The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Unhappy Can anyone offer me some Ebay help? Horse item sold...and...

So about 5 weeks ago, I sold a riding outfit to someone in Germany.

Today I get an email saying it has yet to arrive.

The shipping option they chose was the cheapest method, which was surface international and said it would take up to 4-6 weeks to arrive.

I'm really, really hoping I'm not going to get scammed here. I've heard horror stories of people saying they haven't gotten an item (even if they have) and Ebay refunding their money no matter what the seller says.

If I am, is there anything I can do? Yikes!!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

That does happen, there really isn't anything you can do unless you put a tracking number on the shipment.

In future that might be a good idea. Hope it arrives soon!
    "For some people it's not enough to just be a horse's bum, you have to be sea biscuit's bum" -anon.
    Nes' Farm Blog ~ DesigNes.ca
    Need You Now Equine

Your horror happened to me with a $500 saddle. Person said it never arrived even though the Post Office confirmed its arrival. eBay ended up refunding her the money so I am out the money and the saddle. That was last year right before Christmas. Merry Christmas to me.

Anyway, I hope you put tracking on yours, even though I had tracking on mine and eBay still sided with the "buyer."
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Those are the reasons I will never, ever, sell anything there.

I will buy. But I will not open myself to that kind of one-sided treatment by someone whose freight I am paying.

Similar thing happened to me. Sold a very nice French close contact saddle to a woman up North, so it should have taken about 2-3 days to arrive, tops. I had a printout that said the carrier picked it up at my house for delivery. USPS website said that it hadn't been received by the main hub. Buyer started getting worried and then filed a claim. Even though I had proof that I shipped the saddle, I still had Ebay force me to refund the money, including shipping (and I was out the fees that Ebay takes from the sale), and the d@mn saddle showed up a month later, having been mistakenly shipped to somewhere else. Luckily, the buyer was honest and shipped it back to AT MY EXPENSE but I still lost the sale.

That said, however, i have sold many saddles and other items through Ebay and this is the first time it's ever happened to me. Get it insured, get tracking numbers, pay for signature on delivery. CYA.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

I've had two incidents recently. One buyer claimed she never recieved the item. t was only a $15 item so it wasn't horrendous. I'm still fuming about the second though. A buyer in HongKong didn't pay so filed a non payng bidder report. He paid and I shipped the item. He says it's damaged and I will be stuck refunding about $60 when it arrives.

I no longer ship items without trackng
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Yikes. This seems more common that I had thought. I'm hoping that this person is honest and just emailed to see if I knew where it is. Fingers crossed it arrives and all is well!
    __________________________________________________ _
    Proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals!

Ack! That's awful. Unless you insist that something be insured, and pay for tracking the package, it's hard to tell if the item was lost in shipment or if you are being ripped off.

I bought a French saddle from a German seller on ebay. He said up front that shipping via fedex with insurance was the only way to go. I paid extra for that of course. Then fedex delivered it to some people down the road. But they were honest & called fedex to come back and get the saddle. Altho fedex then took the saddle back to the airport and I had to go there to pick it up. Fedex had to drive right by my house to pick it up and take it back to their office.

I guess sometimes the extra cost of fedex or ups with insurance would add so much to the sale that people might not buy the item. But it protects both the seller and the buyer.

You just cannot rely on anyone to tell you that they received the items you send now. I sent a Texas horse rescue an expensive turnout and insured it but didn't track it. I kept asking if it was received and got no reply. So I said OK, I'm claiming the insurance. Then the rescue owner admitted she'd received the turnout.

Sorry this happened to you. I've been lucky as a purchaser, not a seller, on ebay with very honest sellers who always sent their wares to me. And I have heard how ebay is so hard on sellers now.

ETA I buy my horse's eye meds from Turkey in bulk, and altho it takes a long time as they are shipped via camel or something, they always arrive in a few weeks. I am really impressed by ebay sellers who always deliver.
    Except now with the recent earthquake, I don't see my 2 sellers of eye meds on ebay. I hope they survived the earthquake in Turkey.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    <SNIP>
    I guess sometimes the extra cost of fedex or ups with insurance would add so much to the sale that people might not buy the item. But it protects both the seller and the buyer.

You just cannot rely on anyone to tell you that they received the items you send now. I sent a Texas horse rescue an expensive turnout and insured it but didn't track it. I kept asking if it was received and got no reply. So I said OK, I'm claiming the insurance. Then the rescue owner admitted she'd received the turnout.

Sorry this happened to you. I've been lucky as a purchaser, not a seller, on ebay with very honest sellers who always sent their wares to me. And I have heard how ebay is so hard on sellers now.
    This now appears on my eBay listngs

Seller's payment instructions

Shipping policy: You have probably heard "Faster, better, cheaper, pick any two" That's how it works with shipping. I know my rates are high but I state my shipping charges with the listing. I pack well, ship quickly and anything I ship to the US is trackable. Please don't ask for cheaper after you have won an item. If you feel that the charge is higher than you wish to pay, don't bid. Please also note that part of the shipping charge reflects the commission eBay charges ON SHIPPING.

OTOH as a buyer have been glad that eBay is tough on sellers. I won a soup tureen that matched my dishes for over $100. It arrived broken and the seller offered me a refund of $10, less than I paid for shipping. EBay made her refund all my money
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    OTOH as a buyer have been glad that eBay is tough on sellers. I won a soup tureen that matched my dishes for over $100. It arrived broken and the seller offered me a refund of $10, less than I paid for shipping. EBay made her refund all my money
    If the seller did not pack the item appropriately (AND CHARGE ACCORDINGLY), then you should have gotten a refund. But otherwise maybe you should have insured it ?

I bought a pair of stirrups from England and paid the cheapo shipping. It took 4 months!! to get to the east coast of the USA. I will only send or buy to have sent items overseas by Priority Mail from now on. Was a hassle-both of us were sure it had been lost in transit and he refunded. Then...it shows up. Had to pay all over again. Tell your buyer to Be Patient. The shipping time you quoted has not yet expired and your buyer will have to give it a bit more time.
    the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

Default Ebay- SELLER BEWARE-

Yep, happened to me as well. Sold a bicycle to some on in Australia (even though the add said US ONLY). Buyer wanted the cheapest shipping possible, which was USPS Ground.

I had a receipt from USPS that the package was sent, and understandably, it was going by boat, and would take quite some time.

The buyer contacted Pay Pal, and insisted that I had not sent the item. Paypal contacted me, and said that my receipt was not sufficient, that I would need an ONLINE tracking number (not available with cheap shipping overseas). I asked, what if this had been a car I sold, would I then still need an ONLINE TRACKING NUMBER? Their answer was “YES” its their policy.

I NEVER USED PAY PAL AGAIN. They attempted to debit my account for the price of the bike (and shipping!), but I closed my account before they could. That A’hole in Australia got a bike, and tried to get my money as well.

I don’t really use Ebay any more, and NEVER EVER EVER use PAYPAL. They were HORRID!

I don’t know if “ebay” will actually try to refund the buyer, but I know Paypal will.

Good luck!

Didn't Ebay buy paypal a few years ago?

Anyhow, there are many dishonest people in the world. The only way you can protect yourself as a seller or a buyer is to insure and track packages. With all the horse-sales-gone-bad threads, it would be nice if people could get some form of horse insurance for sales, kind of like the title insurance for real estate.

Don't ship anything out of the country slower than Global priority mail. I won't ship parcel post inside the US either. Tracking outside the US is hard unless you use a courier service like UPS or FedEx. But they are EXPENSIVE! I agree with Carol, don't let the buyer choose the shipping method. Lesson learned. Hopefully it will get there soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyllsk View Post
    If the seller did not pack the item appropriately (AND CHARGE ACCORDINGLY), then you should have gotten a refund. But otherwise maybe you should have insured it ?
    LOL, she certainly charged enough for good packing
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

They may have merged, it was years ago that the Aussie tried to screw me over through PayPal, and having not used them since, I don't know what the current status is.

Does sound like seller's getting the short end of the stick is common place.

As a professional in the Title Insurance bis, its nice to see someone see a value in our product

Paypal belongs to eBay--I don't think you can have a seller account without using them.

I flat out say "No returns" on sale listings now. Ask before you buy, unless otherwise specified insurance is extra. (I did mandate Priority shipping and insurance for a Disneyland collector's plate--and I doubled the insurance so we'd both get a payout if it broke.) I've only had one problem buyer, and another where the item arrived broken (and they complained about duty, but I don't lie on customs declarations) but didn't think it was worth the hassle for either of us for me to do a refund (they even said then you're out the item and the money.)

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

So selling on eBay is basically giving the item away, anymore?

Damn.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by ESG View Post
    So selling on eBay is basically giving the item away, anymore?

Damn.
    Not really. Most of my sales have gone well. But as a seller you really have to CYA. The two sales I have had go wrong were to international buyers.

I strongly suspect the one in Hong Kong was a case of buyer's remorse. I probably won't open a non paying bidder case against a foregn bidder again, just cancel the sale. Live and learn I guess.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH

All my purchases and sales have gone well, except for one, $300 Hermes Herbag went to Florida was delivered and then I was told it was not, by the buyer. I had to refund her money. I suspect it was received and this person saw an opportunity to steal from me since I didn't require a signature. Especially when I got FREAK out emails as soon as it was supposed to have been delivered. I did have a tracking number. About how long they waited and on and on. All in capital letters. I did a trace on it, and the person that was supposed to have received it said they did. So I wrote an email and asked what was up with that, then another freak out email. Holy Crap.

I've never had a problem with the stuff I've bought from Switzerland and England and France. Everything arrived, and was exactly what the eBay listing said it was.

I will never ship without requiring a signature. Never!