The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

I've never actually met a Christian.

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:
    Bush is the only one we can support. I am really tired of the "Government" telling me what I should eat, what I should do and deciding who should get benefits.

Would it be preferable to have some gun-toting, anti-choice, execution-happy politician who decided to run for government as an afterthought pretend he isn't making those decisions for you?

For example the estate tax if it is not repealed, sure there are exemptions but there are 30 pages of exceptions and definitions. How can double taxation be fair? How is it fair to tax a family just because some died? Does it really matter how much the tax would be? It's the principle, and principle is sadly lacking in all of the Gore proposals.

If we're talking about 'principle', consider this, there will be an estimated $15 trillion which will be passed between generations in the next few years. Of that, $5 trillion will go the (already) very wealthy. Much of American society as you know it now was built by inheritances - the rich created charitable foundations (yes, to avoid estate taxes) which took on much of the social infrastructure that you enjoy today. Think libraries, arts orgs., feeding the poor, fighting disease. That seems like a principled exercise to me. If the estate tax is repealed, all that principled activity will cease and you'll have to count on the largesse of Bush to make up the shortfall, which he'll do with higher taxes. BTW, if we're complaining about a lack of work ethic among the less-than-wealthy, consider that these vast inheritances were NOT earned by the recipients.

Do you realize that the largest voter base that Gore has is the blue collar people who have never gone to college and many haven't graduated high school? Never mine the other ethnic groups they measure. Why if these are the market share of votes that Gore can count on would he care about education. That's why they call it the "dumbing" of America. Do you know how George bush did in school compared to Gore?

This is so ridiculous it's almost funny. George double-u's education was, as much of his life, an afterthought. I think the implication that only white college grads are qualified to vote is a scary one.

Let's not fall into the media trap of believing all the tripe that's flying around. Don't forget that all the show business folks are Union people, and all the news people are Union people, therefore they are pronouncing based on their experience and opinions. There is no longer an objective reporting.

As a bystander to the American election, it's rather curious that I as a Canadian have read more and more closely followed the impending American elections than many Americans, including the white college grads. If you're concerned about the 'dumbing of America', given Bush's education record in Texas, seems to me you're supporting the wrong guy.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

[This message has been edited by heidi (edited 10-20-2000).]

Whoa, what about horses? I wonder if Dick Cheney likes horses - he's the one that'll be running the government in a Republican administration.

Loudoun, VA (unless the new board raises taxes again)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Inverness:
    I have one rule in voting for a President: I want the future leader of the free world to be smarter than me. Let's face it - Bush is a 40 watt bulb.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I couldn't have said it better. Not that Gore is exactly the sharpest tool in the shed but I think he's the lesser of two idiots. Too bad the Republican party decided to push Bush instead of McCain.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I don\'t believe in political jokes - I\'ve seen too many of them get elected.

Oh boy, a politics thread, do I forsee a possible lock [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

"Do you realize that the largest voter base that Gore has is the blue collar people who have never gone to college and many haven't graduated high school? "

Definately a voter base that shouldn't be disregarded, since they can vote & tend to get executed in the state of Texas. I've had die hard far right republican friends actually say they thought the right to vote should be removed from the less educated. How scary is that, considering the point of the country being founded was that all would have a right to vote, regardless of those issues? Can we say dictatorship?

Seriously, though, if my vote was based on the debates, it would be Bush. He came off more genuine and yes, for local gov't like Govenor I would want him. Nationally & Globally he scares me and thats a big piece of being president.

At heart I'm a democrat, and the economy has been good, but who knows what will happen when I push that button? As silly as it is, I really don't like getting lied to straight faced on t.v., which Clinton managed to do.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by SLWarrior:
    keep in mind that Gore WILL impose a litmus(sp) test on his Supreme Court candidates as he stated during the first debate. He said he would not appoint someone the likes of Clarence Thomans and another judge currently on the bench. Bush said he would not use a litmus test. Roe v. Wade is safe, Americans want that freedom of choice for their mothers, daughters and sisters.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

With all due respect, SL, I think you may have misunderstood the point Gore was making during that question. He was pointing out that no matter WHO makes the appointments, they have ways of selecting the candidate that will more than likely guarantee a certain type of future voting record without openly asking about it.

This is no more or less than has ALWAYS occurred with supreme court selection, and I think we would be in a whole new fantasy land if we were to assume that either of these candidates are any less than the politician they are born and bred to be. To do other than their party demands is a great way to lose the support of your OWN party, and few inpolitics can survive that.

OK, I think MY cynicism about politics came shining through [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Ok-
    Everyone write me in. I will make all National Forest Lands accessible to horses, Mandate 1/2 day Fridays and late start Mondays for all business to accomodate the showing public.
    All "horsey girls" wishing only to be grooms will be supported by a program enabling them to make $25.00 an hour.
    I will allocate 1/4 of the budget for R&D on a helmet that juniors will all fawn over that will protect their brains from injury.
    I will give farmers money to switch from growing Tobacco to growing carrots and alfalafa.
    We will have dressage shows on PBS every Evening.
    I will subsidize tailored sportsman breeches by putting a tax on rust and grey breeches, as well as rubber boots and unapproved helmets.
    Horse trailers shall have their own lanes on highways.
    Anyone caught saying "But it's the horse that does all the work" will be forced to work for a DQ or a HP for a period of 6 months.
    So write me in...I'm for You!
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by smedley:
    I've never actually met a Christian. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smedley for president!!!!

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

I believe the nail was struck on the head many posts ago. It is about the local level politicians and Congress.

I have given up thinking that this ONE individual has that much power to "run" this country and truly affect change. My God, it seems to me that as soon as someone is elected they are either "campaigning" for the next election, or defending themselves on some "criminal" charge brought by someone that didn't want them elected in the first place.

Politics is politics and has certainly gotten a long way from representative government. It is now it's own industry.
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

MAGNOLIA for PRESIDENT

The horsey woman's candidate!!!!
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:
    VT -

For all you people who are eternally amused by politics in a cynical sort of fashion, here is the queen of comentary, Molly Ivins. The article will change daily, but today's is REALLY funny. Oh, and as a person who was very close to the legislative history on this particular subject, she ain't stretchin' the truth...
    http://www.star-telegram.com/columnist/ivins2.htm
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I dearly love Molly Ivins! Ya'll have gotta read this one!! LOLOLOLOL

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moose:
    Definately a voter base that shouldn't be disregarded, since they can vote & tend to get executed in the state of Texas.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh my... I'm teary-eyed, I'm laughing so hard! Very clever, Moose!

Very interesting thread... please continue to discuss politely so I can keep reading without my blood pressure going through the roof, and my "locking" trigger finger getting itchy! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

For the person who asked, yes, Dubbya does have a ranch in the Hill Country and there are horses on that ranch, but that is a far cry from being an actual horseman or even a rancher. Texas is full of these kind of vanity ranches (as I think of them) -- places in the country where well-to-do businessmen and lawyers can go on the weekend and pretend to be cowboys. Most of them have them because the come with hunting leases and they don't have to go far from the house to be able to kill deer and duck (not to mention eating baby quiche for breakfast).
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

The absolute funniest and most true political advertisement on the air is the Snickers commercial where the cartoon elephant and donkey are sitting on the guy's shoulders.

Elephant: "Vote for me, my dad was president.

Donkey: "Well, my dad was a senator."

Elephant: "People think I sound a lot like my dad."

Donkey: "Well, I invented the internet."

Elephant: "My mom thinks I look like my dad."

And so on -- If you have not seen it, it is absolutely hysterical, because it is (all too sadly) so true.

Also, regardless of your political beliefs, this really is funny for anybody who every read "Highlights for Kids" magazine:
    http://www.salon.com/politics/featur.../gg/index.html

[This message has been edited by Portia (edited 10-20-2000).]
    "I don't want to sound like a broken record here, but why is it that a woman will forgive homicidal behavior in a horse, yet be highly critical of a man for leaving the toilet seat up?" Dave Barry

Yes, there's the real question... which candidate is PBQ&C??? (pro-baby quiche and carrots!)

Random thought:

Did anyone catch the last couple weekends of Saturday Night Live?

They had the BEST take on the debates!
    Soooooo funny....

The bottom line is that neither one of these guys is very bright. They were both C students who got into top schools because of their families.

Gore rode the family name into politics and stayed there. He grew up a politician in a washington hotel.

Bush failed at every business he tried and daddy bailed him out. As noted earlier, he grew up in a hotel in Houston.

I wish we had a none of the above option! I've been voting for president for twenty five years and am always choosing the lesser of evils.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Well, Portia, Inverness... you are in Texas and DC, respectively... FIND OUT ABOUT THE CANDIDATES POSITION!!!

Enquiring minds need to know about their stand on PETF. My god, this election is deadlocked... this could be the deciding factor!
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Look, I'll support Baby Quiches and Carrots, but I stop short of those sneaky little cherry tomatoes.
    MAGNOLIA 2000 the voice of hors de'vours and horsey people. Oh, and I care about pickles too.

Really though, it is wonderful that we live in a society that we can mock and disagree with our leaders. Some nations would hang us by our fingernails.
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

Sorry, I have had enough of "no morrals" making the US the laughing stock of the world. And you can do what ever you want with your body, just not someone else's. And you will always have the right to choose, just not to "change your mind" after your neglect, lack of careing, and incompetence creates another life. You already made your choice. Just check out what the baby looks like at a month or 2 of gestational age and tell me it is nothing. Count the fingers. See the smile. So at what day do YOU think it becomes a life? Environment? How about shutting a long term family business of making apple juice down and fineing them hundreds of thousands of dollars due to a sugar spill? Especially when owners asked for the test to see how they were doing cleaning up the higher sugar ground content that they reported. Sugar? The rich getting richer might not sound good to you, but trickle down economy does work. It creates jobs, and jobs create competition for employees. If you heavily tax the rich, they sit on their money and don't invest in the future. Yes, Bush has not had the experience public speaking, and Gore is very practiced. I would rather have honest. And remember, you are getting all of your information from the media (Another word for media is liberal) I will definitely make time to vote now... BUSH