The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Quest Plus, sticking plunger!! It happened again, why can't they fix this???

Ok, that's pretty much the question. I have a call into the company because I certainly don't want to overdose with this product. The plunger actually jammed up and it wasn't noticed until the end of the day. Two youngish (3-4 yrs) ponies were dewormed today in the same pasture. When I cleaned up the syringes later, I noticed that instead of the full amount 800lbs being gone, only about half had been given. I can certainly see what happened because the plunger was definitely "stuck". Problem now is it's the end of the day and we don't know which pony got the 1/2 dose. What would YOU do? For additional info, FEC were negative on one/low (50) on the other, it's just that time of year to do tapes, used Equimax six months ago. Gotta love the new protocol!!
    Last edited by Dune; Mar. 16, 2013 at 12:06 PM.

I would forget about it. You don't know what pony was underdosed and the risks (and cost) of over dosing every one is much worse than underdosing one. I would make sure to rotate to ivermectin next to kill off (hopefully) any that may havE become resistant to moxi. I doubt it will even happen, but there is always the chance. And yes, doing fecals wouldn't hurt if you can do it. If one comes back wormy, you treat appropriately.

1 members found this post helpful.

Call the company about the plunger getting stuck. I just had the same issue with 3 tubes (all from same lot/batch) getting stuck on the 1000# mark. I filed something with the product dept of SmartPak.

I think they had a manufacturing issue with the plunger/tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    Call the company about the plunger getting stuck. I just had the same issue with 3 tubes (all from same lot/batch) getting stuck on the 1000# mark. I filed something with the product dept of SmartPak.

I think they had a manufacturing issue with the plunger/tubes.
    OH *really*, that is VERY interesting. When I called they said they've never had this problem before. They also said they wouldn't replace the product because I bought it through Valley Vet, and they only guarantee their product if it's dispensed by a licensed vet. And the kicker, the main reason I called, they won't tell me about the safety of re-dosing (or not). I'm supposed to call MY vet for that. Well, I love my vet, but she's still on the every 2 month rotation kick, so that's not going to help. I told the gal on the phone that I was going to share my experience with everyone I could and how dissatisfied I am with their response.

I agree with flyracing.

Sucks they were so unhelpful though.
    Siouxland Sporthorses: http://slsfarm.blogspot.com/

DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Yeah, forget about it and stick on your regular schedual. It will not place them in mortal danger and they will not hate you forever for it.

Anybody else care to prove themselves geriatric by recalling when we tube wormed twice a year with fasting 12 hours before and after?? Man, we have gotten spoiled here.

Oh, show the company how you feel about them and never buy their products again.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    They also said they wouldn't replace the product because I bought it through Valley Vet, and they only guarantee their product if it's dispensed by a licensed vet. And the kicker, the main reason I called, they won't tell me about the safety of re-dosing (or not)
    Where is Valley Vet sourcing their product from then - I'd have this discussion with a supervisor, sadly you almost always need to go past the first layer of "customer service" in order to get any sort of information or resolution.

Call back & ask to speak with a scientist or vet on staff, file a written complaint with the BBB if they don't try a little harder to answer your concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post

Anybody else care to prove themselves geriatric by recalling when we tube wormed twice a year with fasting 12 hours before and after?? Man, we have gotten spoiled here.
    Sadly yes . The days of tube worming thankfully are long gone!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Yeah, forget about it and stick on your regular schedual. It will not place them in mortal danger and they will not hate you forever for it.

Oh, show the company how you feel about them and never buy their products again.
    Me too! I never understood for years in high school why everyone giggled about KY jelly. Vet used it to tubeworm my horses. I did not know that it had other uses.

Pony won't be hurt. Stick to regular schedule but do let company know about the defective plunger.

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    When I called they said they've never had this problem before.
    I never trust a company who says they've never had a negative call

FWIW, the tubes of QP I used several weeks ago got somewhat stuck about halfway through, and I had to really push. I had even taken the first tube out of the horse's mouth before I realized it didn't depress all the way. I always, always make sure to check where the plunger ends up when I'm done

They also said they wouldn't replace the product because I bought it through Valley Vet, and they only guarantee their product if it's dispensed by a licensed vet.
    Might be true, but it's a sorry ass cop-out IMHO

And the kicker, the main reason I called, they won't tell me about the safety of re-dosing (or not). I'm supposed to call MY vet for that.
    THAT is inexcusable. They REALLY would rather you get safety information from a third party? Really??? I'd be finding names at the top and sending them all a polite, but to the point direct letter about all this.

I told the gal on the phone that I was going to share my experience with everyone I could and how dissatisfied I am with their response.
    She won't, doesn't care. Not her problem She won't lose a second's worth of sleep over it, unfortunately. If people like that did care, maybe Zimecterin Gold would be fixed by now

FWIW, I would probably come back with ivermectin (if you used QP) or Equimax (if you used Q) at the 12 week mark, regardless. That would help get rid of any remaining colony that wasn't killed in the underdosed pony, and won't hurt the properly dosed pony.

I remember when we didn't have any dewormers.
    Then they came with this white powder you sprinkled on a handful of fresh alfalfa you had dunked in the water trough and the horses gobbled the alfalfa without thinking about it, then were trying to spit it out, once they got the bad taste of the powder, but got most of it.
    Then you had massive worm die-offs, but because horses were stabled, never pastured, once cleaned, they stayed very clean.

Then came tube deworming, some vets were so good horses just made faces when the tube was inserted, but stood there nicely without a care once in there, until you were thru with the hand pump.

Then came pellets, that once killed a good 75-100 wild turkeys for us, when they cleaned up after the horses.

We don't know how good we have it today.

Dang Bluey, you must be...like...old!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Dang Bluey, you must be...like...old!
    Direct descendant from Noah's Ark pair.

I also remember when we didn't have vaccines and saw a horse get tetanus and we could not do anything for him, horrible.

You bet any horse I have has his shots.
    I can't believe there are some today that "don't believe" in the need of deworming or vaccinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Direct descendant from Noah's Ark pair.

I also remember when we didn't have vaccines and saw a horse get tetanus and we could not do anything for him, horrible.
    I cannot imagine how awful that was

I can't believe there are some today that "don't believe" in the need of deworming or vaccinating.
    I know, this isn't about opinions, this is about science, pure and simple.

Wow.

For the record, my Quest Plus was sticky this spring too -- I noticed in time, but it was HARD to push the plunger for that last 1/4 tube.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

2Dogs raises a shaky liverspotted hand....

OP:
    Avoid the problem and switch to another product.
    I used Quest for years without any issue on my 2 horses.
    When I got my pony I recalled hearing of adverse reactions for very young horses & ponies to Moxidectin.
    On my vet's advice I use Ivermectin/Praziquantel in place of Quest for my 500# pony.
    For now just let under-dosed pony be, do FEC and catch up on your next rotation.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Getting ready to worm with Quest Plus...thanks for the heads up...I'll be paying attention!
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

FWIW - mine with problems were from batch/lot #752196

It's pretty irritating because you can push past the "stuckness" but it takes both hands - and that doesn't quite work because you have to be holding the horse with the other hand.

Pookie isn't going to stand there still without me holding him, so I can squeeze with both hands to get the last 250# of wormer in his mouth.......

I keep a 60 cc catheter syringe around for dosing stuff into my horse's mouth. Faced with a problem like these Quest tubes, I believe I'd squeeze the leftover wormer into the 60cc catheter syringe and then shoot it into the horse's mouth from there. I paid about 60 cents for the catheter syringe.

Not saying it's ideal, just saying it's a possible solution.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Wow.

For the record, my Quest Plus was sticky this spring too -- I noticed in time, but it was HARD to push the plunger for that last 1/4 tube.
    Yes, VERY hard!

Quote Originally Posted by 2DogsFarm View Post

OP:
    Avoid the problem and switch to another product.
    I will not be purchasing their product again, nor will I recommend it unless/until they decide to remedy this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Getting ready to worm with Quest Plus...thanks for the heads up...I'll be paying attention!
    You're welcome!!

Quote Originally Posted by NorCalDressage View Post
    FWIW - mine with problems were from batch/lot #752196

It's pretty irritating because you can push past the "stuckness" but it takes both hands - and that doesn't quite work because you have to be holding the horse with the other hand.

Pookie isn't going to stand there still without me holding him, so I can squeeze with both hands to get the last 250# of wormer in his mouth.......
    Thanks for the info, did you file a claim and get a claim number? I did, they are saying it's the "first time" they've heard of it. And yes, it would be very difficult to syringe that 2nd half into said horsie's mouth!

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I keep a 60 cc catheter syringe around for dosing stuff into my horse's mouth. Faced with a problem like these Quest tubes, I believe I'd squeeze the leftover wormer into the 60cc catheter syringe and then shoot it into the horse's mouth from there. I paid about 60 cents for the catheter syringe.

Not saying it's ideal, just saying it's a possible solution.

Good solution, but you're right, shouldn't be my problem to solve.