The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heather:
    Josiah Bartlett from The West Wing!!!!

No, huh? Don't get to pick him? Darn!

Well, I'm voting for Gore because his platform on three issues I care about the most--abortion, gun control, and the environment/land preservation--are more in line with my own thoughts. Basically, the Republicans in general and Bush in specific's beholdeness to the NRA and the religous right scares the bejezus out of me.

However, the point should me made that I think Gore is kind of a putz, and had I another choice, I wouldn't pick him either.

Think we could do a write-in campaign for Josiah Bartlett?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed Heather....

Okay ya'll - I CAN"T VOTE (I'm 17) so you all better get out there and vote!!!! Especially you Gore people!

Sarah
    Sarah ( & Regal)

what doesn't kill you makes you stronger -
    unless it breaks your heart first

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

VT - that is an "East Texas" twang he has picked up... he didn't get his accent in the oilfields, he got it from the Houston hotel he grew up in...

For all you people who are eternally amused by politics in a cynical sort of fashion, here is the queen of comentary, Molly Ivins. The article will change daily, but today's is REALLY funny. Oh, and as a person who was very close to the legislative history on this particular subject, she ain't stretchin' the truth...
    http://www.star-telegram.com/columnist/ivins2.htm
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Toronto, a city that\'s not won a Stanley Cup in my damned lifetime

As a neighbour to the North my condolences to all Americans this election year. It's sad when democracy leads us to vote for the lesser of two evils -- rather than, how novel, a leader of character, integrity, vision, social compassion, who practises restraint re: taxation.

Bush, no doubt about it. I agree he is not the best public speaker but I agree with the platform he represents. Get rid of the death tax and marriage penalty and many of us will benifit immediatley, ie: cash to spend on our hobby. Tax climate favors Bush ditto govt interference.

On a personal note, I like the fact that Bush sent his daughters to public schools, unlike Gore. I admired that about Jimmy Carter also.

Josiah Bartlett for president!!!!! (I love "The West Wing"!!!!!)

Gore because I am in agreement with him on most of the issues, and most importantly because I don't W to ever have the opportunity to nominate ANY justices to the Supreme Court -- I would fear for Roe v. Wade, civil rights, separation of church and state, etc. All things I believe in very strongly.

And Inverness, I agree. In terms of substance, Bush is an inch deep (on a good day) and a mile wide. As Ross Perot would say, "Not qualified. Nope. Not qualified."

Gore, environmentalist? Check it out:
    The Wall Street Opinion Journal http://www.opinionjournal.com/

Investigating Al Gore
    The vice president, Armand Hammer and zinc. http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=65000067
    Saturday, August 12, 2000

These talk about the zinc mining on his place in Tennessee. A brief quote, " It also seems that zinc from Mr. Gore's property ends up in the cool waters of the Caney Fork River, an oft-celebrated site in Gore lore. A major shaft and tailings pond of the Pasminco Zinc Mine sit practically in the backyard of the vice president's Tennessee homestead. Zinc and other metals from the Gore land move from underground tunnels through elaborate extraction processes. Waste material ends up in the tailings pond, from which water flows into adjacent Caney Fork, languidly rolling on to the great Cumberland.
    Mining is intrinsically a messy business, and Pasminco Zinc generally has a good environmental record. But not one that would pass muster with "Earth in the Balance," Mr. Gore's best-selling environmental book. As recently as May 16, the Tennessee Department of Environment and Conservation issued a "Notice of Violation.""

Actually, if you want to read interesting and always funny political bashing from a long time (Democrat) insider, keep your eyes out for columnist William Klein. Often in the Washington Post and the Christian Science Monitor.

Will post some links when I find them.

Womens rights - Gore

And taxes don't just go away they get shifted somewhere else . . unfortunately if you cancel out a stream of revenues it doesnt just miraculously appear somewhere else . .
    - - - - - -
    \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

AHC- you stole the words right out of my mouth!

We can't go back 30 years in the Supreme Court. Yes, many of you might be pro-life, or pro choice... No matter what EVERY woman should have the right to chose. It really scares me that some 65 year old man can tell me what to do with MY body.

Also, Bush is backed by the Christian Coalition, and for me that's another bad idea. Not everyone in the USA is Christian...

Gore all the way!

"And taxes don't just go away they get shifted somewhere else . . unfortunately if you cancel out a stream of revenues it doesnt just miraculously appear somewhere else . ."
    Oh what a lovely quote, Clemson Rider - "Old Taxes don't die, they just multiply".
    You know, I think our national government needs to do 3 things.
    1. Defend our nation if threatened.
    2. Maintain Highways.
    3. And maintain peace b/w states.

I think if we made local government far more important, we'd be soooo much better off.

Bush wants to tell me what to do with my body and morals.
    Gore has his hand out for my taxes.
    Neither really care about what I want. Hey, they don't care about what you want either.

Yet, my city councilwoman:
    1. Returns my e-mails and phonecalls.
    2. Comes to my meetings, takes notes and acts.
    3. Cares what happens, because she lives within a few miles.
    Who should have more power in my life? Some rich $%$# who is bought off by corporations or my neighbor who was elected based on her beliefs and responsiveness? and could campaign with only a few dollars.
    Our country is too large and diverse to have such centralized leadership. What plays in Peoria doesn't cut it in San Francisco. Unfortunatley, we don't really have this choice, but hey- a girl can dream.
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.

The question WAS framed around the candidates and the horse industry, not the other issues BUT since it has drifted to other issues keep in mind that Gore WILL impose a litmus(sp) test on his Supreme Court candidates as he stated during the first debate. He said he would not appoint someone the likes of Clarence Thomans and another judge currently on the bench. Bush said he would not use a litmus test. Roe v. Wade is safe, Americans want that freedom of choice for their mothers, daughters and sisters.

If Gore wins the election and makes Supreme Court appointments you will have your liberal SC bench, preserved park lands you won't be allowed to ride on, programs to heal every person for every afliction and the thought police everywhere.

Sorry, Gore is not the best person for the Democratic party.

Magnolia . . . I couldn't agree more!!

I feel as though the fed government is going past the limits of control on my life that I feel confortable with!

Local government should have more power . . .esp since they are more accessible
    - - - - - -
    \"I found my inner bitch and ran with her.\" ~ Courtney Love

"If Gore wins the election and makes Supreme Court appointments you will have your liberal SC bench, preserved park lands you won't be allowed to ride on, programs to heal every person for every afliction and the thought police everywhere. "

If Bush gets elected, you will have park lands for sale to the ummmmm, "highest" bidder. Trust me, I even heard it from a Bush supporter - if you care about the environment, he is not your friend. And trust me, big corporation of logging is going to be much less welcoming to your horses then the park service. Oh, and in 4 years...well, let's just say that once trees are gone, it's a long process to grow 'em back.

Bush is the only one we can support. I am really tired of the "Government" telling me what I should eat, what I should do and deciding who should get benefits. For example the estate tax if it is not repealed, sure there are exemptions but there are 30 pages of exceptions and definitions. How can double taxation be fair? How is it fair to tax a family just because some died? Does it really matter how much the tax would be? It's the principle, and principle is sadly lacking in all of the Gore proposals.

Do you know that Gore flunked out of his first two colleges and finally found one where he could pass! Do you know that if the environmentalists have their way oil will be so expensive that we will save the environment by not driving and turning down our thermostats. Do you realize that the largest voter base that Gore has is the blue collar people who have never gone to college and many haven't graduated high school? Never mine the other ethnic groups they measure. Why if these are the market share of votes that Gore can count on would he care about education. That's why they call it the "dumbing" of America. Do you know how George bush did in school compared to Gore?

Let's not fall into the media trap of believing all the tripe that's flying around. Don't forget that all the show business folks are Union people, and all the news people are Union people, therefore they are pronouncing based on their experience and opinions. There is no longer an objective reporting.

"Do you realize that the largest voter base that Gore has is the blue collar people who have never gone to college and many haven't graduated high school? Never mine the other ethnic groups they measure. Why if these are the market share of votes that Gore can count on would he care about education. "

That is the most ignorant thing I have ever heard!!!! A college education does not make you smart!!!! My mechanic is the smartest man I know. He makes a crap load of money off of me. Gee, my dad was a highschool drop out, he must be dumb. It must be a fluke that he has a successful business.

Your idea is why I would never support Bush. Your ideas are elitist and dated. Screw the little people - let them eat cake! Just forget about the people working hard for a living. Who cares about the guy that frys my burger - he's not "educated".

Maybe we should only let white upper class people vote...it would be sooooooo much easier to stay rich without working. Oh, and while were at it, unions are just so messy, must we make a good work environment for a group smart enough to organize?
    You made lose my appetite for lunch.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:
    Bush is the only one we can support. I am really tired of the "Government" telling me what I should eat, what I should do and deciding who should get benefits. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Don't delude yourself into thinking that Bush will be any different.

I hate say it but Bush barely got by at Yale (with a C average). He got in because his Daddy went (as MANY students today do.) He also was in 'Skull and Bones' an elitist Frat type organization that has turned out MANY high powered politicians and business men... only 15 Juniors are nominated to get in every year.

Oh and remember how Bush said he hasn't had a drink since the early 80's? There's a wonderful wedding video out on the internet of Bush drunk off his tushy in the mid-90's.

Go Gore!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Caruso:
    Gore, environmentalist? Check it out:
    The Wall Street Opinion Journal http://www.opinionjournal.com/

Investigating Al Gore
    The vice president, Armand Hammer and zinc. http://www.opinionjournal.com/extra/?id=65000067
    Saturday, August 12, 2000

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm, consider the source . . . then investigate the facts yourself. Gore isn't the only one out there with a tendency to exaggerate.

Oh no Smedley, if you have money, and are white, with Bush, the world is your oyster. (oh, you'd better be Christian too....)

Just for the record, my boss is working on the Bush campaign, as a consultant, so I am getting my info straight from the horses mouth, so to speak, not the tainted media everyone is screaming about. I was on the fence for awhile, but believe me, after spending the last year seeing this up cloase and personal, there is no doubt in my mind that Bush will do EXACTLY THE OPPOSITE of what I would want.

-Don't be fooled by the campaign promise of no litmus test--he wants abortion GONE.

-Bush, as was mentioened, thinks "handling" the environment means selling it off to the highest bidder and hoping whoever buys it keeps it intact. He has already promised to sell of the rights to the oilfields in Denali National Park in Alaska--so if he gets elescted I suggest hasty trip up there to tell you kids what it USED to look like--when there were actual living things there.

I don't want my environment or schools or anything else, to resmeble what Texas has right now, thanks but no thanks.

And, I agree with the sentiment that its naive to think that taxes "go away"--its like matter, it can neither be created nor destroyed, only altered. Do I like paying taxes? He** no, but its a fact of life, they aren't going anywhere, so I might as well agree with how they are being spent. (BTW, in the last 3 years I've paid the marraige AND inheritance tax--fun no, but a fact of life).

Thank You Heather-
    I think many people are fooled into thinking the candidates are actually being honest. Yes, Mr. Bush and Gore both sound fabulous. They are well trained. BUT THEY ARE BOTH TELLING LIES. Look at their records and decide. Remember, words are cheap.
    Just my opinion.