The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thanks JB, for the reply. That's exactly what I thought I'd do, it just stinks because I was down to only twice a year and it's 2 more wormers I have to buy/administer. Want to hear Pfizer's recommendation? They sent a auto generated email that said I can safely administer another wormer 2 weeks out from the first one. First of all, really? Second of all, great....I get to buy your crappy product all over again???!!! I don't think so!!!

I had an allergic reaction to Febreze. Never been allergic to anything in my life but had perfectly uniform dots where the spray contacted my skin. It looked like I had chicken pox! So I contact the company who sent me a coupon for a free bottle! I emailed them back saying that since allergic reactions tend to be cumulative maybe the second bottle could kill me. Good plan. Sometimes they just don't think! I agree, why would you want to buy more of something you had a problem with?!

I did not get a claim number because it was all handled through SmartPak. SP did offer to refund me or send me additional tubes, but I was able to get everything I needed out of there eventually, so I didn't pursue anything further.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Yeah, forget about it and stick on your regular schedual. It will not place them in mortal danger and they will not hate you forever for it.

Anybody else care to prove themselves geriatric by recalling when we tube wormed twice a year with fasting 12 hours before and after?? Man, we have gotten spoiled here.

Oh, show the company how you feel about them and never buy their products again.
    Creak! Groan!
    And ..you forgot the occasional nosebleed when an uncooperative critter would flip their head around.

Another Geriatric case!! With a great memory!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Well, apparently I have short term memory loss or am a glutton for punishment....or maybe both, lol! I bought 2 tubes of Quest Plus and went to administer one yesterday and guess what?!?! The darn thing stuck AGAIN!!!! Fortunately, I bought these through Smartpak who is more than willing to send me more at no charge or refund my $$$. Smartpak=wonderful. Quest=Not so much. Is anyone else having these problems....still??? Why in the world can't they solve this issue? It doesn't seem that difficult. If we can't/don't want to use Quest Plus in the spring (I do FEC and Equimax in Fall) then what is the next best dewormer to use? JB??? ;-)

There is no real alternative to QP because if you're avoiding the ivermectin because of the beetles, you don't have a real alternative for strongyles.

Now that said - you MIGHT have one if you are in a situation where a FEC is high enough, and you can do a FECRT at the appropriate interval:

It's been shown that combining oxibendazole (Anthelcide) and pyrantel pamoate is much more effective against strongyles than either on their own. It's a full dose of each, given at the same time. But, you need a high enough count before hand, and have to do a FECRT 10-14 days later to see what sort of reduction you have.

If you find that works, then you can come back with a double dose pyrantel pamoate (ie Tapecare Plus) for the tapeworms.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    There is no real alternative to QP because if you're avoiding the ivermectin because of the beetles, you don't have a real alternative for strongyles.

Now that said - you MIGHT have one if you are in a situation where a FEC is high enough, and you can do a FECRT at the appropriate interval:

It's been shown that combining oxibendazole (Anthelcide) and pyrantel pamoate is much more effective against strongyles than either on their own. It's a full dose of each, given at the same time. But, you need a high enough count before hand, and have to do a FECRT 10-14 days later to see what sort of reduction you have.

If you find that works, then you can come back with a double dose pyrantel pamoate (ie Tapecare Plus) for the tapeworms.
    Not avoiding ivermectin because of "beetles", I don't even know what you're talking about, lol!! Also, I don't have high FEC and don't seem to have resistance issues either. If this is the case, theoretically, could I just use Equimax twice a year?...or no?(would be easier than using 2 different wormers) BTW, I used my 2nd syringe of Quest yesterday, mindful of the sticking this time. It *did* stick, but not as bad and fortunately this pony doesn't mind things in his mouth so I was able to use both hands to squirt the contents inside.

Ivermectin kills dung beetles, and they are very active in the Spring - that's the avoidance issue lol

You CAN use Equimax twice a year, it's just nice not to.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Ivermectin kills dung beetles, and they are very active in the Spring - that's the avoidance issue lol

You CAN use Equimax twice a year, it's just nice not to.
    Ok, got it, I didn't know what kind of beetles you were referring to, thanks!