal with issues with the cat. I'm just starting to fall apart.
    I walk into the barn and hear her soothing nicker, feel her soft muzzle against my cheek, her warm breath on my skin, and it is at that moment I realize there is no where else I would rather be.

I have three cats that have these symptoms- they are all littermates. Two live with me and one lives with my sister. I moved in December and they have become AWFUL to live with since then. I have to basically separate them from my two female cats and rotate the two sets of cats because the aggression has gotten out of control. I am interested in any solutions is anyone has any. I have noticed that they're worse when not stimulated enough ie when I'm gone from home for long periods of time. I'm hoping increased playtime with a laser will help alleviate some of the aggression to the point where we can all live in harmony together again.

The cats I have seen treated are treated with Gabapentin and most seem to do well. We have another dr in our practice who will make house calls to help with the enviromental factors in the home. I have never gone with her, so not sure what she does. A neuro exam will confirm your suspicions and help get treatment started.

Treatment can be pretty straighforward, it's just a matter of finding out which medication works best for each cat. Most cats are started on gabapentin after being positively diagnosed by a neurologist. Occasionally cats do not respond well to gabapentin and can be changed to another medication (sometimes Lyrica).

Just to be clear, this is one of these syndromes that has very generic symptoms which also can be related to many other medical/behavioral problems too. It is very important to spend the money to see a neurologist in order to get a confirmed diagnosis.

I would be surprised to find 3 cats in one house all affected, even if they are all littermates. Intracat aggression can be caused by LOTS of factors, with feline hyperesthesia being least likely
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!