The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Turn out question- Matching metals?

I am going to be showing my Mini in an ADS carriage driving show next month.The show has Turn out, Dressage, Working, Cones, Gamblers and a Mini Marathon. I will be showing in my black metal cart with black metals wheels. My harness is black leather with brass hardware and gold trim. The cart is all black except the nuts (no Hubs) for the wheels they are steel/ silver.

Should I try to find brass nuts for the turnout class?
    I am not sure how safe brass nuts will be for cones etc.
    Should I just paint the steel nuts gold?
    Thanks

Paint the non-matching metals. Brass nuts would be less safe, because it is a weak metal in being softer than steel. Put a can of black spray paint in your show box for touch-ups.

We painted the brass on a couple carriages, so that it didn't contrast with the stainless steel harness hardware. I hate brass polishing, so I was cheering after the painting was done! And the carriages look NICE.

Bits are considered "neutral", so silver color bits are fine with brass harness. Brass bits are NOT traditional, and being soft, they crack, fracture and break more easily than steel. The brass oxidizing rubs off on your animal's mouth, a bad thing. Don't buy brass bits to be "matchy-matchy" with your harness.

Good luck at the show.

You can paint them if you want, but I wouldn't worry about them. Your turnout is going to be based on cleanliness, fit of equine to vehicle, fit of driver to vehicle, and appropriate harness to vehicle.

Just try to make everything - harness and cart - gleam like the sun, groom your pony to absolute perfection, wear your gloves, apron/laprobe, have the proper whip in your hand, ....and smile like you mean it.

You'll be fabulous!

i vote spray paint the nuts and bolts! It can make an average vehicle look SOOO much classier or sporty, whichever look you are going for. I painted all nuts, bolts, and hubs on my marathon carriage, looks super. I had a mini cart that had all stainless nuts/bolts, looked tacky, spray paint, and viola, nice sporty looking vehicle.

I'll likely be spray painting all the nuts/bolts and hubs on my Frey Sprint cart too... My pony harness is stainless, but my cob harness for my large pony is brass... So then i dont have to worry what harness goes to it, it will still look good.

I actually think black hubs look really nice on most vehicles. I keep spray paint as a staple in my trailer now, and will only ever buy black vehicles! I dont care how good the paint job on them, they chip and scratch, it's so much easier to hit the bad spot with a quick spray than try to match paint and fill the spot in otherwise.

Don't paint them gold, paint them black.

I agree with Goodhors, paint the silver nuts black to match the rest of the cart. As an ADS judge your metals should match in the turnout class. The rule book even states this. That said, depending on how big the show is or I should say how many competitors there are in your class it may or may not make a difference in the placing of the class. At big shows (one with more the 15 entries) in a class your metals should match for sure! All the way to your jewlery and buckles on your shoes! But at a smaller show it probably won't be that important!

Most important thing is that everthing is clean! SO many times I see entires at the shows, all levels of shows and all levels of entires, that aren't even clean!

And of course HAVE FUN!

By entire, what do you mean? I always think of stallions when I hear the word "entire" used with horsey things, but I could be way off base there. Thanks.

Turnout class can be daunting at some levels!! Coaching turnout makes my head spin with the MANY, and often obscure details!!

sts meant to say "entries".

I'm going to have to take a look at those ADS rules. I'm a CAA person, and my understanding has always been the metals on the harness should match each other, and (technically) the rein rail of the vehicle. Hub nuts have NEVER been included in that mix. Ever.

I've done several years of the coaching at Devon in the past - as a groom and (other years) passenger of my 4-in-hand acquaintances, and many, many CAA turnout classes. One year (in the late 80's - I know because I was prego at the time) while grooming for one of our friend's coach in Devon's Sunday marathon, said friend (who was the whip) got knocked down in the ribbons because...are you ready for this...his new glasses were those that darkened out in the sun. It was a super sunny day, and the photos made him look like he was wearing sunglasses. We were told later he would have placed 2 places higher...except for the glasses.

We placed 5th out of 8. Which means we might have taken home 3rd. Except for those glasses. Isn't that something?

Lol! Oops... yes I definitely meant to say entries! And I checked in my new 2012 ADS rulebook, and yes I can only find a rule that all fittings on the harness should match! So no real rule on the vehicle fittings matching the harness hardware. The hubs on most antique vehicles are brass, so is the fittings on most formal harness. I don't think that the original entry discussed would be marked down drastically for having silver nuts on the hubs of her vehicle, BUT it's all the opinion of the judge so better safe then sorry, and paint them black... in my opinion.

Thanks for clearing that up! I never considered that it might be a misspelled word!

I was thinking in a whole different direction with the word "entire", to horses standing in a lineup. Maybe relaxed stallions/geldings dropping down while being judged, not as clean as they could be, and going "Wow, THAT IS PICKY!"