The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default 2012 John Smith’s Grand National at Aintree

The famed race goes off this Saturday in England ....

The 2012 John Smith’s Grand National is now just four days away and at present it will be 48 horses going forward run over four and half miles and 30 fences.

This year’s race is due off at 4.15pm on Saturday, April 14, and boasts record prize money of £975,000, making it Britain’s richest jump contest by far.

Heading the weights on 11st 10lb is last month’s Betfred Cheltenham Gold Cup hero Synchronised. If successful on Saturday, the Jonjo O’Neill-trained nine-year-old would become only the second horse to complete the Gold Cup/Grand National double in the same year after Golden Miller in the 1934.
    From Synchronised's jock - Tony McCoy:

"It's what makes racing," McCoy says, "chasing down the impossible. No horse has won a Gold Cup and a Grand National in 78 years. The last horse to do it was Golden Miller in 1934. That's a huge pull for me. You could take the easy option and not run him. But you've got to try and do things that people haven't done before – or haven't done in a very long time. We're going to give it a right good go."
    With the significant number of fallers in recent years , as one would expect, Aintree aims for a safer race.

1. Those in charge of British horse racing believe this will be the strongest field ever assembled to run the Grand National. In fact, many feel the alteration to entry requirements is by far the most significant change to the race.

2. The area where horses land after Becher's Brook has been levelled out, and similar work has been done after the first fence. But only the fourth fence has actually been lowered, and that by just two inches to 4ft 10ins.

3. The authorities are extremely keen to avoid the chaotic scenes which followed last year's race.

On an unusually hot day, many of the horses were in urgent need of cooling, yet television pictures showed buckets of water being flung in a seemingly haphazard way.

This year at Aintree there is a new cooling down area just off the course which horses can use before being led back to the parade ring.
    Does anyone know if they will be airing the race live on tv in the US? HRTV, TVG, BBC America?

There is, by the way, and American-owned runner in this year's field although the horse is stabled in Ireland 2010 & 2011 NSA leading owner Irv Naylor will have his runner Alfa Beat in the field:

Alfa Beat is listed at 33-1 by Paddy Power bookmakers among a full field of 40 (with eight exclusions). The 8-year-old comes in off two sub-par efforts this year; he unseated his rider in a handicap hurdle in late January and was pulled up in the Grade 2 Bobbyjo Chase at Fairyhouse in late February.

Naylor purchased Alfa Beat for £75,000 at the Doncaster Sales last spring with eyes on the Grand National. Now trained in Ireland by John “Shark” Hanlon, the gray gelding is sixth in the handicap at 159 pounds. Hanlon has yet to name a jockey.

Favorite Synchronised, bidding for a sweep of the Cheltenham Gold Cup and Grand National, carries 164. Entries for the race – worth nearly £1 million – close Thursday.

I read somewhere (sorry can't find a link) that TVG will be airing it, coverage starting at 11am EST

Quote Originally Posted by Amyy View Post
    I read somewhere (sorry can't find a link) that TVG will be airing it, coverage starting at 11am EST
    You're right. Just did a search on Dish Network, and it states 2012 Grand National from Aintree - 11am - 12pm Saturday (EST) on TVG.

And thanks GG for the reminder!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Thanks Amyy and CVPeg for the TVG reference as a quick google search shows the same:

Jimmy Duggan's community post on TVG's site

Join me at 8am PT / 11am ET for live TVG coverage on Saturday April 14th for this AMAZING Race.
    And contrary to my initial post the field size is limited to 40-runners (not 48) with the final entries determined Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by CVPeg View Post
    You're right. Just did a search on Dish Network, and it states 2012 Grand National from Aintree - 11am - 12pm Saturday (EST) on TVG.

And thanks GG for the reminder!
    LOL - Dish Network was the best Valentine's gift I ever received! It's the gift that truly keeps on giving Thank Goodness for the DVR feature! Woo Hoo!
    Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Mali View Post
    LOL - Dish Network was the best Valentine's gift I ever received! It's the gift that truly keeps on giving Thank Goodness for the DVR feature! Woo Hoo!
    I know - I love having HRTV & TVG. In a very wintry area, it's been really reliable - just have to sometimes brush the snow off - have rigged up a 15' collapsible broom just for the purpose!

There is one problem, however, they still can't get on the same page with the YES Network - no Yankees games unless they're on the game of the week, or other big network coverage. But I'll choose HRTV over seeing every Yankees game.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

For those of us without TVG or Dish Network , a live stream I've found is:
    http://www.venturetv.me/channelbbc2.php
    Last edited by Lcsd114; Apr. 12, 2012 at 09:47 AM. Reason: Dyslexia hits :)
    Member of Book Worms Clique and proud member of INCREDIBLE INVISIBLES.
    Mr Wigglebottom 1999-2010. Once in a lifetime cat. Much loved, much missed.

From today's (4/12) Wall Street Journal - article & video:

Why They Fear Aintree's First: Maybe Not the Grand National's Toughest Fence, But It Claims Most Fallers

(excerpt)

The first fence doesn't look especially imposing. Standing just 4-foot-6 tall, it's one of the smallest on the course and benefits from a long run-in. But according to an exhaustive study conducted by researchers from the University of Liverpool, it's the most likely to cause mayhem on Saturday.

According to Chris Proudman, a professor of equine studies at the University of Liverpool's Equine Hospital, the first fence is statistically the most hazardous in the entire race.

Horses are seven times more likely to fall at the first, he says, than at a standard fence on another part of the racetrack.

For reasons that range from the speed at which runners approach to the style of the fences at Aintree, history suggests one of the surest bets in this long-odds race is that someone's race will be ended at the first hurdle.
    But even those who are accustomed to the Aintree course aren't immune to flopping at the first hurdle. Bob Champion won the 1981 Grand National on Aldaniti, but their attempt at a repeat was ended at the first fence the following year. In 1985, Hallo Dandy became another defending champion to suffer a first-fence exit, while Mick Fitzgerald fell at the first in the 1995 Grand National before winning on Rough Quest 12 months later.

"I rode the Grand National 15 times and won it twice," said Carl Llewellyn, who was inducted into the Grand National Legends Hall of Fame this year. "But people never let me forget about the one time I fell at the first."

As an aside during the Aintree Festival today - Thursday 4/12 - there was a remarkable feat:

Telegraph: "Big Buck's wins 17th straight jumps race on first day of Aintree Festival"

The French-bred horse, ridden by Ruby Walsh and trained by Paul Nicholls, won the 3-mile race by seven lengths. Britain's leading horse racing guide, The Racing Post, said Big Buck's broke the 59-year world record he held jointly with Sir Ken, who ran in the 1950s.

"Each win is very precious, but obviously to do 17 and go into the record books is very precious to us," owner Andy Stewart said.

Nine-year-old Big Buck's hasn't lost since switching from racing over the bigger fences to the hurdles at the start of 2009, confirming his status as one of the greatest long-distance jumps horses of all time.

Somewhat like the Kentucky Derby (this year) there is an AE list beyond the 40 entries. There are four reserves were declared - the first reserve being Any Currency followed by Our Island, Abbeybraney and Smoking Aces. They have until 9am GMT on Friday morning to move into the field if one of the 40 is withdrawn.

How big is the Grand National in terms of wagering? More than £300million is expected to be bet on the race. That makes it far, far larger than the Kentucky Derby with wagering - 2011 All-sources wagering on the Kentucky Derby card was $165.2 million; the third-highest in Derby with wagering.

What about the success of favorites (by lowest odds) in the last few years?

Year Grand National favorite (odds) Result
    2011 The Midnight Club (15/2) ... 6th
    2010 Don't Push It / Big Fella Thanks (10/1) ... WON / 4th
    2009 Butler's Cabin (7/1) ... 7th
    2008 Comply or Die / Cloudy Lane (7/1) ... WON / 6th
    2007 Point Barrow / Joe's Edge / Monkerhostin (8/1) ...
    (respectively) Fell at 1st / Pulled-up at 20th / Refused 7th

2006 Hedgehunter / Clan Royal (5/1) ... 2nd / 3rd
    2005 Hedgehunter (7/1) ... WON
    2004 Clan Royal / Bindaree / Joss Naylor / Jurancon II (10/1) ...
    (respectively) 2nd / Unseated at 6th / Pulled-up before 19th / Fell at 4th

2003 Shotgun Willy (7/1) ... Pulled-up after 21st
    2002 Blowing Wind (8/1) ... 3rd
    2001 Edmond / Inis Cara / Moral Support (10/1) ...
    (respectively) Fell at the chair (15th) / Fell at 4th / Refused Canal Turn (8th)

2000 Dark Stranger (9/1) ... Unseated rider at 3rd

I just watched "The Foxhunter Chase" Great racing.

http://horses.sportinglife.com/Video...L_RG_Navlink_8
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

Two days of impressive racing so far,tomorrow's the big one.
    (Bumping so I don't have to scroll so far to find the link to the video...)
    madeline
    * What you release is what you teach * Don't be distracted by unwanted behavior* Whoever waits the longest is the teacher. Van Hargis

Ironic that the merseyside clubs Liverpool and Everton would meet in the FA Cup semi final on the same day as the Grand National, but game being played 180 miles away in London.
    Attendance at Wembley is close to 90k. Wonder if that will affect attendance at Aintree.

Default Thanks for the link

Due to an unforseen horror show yesterday, my Dish is out. Repairman is supposedly on the way. I have the link to Venture, but it keeps popping out. My computer is also trying in vain to reload an old program in the middle of this, and it makes for some uneasy viewing. Is there a trick to keeping the stream going?
    Another killer of threads

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    Due to an unforseen horror show yesterday, my Dish is out. Repairman is supposedly on the way. I have the link to Venture, but it keeps popping out. My computer is also trying in vain to reload an old program in the middle of this, and it makes for some uneasy viewing. Is there a trick to keeping the stream going?
    try this
    http://www.venturetv.me/channel1.php

Default Thanks

It is working but my so called 'high speed' internet keeps reloading, and I cannot see it in the full screen. But it is working. Thanks a lot.
    Also, since you know so much about Brit racing, who do you think will win?
    Another killer of threads

Heavy fall for Ruby on Zarkandar in the Aintree Hurdle, horse landed on top of him. He's up and walking now, but he has to be pretty sore after that.
    Great finish to that race, Oscar Whiskey just holding off thousand Stars in a almost exact replica of last year's result.

Quote Originally Posted by Larksmom View Post
    It is working but my so called 'high speed' internet keeps reloading, and I cannot see it in the full screen. But it is working. Thanks a lot.
    You can also try any of the ADWs, like twinspires.com. You will have to sign up. They will be carrying the RacingUK feed, not the BBC feed, but the quality us usually good.

Also, since you know so much about Brit racing, who do you think will win?
    It's the Grand National... 40 runner handicap, 24lb weight spread, over 30 massive fences and a 4 1/2 mile slog with loads of loose horses running around. In other words it's a complete lottery!!

Will be cheering on Becauseicouldntsee, and think he might be worth and e/w bet.

Would love to see Synchronized do the double, and hats of to JP and Jonjo for the sporting gesture of trying it. Very unusual to see that these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Drvmb1ggl3 View Post
    Heavy fall for Ruby on Zarkandar in the Aintree Hurdle, horse landed on top of him. He's up and walking now, but he has to be pretty sore after that.
    Ruby Walsh has been stood down by stewards/doctors and ruled out of Grand National after that fall. He has got to be devastated.

His sister Katie still rides, on board Seabass trained by Ruby and Katie's father, Ted Walsh.