The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vinyl fencing

Tell me anything you know. Is it worth it? Where's the best place to purchase it? Is it easy to install and replace? Do you use wood in the posts? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Has to be spray wash lots. Gets moldy and dirty fast. The white pvc stuff, breaks. Just saying what I have seen of it on others properties. Wow, it looks nasty when dirty, in any color.

I would never have this type fence.

Mesh and wood and metal tee posts for us.

Mesh and wood and metal tee posts for us.
    Never heard of it, but please tell me more. I'm all ears. My wood fence needs to be replaced.
    Thanks

We have a graduated wire mesh, iow small at the bottom to larger on top. Wood posts, creosote, round not square. And in between tee posts. Which are metal posts. Easy. Just labor. And some skill.

Drive around in your area and other areas, take pictures of the fences you like, and note the ones you dislike. Then ask a fencing company how much. Or go to the feed store or co-op after measuring what you want fenced, and see how much.

Thanks. I will visit TS tomorrow.

I think it depends on what kind of climate you live in. I have a ton of white vinyl fence that I love. It stays clean and white and is completely maintenance free, all I do is replace the rails if they break (if a horse kicks them or something). However, I live in the high desert where it almost never rains.

Before I moved here, I had a farm in a rainy, temperate climate area, and it was a pain there.
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Tell me anything you know. Is it worth it? Where's the best place to purchase it? Is it easy to install and replace? Do you use wood in the posts? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.
    I think Centaur is similar price to vinyl and I can HIGHLY recommend it. I have black which blends into the background (you really almost don't see the fence vs. white that sticks out) and it is completely maintenance free and completely safe. No broken rails -- I have two trees (and I mean big ones) fall on my fence and we just cut the tree off and re-nail the brackets if they came off the post and the rails snap right back to shape...amazing.

It is an investment, but worth it in that maintenance free fence category.

ps...I have the 5" rail -- 3 strands.
    Last edited by ljcfoh; Apr. 9, 2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: forgot something

We have white vinyl all over our property. It is gorgeous. It's 15 years old. We've done zero maintenance. We've had zero problems. It looks exactly like it did when it was new.

Can anyone suggest where to purchase it?

Quote Originally Posted by happymom View Post
    Can anyone suggest where to purchase it?
    www.allhorsefence.com Tell Robert that Carol Prudom sent you. I have purchased from him twice, once a few years ago and this past month. We hired a local installer who was all set to buy the fence from our local supplier but he humored me when I insisted and checked with allhorse aka Perma well.

He was shocked that the allhorse fence was a heavier weight and cheaper
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Thanks tons!!

OMG, the horse whinny scared the dogs into hiding!!

I can't stand our vinyl fencing. When it gets cold, impacts shatter hunks of it leaving sharp edges. Also, maybe ours was just installed improperly, but if the horses rub on the boards too much/lean through them to the grass, the boarding will pop out of the sockets in the posts and need to be popped back in. It just feels so flimsy to me...like toy fencing.

One of my horses has gotten stuck in it (rolled too close and got his legs tangled/stuck in the boards) and it was terrifying. I would have known how to handle that situation with wood, but the vinyl was difficult. It required tying around the boards and to a tractor to pull them apart.

It is very pretty and I do not mind it for perimeter fencing for the riding ring, but I really hate it as pasture fencing.
    "Last time I picked your feet, you broke my toe!"

There is PVC fence and there is PVC fence. I've been to fencing conventions
    and there is a huge range of thickness and strength in these products. It's been a while so I don't remember the names.

Wind River Fence makes a quality product--got samples from them last year.
    The planks also have a locking mechanism to keep them popping out. There are some folks who make this type of fencing geared to containing animals and come in a variety of colors and textures. Got samples from Gardner fence years ago and was really not impressed with the thickness, etc.

Climate makes a huge difference on mildew problems. Most manufacturers
    have mildew inhibitors but they are only so effective. Any white fence around here that sits under trees, in a lot of shade, etc. tends to get icky
    looking over time.

We've known folks with the vinyl covered wood fencing and they were not
    pleased as water got, wood expanded, vinyl cracked.

Do lots of research!

I got my fence "rails" from Horsefencedirect" 8 years ago.

GOOD STUFF!

Despite my newbie mistake of using landscape timbers as fenceposts - NOT a good idea.

As those posts have broken, the "rails" lie there 'til new posts go in, then they go back up just fine.

Much better than regular wood rails!

I will say that the "flex fence" type systems work best on relatively straight lines & on fairly level ground... which decidedly is NOT what I have here in eastern Conn.! despite that, I do think this is a great way to go.

Every few years, as I notice the mildew growth on the shady side of the fence, I'll walkabout with a bucket of bleach/water mix & a scrub brush. My "rails" are white so the green shows up... dunno how invisible brown or black "rails" are for showing the "ick."

Quote Originally Posted by JeanM View Post
    I will say that the "flex fence" type systems work best on relatively straight lines & on fairly level ground... which decidedly is NOT what I have here in eastern Conn.! despite that, I do think this is a great way to go.

Every few years, as I notice the mildew growth on the shady side of the fence, I'll walkabout with a bucket of bleach/water mix & a scrub brush. My "rails" are white so the green shows up... dunno how invisible brown or black "rails" are for showing the "ick."
    I have Centaur (flex fence) and my property is not level anywhere. I think that fencing is actually better for terrain changes as they rail can follow the contours of the topography. Works here at least.

I have black and highly recommend it -- it blends nicely into the background and doesn't show dirt, mildew, etc. I always thought I wanted white but am thrilled I went with black.

I can't stand our vinyl fencing. When it gets cold, impacts shatter hunks of it leaving sharp edges. Also, maybe ours was just installed improperly, but if the horses rub on the boards too much/lean through them to the grass, the boarding will pop out of the sockets in the posts and need to be popped back in. It just feels so flimsy to me...like toy fencing.
    THIS. I hate our vinyl fencing, it's been nothing but a problem for several years. If I could do it again I would go with Centaur - looks to be much more cost effective than vinyl. My darn mini-horse has figured out how to pop the boards out and I'm constantly chasing her up the driveway (at 5AM this morning for example!) and having to replace boards and posts because she cracks or breaks them. I haven't had issues with my retired QH but he's super mellow and doesn't run/kick/etc anymore. I'm looking at installing a secondary perimeter fence just because the vinyl won't keep mini in and I'm planning to go with Centaur or something similar.