The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Spinoff:Pursuing contact info of new owners-horse I rode for a year

This is a spin-off from the dressage thread about loving a horse that did not belong to you.

I don't want to go so far as to say that I was 'in love' with this mare, however, I spent the better part of a year as her only rider developing her, she was the only horse I was riding at the time, and we both improved dramatically together. I would consider her 'my first horse' (I'm 23) even though I didn't own her. She ended up being sold as the owner got out of horses. She went to a local trainer to be sold, who took her out of country to be sold.

I found her ad, and she's been sold.

I would love to have the opportunity to be in touch with her new owner, and periodically hear about how she's doing.

Is this appropriate or am I being a total PITA to the new owner? I would have to contact the selling agent.

Is it one of those situations where the worst thing that can happen is I am told no?

This is the website I came across with her being listed as sold, just in case anyone knows these ladies, or recently purchased a horse from them

http://www.svshorsesales.com/index.html
    Last edited by RedRogue; Apr. 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM.

I certainly would not want some one who just rode a horse I bought to want to have a say in my care of my horse. I'm sorry, but I think you need to move on. If you want to be a part of a horses' life buy the horse, but after the horse is sold go find another horse to ride and care for.

I would consider you a problem if I bought that horse. Just saying...

I couldn't afford the horse, but did buy another.
    I would just love to see what she accomplishes (maybe an e-mail once a year at the end of the season). I assume she is in good care, she is an exceptionally nice mare. I wouldn't be trying to influence anything along those lines.

I do appreciate your input, and can see that perspective. Which is why I am asking. Personally as an owner I would be open to communicating with someone from the horses past to some degree, but I don't know what is normal.

I would like to hear some more input on the matter, personal preferences, experiences etc.

I wouldn't have a problem with it. It's always nice to know your horses history.

If you're nice about it I don't think it could hurt to ask. If they don't respond, or if they say they don't want to keep in contact, though, I think you have to respect that.

Thanks, I have been involved with the horse to some degree since she was a weanling, and have some knowledge of most of her past, so yes, I could offer that, along with pictures etc, if they were interested.
    The mare has only been under saddle about 2 years.

Also, I have access to her coming two year old filly, if they wanted to see pictures of her offspring.

Fingers crossed, I guess.

It wouldn't bother me at all...I would like knowing more about my horse's history & would be happy to know that someone loved her before I came along. Now, if someone was trying to influence decisions about her care or training, that would bother me.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Xctrygirl here on COTH rode my guy for a bit and was kind enough to send me some photos and video. I thought that was great! It never hurts to ask politely, say you'd gotten her number from XYZ, you had some photos, would they like to see them, and open the door that way.

I would think it a little unconventional for you as a former rider but not owner to want periodic updates on a horse when you don't have a relationship with the current owners, but that's something to assess when you talk to them. It doesn't bug me, because I love to run my mouth about my guy; others' mileage may vary.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

It couldn't hurt to contact them. If they don't want to contact you, they won't. But they might like to hear your experience with her.
    I used to work as a groom and I got really attached to a couple of the horses I looked after. When i left that job I had to leave one of them behind and he was later sold. I made contact with the new owners and they were really happy to here about the horse's backround (he was very quirky) and they were really nice about letting me know how he was doing from time to time. Then one day they called me to see if I wanted him since he was ready to retire. To make a long story short, I had him for the last 7 years of his life. It was a dream come true for me to have him as my own.

If I owned the mare I'd love to hear from you and hear some of her history.

Sadly, not everyone wants to keep in touch with previous owners/riders. I sold a youngster I'd had for several years (bought after he was backed and put a ton of training into him); sent a nice note to the new owners with all of his papers, medical records etc and said I'd love to hear from you every now and then... nothing But that's OK, he's their horse, just a little disappointing for me.

I do give updates and send pics to my horses' previous owners.

Quote Originally Posted by ser42 View Post

I do give updates and send pics to my horses' previous owners.
    I do too - I send regular horse show updates to both my horse's breeder and the trainer who I bought her from. Her breeder also sent me a whole dvd of baby pictures and videos of her, which is so much fun to have.
    "A canter is the cure for every evil."

12 years later I STILL give updates to my horses previous owner.. and we have also become friends from a far

I would LOVE updates from anyone who knew my horses before!

I see nothing wrong with it at all. I leased a horse for 3 years 7 years ago and found her new owners while googling her name a couple of years ago. I love seeing her updates and I was able to fill in a lot of holes for her new owner because I knew her breeder. Definitely a win-win situation.

I can also speak from the other side because we often have people who work for us who fall in love with horses that get sold. In situations where someone wants the contact info of a horse we have sold, we will not give away the buyers information. Instead we will send whoever bought the horse an email with the person wanting to contact them's information so they can contact them if they wish.
    Southern Cross Guest Ranch
    An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    I certainly would not want some one who just rode a horse I bought to want to have a say in my care of my horse. I'm sorry, but I think you need to move on. If you want to be a part of a horses' life buy the horse, but after the horse is sold go find another horse to ride and care for.

So, I'm pretty sure she didn't say anything about wanting a say in the care of the horse. How is this implied?

I think it's worth contacting them. I would find it sweet as long as you aren't wanting to take it too far and become annoying. It's no big deal sending out an extra email now and then to someone who wants to keep tabs on a horse.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post

Not really seeing where OP is trying to have a say in the care of the horse. Just politely inquiring about how it is doing.

OP, just be a polite human being about it and see what happens. Maybe they will be fine with it and maybe they will be not ok and obnoxiously rude to boot.

Be nice and respectful from your end and don't take their reaction personally if it is negative. You can only control how politely you ask, not how they respond.

In all likelihood if they are normal horse people they will not be hugely offended and may even enjoy the opportunity to talk about their own horse with someone who "knew her when."

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I very much doubt the selling agent will give you the buyer's contact info. As a buyer, to be honest I would not want my information provided willy nilly to anyone who happened to ask for it. Not everyone is as polite as the OP seems to be, after all. I once had a former owner absolutely harass me for information for years after I'd purchased a horse and it was a total PITA though, so maybe that has made me somewhat biased.

Anyway, if you are intent on reaching out, I'd suggest offering YOUR contact info to the agent with a polite request to pass it along to the new owners, who can contact you if they wish to. I'd make it very clear that you would just like to know how the horse is doing - nothing wrong with giving it a shot.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

I just updated (via email or FB, we usually don't talk) my horse's breeder. I bought Petey as a weanling and he is now 9 years old. We both enjoy the contact.

My suggestion would be to search for them on FB and send them a Friend request with a note as to who you are. You can include that you have pictures of her 2 year old.

If they are *normal* horse owners they will probably be posting pictures of her successes, which you will be able to see.

Which horse is she on the SOLD page?
    "Dyslexics Untie!"

I've tried to contact the former owners and breeder's of some of my horses, but have been unsuccessful.

So it works both ways. I would love to hear from CLoudy's Deutsche breeder. As well as from the breeder of my TB mare in KY. (Breeder and mare both deceased now.)

I'd love to see pictures of my boy when he was a foal. I don't feel threatened by people who knew my horses at other barns wanting to come visit them. Kids who are now in college still come up to me and say they love Cloudy. Hmm I should contact Hattie's breeder in Minnesota since we've had her for 10 months now.

I agree with the others who state that it is acceptable to inquire about how the horse is doing but to not be offended if those new owner's choose to remain private.

I always send photos and videos of my mare to the breeder/previous owner. She has even come out to ride her since she was not backed when I purchased her.
    Mind you she is a small breeder and one of her request upon sale was to stay in touch.

I loved that fact that she wanted to stay in touch and I love hearing the stories of what she was like when she was a foal.
    She even sends me photos as she finds them of when she was born.

The groom at the race track where I got my OTTB was in love with my guy...she cried when I picked him up - tears of joy that he was going to a good home and tears of pain because she wouldn't get to see her special guy anymore. I told her she was more than welcome to stop by to see him whenever...and she did. I still keep her updated. She loved him, but couldn't afford a horse. I gladly update her. When we still lived close, I had her come out to ride him when she could. I don't see any problem with contacting someone about a horse you used to know.