The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

What Lisa and Jparkes said.................

Betsy
    Lead, follow, or get out of the way...
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

amen.
    Just because you're of Middle Eastern extraction doesn't mean you're a fanatic.
    Just because you're Muslim doesn't mean you embrace the Jihad.
    Anymore than calling yourself a Christian guarantees that you actually practice Christianity.

we'll over react... or that we are over reacting now.

My SO went to fill up his car last night, I went with him. We had to wait in line!! Can you imagine?

While this is a very serious situation, with lots of emotions running high--fear, anxiety, grief, I just hope we all keep our senses and not revert to a mob mentality. Unfortunately, I think I see that happening.

**Spel chekers, hoo neeeds 'em? Alan James Bean**

That this is just the tip of the iceberg.

msj
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

That someday terrorists of such a mindset will attain weapons of mass destruction and use them.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DMK:
    lucassb - I confess I was hoping that they weren't US missiles... if for no other reason than they were such _small_ little explosions.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Me, too!! I thought, surely not.

I was talking with someone today who said we should give the Taliban 24 hours to hand Bin Laden over. If they comply, great. If not, well, buh-bye.

And Fiero, we have used the Bomb. It worked pretty well. And, I believe we gave the Japanese 24 hours to consider surrender beforehand. They chose not to. They did afterward -- quickly.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moose:
    That someday terrorists of such a mindset will attain weapons of mass destruction and use them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's what the planes were.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> And Fiero, we have used the Bomb. It worked pretty well. And, I believe we gave the Japanese 24 hours to consider surrender beforehand. They chose not to. They did afterward -- quickly. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes.. Hiroshima and some other place which the name I cannot remember (in Japan). Those were atomic bombs, and there are several other types of nuclear bombs... such as hydrogen. My point was when they said they were considering of something that the US has never done before, all I could think was nuclear. Scary. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

* Fiero *

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lisa:
    Quote: "Originally posted by Moose:
    That someday terrorists of such a mindset will attain weapons of mass destruction and use them."

That's what the planes were.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

True. But chemical, biological & nuclear weapons will kill on a wider scale. At the same time that the trade center in '93 was bombed and failed, japanese subways were bombed with gasses from a religous sect (and somewhat failed). I guess the thought that any type of terrorism is trying to be perfected is chilling.

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

What am I most afraid of today? That once I "confess" this, my BB friends will think badly of me ... because, lord knows, I'm not thinking too highly of myself right now. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

I am deeply, deeply afraid that someone will answer the phone on the other end of the endless list of names and telephone numbers that I am being asked to call. That I will connect with someone who has lost a loved one. That the numbness and shock will suddenly wear away and I will be forced to confront that I am doing the one thing I've sworn I would never do in this job: Find disaster victims' families.

I hate to admit this: I sent my father down his street this evening, because one of the people aboard one of the planes lived at the end of his street. I couldn't reach anyone on the phone; but since I recognized the address.... It's a nice place, he tells me a short time later; freshly painted, well-kept lawn, car in the driveway. But he doesn't know her; had never met her. So I'm left to wonder about who she was, this woman who chose my parents' rural little oasis in Southern California to call home, who had the unfathomable bad luck to be on United Flight 175 on Tuesday morning.

Maybe I would have really, really liked her. Heaven knows I've ridden down the trail in front of her house innumerable times.

And I fear that, soon, the reality will set in that I've lost long-distance friends and colleagues. I know of at least two. I have no doubt that there will be more.

I am often proud of the job the media does. There have been times during the past endless hours that I have been moved beyond pride. But my colleagues have also made me cringe. My job right now is making me cringe. And for all of that, I apologize to all of you.

I've paused just long enough to touch base with people who understand that, for me, life is generally measured in nickers, squeals, snoogie marks on my T-shirts and dried horse sweat under my fingernails. My biggest fear is that that world will never tilt back on its axis. That the simple pleasures will never be quite so simple again.

****Bulletin Board Goddess****
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

I am afraid that two of my friends have not checked in and that they are gone. Please say prayers!!

Oh Beezer, you are performing a job; and if your posts are any indication of your humanity, concern, and compassion, I, for one, know that you would not exploit anyone's pain for the gain of your employer at this tragic and horrific time.

Having spent the last two days in front of the television set, and personally projecting for a second, I think many of the families of the tragic victims of the attacks want the opportunity to celebrate and memorialize their loved ones. The countless Americans who perished lived lives which were defined by more than this horrific act. Use the opportunity to celebrate them - and those who loved and cherished them. Let's not allow their annonymous victimization to define the richness of who they were.

I trust, and know, that you, Beezer, would never exploit their pain. Let's celebrate their lives; and while we're at it, acknowledge that you're performing a job, and will do so better than most.

Great big hugs to you Beezer.

I'm afraid to go to sleep without the lights on.

I'm afraid that somewhere in the world, someone is waiting for the news to calm down enough to perform their next attack... since they waited until the news crews were there to crash the second plane into the WTC.

I'm afraid that we'll go to war, and I'll lose my best friend... whose shipmate lost his mother in the WTC yesterday.

I'm afraid that the world will never be the same.

I'm afraid that I'll never be able to feel completely safe again, that I won't be able to stop checking the skies "just in case." For some reason, the image of a clip from the "Pearl Harbor" preview keeps going thru my mind... where people are just looking up at the planes in the sky while innocently going on with their lives.

I'm afraid that more planes really *were* going to be hijacked, but plans were aborted and these jerks are still around, waiting for their time.

I'm afraid I'll never be able to sleep in the dark again.

The Southern California freeway system, stuck in an endless commute

Thank you, Heidi. I needed that. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

****Bulletin Board Goddess****
    Congratulate me! My CANTER cutie is an honor student at Goofball University!

i haven't said much at all on these boards in months, and usually only about situations that i know personally. well, here we go again.

- i'm afraid that the sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach that's been there since early tuesday morning is right, and this is going to get MUCH bigger. let's hope and pray that the NBC (nuclear, biological, chemical) weapons stay in storage... albeit less than an hour from my backyard.

- to echo someone else, i'm afraid that when it gets bigger, i'll live some of what my parents went through.... losing one or more of my best friends to the casualties of war (i'm an Army brat, and currently have at least 6 close friends on active duty across the services).

- i'm afraid that, the more re-runs we see of the plane crashing into the second tower, the less it will impact people. in this case, desensitization is far from a good thing.

- i guess most of all, though, i'm afraid that America as a whole will either fail to realize just how huge this is/was... in all respects. literally, and as many have said, the world will never be the same.

a few thoughts:

"thank God for your safety, and pray for the families who weren't so lucky in the face of unspeakable horror.
    Almighty God,
    in whose hands lies the destiny of men and nations,
    Let not the hopes of men perish,
    nor the sacrifices of men be in vain.
    - Amen. (author unknown)

That this will turn into an Isreal/ Palestinian tit for tat thing on a wider scale .That now our lives are going to be scary forever .
    I'm afraid that if our govt. responds and say strikes at where the persons responsible are then the country we strike sends in something worse . We here on LI are making comments under our breath about MILLSTONE (nuclear power plant ) in CT across the sound bay whatever.Do I need to say anything further?
    In otherwords It can get worse and I'm afraid of worse.
    I'm also afraid for my arab american friends who may be the target of understandable animosity .
    Brilyntrip

I agree with heidi (perhaps because we both smoke, or used to, anyway [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] ).
    Tinwhistle Farm

Like DMK, I'm afraid we won't catch the perpetrators and won't be able to bring them to justice.

I'm afraid that we'll lash out against a scapegoat in an effort to "do something."

On the flip side, I'm afraid we won't do enough and these kinds of things will continue.

I'm afraid of "copycats." Everywhere I look I see something that could be used as a weapon: that aerosol can and a lighter, that shard of glass, etc.

I'm afraid of panic reactions. The next time someone on a flight who looks a bit "foreign" reaches into their carry on bag, will they be mobbed by fellow passendgers?

PS: Fiero, I believe it was Nagasaki (sp?).

My support for you Beezer, you are doing what I could never do but is highly important. As Heidi said we need to celerbrate the people who lost their lives, as people not just another number.

My fears. I have alot right now, some are completely selfish but here are a few:

-I fear that this happened once, it will happen again. Anywhere. To more unsuspecting INNOCENT people

-I'm scared for my cousin who is in the Canadian army just waiting until someone says the word so he can go retaliate. There are many more like him, right now driven by their feelings and backed up by the extensive training. That is scary

-I'm scared for the lives of everyone around me. I find myself in public places looking around trying to take in all the unknown faces and their actions. This way if anything tragic happens here and I survive maybe I can put a personnality to a picture in a newpaper or on the news.

-I'm scared for America.

-I'm scared that this will bring racism back in full force

-I fear that in years down the road this will still be carrying on and that people will respond to the news of 10,000 dead in a manner like "oh really? didn't we just loose 10,000 on monday?"

-I fear that in the wake of whatever happens that Canada will be blamed for the start of this. I know some people here that feel that we are why these people got into the states and if select Canadians feel that way, them others must as well.
    ~ they tease you cause they like you ~

I'm really afraid that we will go to great lengths to shore up our airports, meanwhile, terrorists will find a new way to attack, maybe via biological or chemical means.
    I'm afraid we will lose our civil liberties... something that just needs a little more momentum to happen.
    I'm afraid we will close our borders to the good foreigners who aren't seeking to hurt us.
    I'm afraid we will lose a whole bunch of our brothers and sisters in a war we will never win, unless we find a united enemy (to me, fighting terrorism is like fighting drugs - with no clear enemy, who do you focus on?)
    I hope that we end our dependence on OIL, then we could tell that part of the world to go to hell, we don't need your oil, you don't get our money. NOW is the time to pressure auto makers to make super efficient vehicles and discover solar power. If we can put a man on the moon, we can make a quality vehicle not dependent on oil.

Ride it Like You Stole It...
    The witchy witch witch of south central NC.