The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone used Gastroade Xtra to treat ulcers??

My horse is believed to have ulcers (he has just had two colics pretty closely together and is displaying other signs of having ulcers)... Ulcer gard and Gastro gard are so expensive to do a full 28 days on so I have been looking for some possible alternatives. I came across Gastroade Xtra on www.sstack.com and it has the same active ingredient and seems to be basically the same product but at a much cheaper cost... has anyone tried this stuff?? is it as effective?? or should I just suck it up and pay the money for the proven brand name stuff??

You could give it a try but it's not meant for the treatment of ulcers, but to prevent them. I'm not absolutely sure on the dosage for treating ulcers but I think you would have to give the contents of an entire tube once a day for treatment. I agree.... still much cheaper than gastrogard. Have you thought of blue pop rocks?

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ght=omeprazole
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

You need to give your horse at least 2 grams of omazeprole per day for at least 28 days in order to let the ulcers heal completely. GastroGard and UlcerGard both have about 2.25 g per tube - the medicine is the same, only dosing is different. Gastroade Xtra is (I believe) the same, but they've added other supposedly gut friendly things, so one tube is a lot more to give a horse than the skinny little UlcerGard tubes.

I'm using GastroMax 3, which is actually even cheaper to use, since it costs about $20/tube, and has 4.25 grams omeprazole per tube, so I only need to use half a tube a day. I bought through bigdweb.com only because I've used them before, I'm sure plenty of internet retailers carry it. I tried local tack shops and only found UlcerGard for $45-60 a tube.

FWIW I placed an order for pop rocks & they had a delay in shipping, so I decided to go ahead and treat now, then use the pop rocks for preventative help in the future.

Thanks for the advice, I will look into that Gastromax stuff! I just can't believe how much they charge for ulcergard/gastrogard simply because they have a monopoly on it and people NEED it to treat their horses... it's really sad how the pharmaceutical companies work

I know this is an old thread, but just found Gastroade Xtra on Big Dee for sale buy 3 get one free. So paying around $14-15 a tube in the end. I punched in BDNEW1 for the promo code and got another 10% off, also had free shipping.

I've never tried it, but might as well give it a shot since it's on sale and all.

Just to throw this out there, when you read the description for GastroMax 3 it says:

"Each tube contains 4.25 grams total proprietary formula. Independent analysis has measured 2.28 grams omeprazole per tube."

This means there is only one dose per tube, not two as indicated above.

1 members found this post helpful.