The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

It seems inevitable that we are headed towards a cataclysmic and epic war. This is a prospect I never thought I'd witness in my lifetime; it's a prospect which paralyzes me with fear for life as I've known and enjoyed it; it's a contemplation which fills me with dread and panic for my children.

That the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon should be attacked so throughly and viciously, the fact that terrorists were able to slip through airport (non)security to highjack four planes to wreak such horrific violence, undermines my sense of security as a citizen of North America; and inevitably I have to wonder whether any of us are safe and will this ever end.

It seems inevitable that we are headed towards a cataclysmic and epic war. This is a prospect I never thought I'd witness in my lifetime; it's a prospect which paralyzes me with fear for life as I've known and enjoyed it; it's a contemplation which fills me with dread and panic for my children.

That the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon should be attacked so throughly and viciously, the fact that terrorists were able to slip through airport (non)security to highjack four planes to wreak such horrific violence, undermines my sense of security as a citizen of North America; and inevitably I have to wonder whether any of us are safe and will this ever end.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I'm afraid that I won't ever feel as safe as I did before yesterday morning.

I'm afraid we will not catch the perpetrators

I'm afraid I will look at fellow American citizens with distrust merely because of their heritage.

I'm afraid of what will happen to a nation that prides itself on the most open door policy and eqaulity to all people regardless of race, religion or political beliefs.

Being afraid is one thing. Acting on your fears is an entirely different matter.

We are horse people, we form a relationship with an animal that outweighs us by a factor of 10. We ALL have to conquer our fears on a regular basis to be succesful at that which we love. This is just a much bigger test.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Because we have been isolated from large scale terrorism for so long, it has been relatively easy for us to feel a sense of security. This is not the case in many other parts of the world, where threats and terrorism are more common. There are entire generations in certain parts of the world, certainly in the Middle East, who take it for granted that people get blown up going to the grocery store, in hospitals, or on their way to school. Understandably, many in those populations has a different perspective on personal safety and the value of human life. Those who have grown up hearing over and over again how the United States is both evil and responsible for the terrible circumstances these people live in, can be expected to rejoice when they learn that their "enemy" has been attacked.

How many watched last night when the first photos from Kabul were shown - and hoped that the missiles that were falling on the city were the first wave of retailation by the US? Even in the absence of hard evidence that the Afghans were in any way responsible ...

Certainly there are increased security measures that can and probably will be implemented. I think it is likely that our airports may begin to adopt some of the practices that are common in "more dangerous" parts of the world. I also think that after some time has passed, people will begin to rail at the delays, restrictions and inconveniences these practices will cause.

None of these measures can guarantee anyone's individual safety, of course. Obviously it is statistically unlikely that any one person will be involved in a terrorist act (compared, say, to a car wreck.) But the while the reality is that the world is not always a safe place, I think it is important that we show the world we are not cowering in terror. I applaud those at the Pentagon who went to work today and showed the rest of the world that our government is still running effectively. I applaud those who are brave enough to carry out the rescue work in NYC.

It is important for those who attacked us to understand that while buildings fell and lives precious to us were lost, ultimately the acts of terrorism have FAILED. We are not cowed, we are not subdued and we WILL FIND AND PUNISH those who had the audacity to attack us.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

after having F-15 planes fiy over my house last night and having air craft carriers off jones beach(long island)i am just afraid.. period

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

lucassb - I confess I was hoping that they weren't US missiles... if for no other reason than they were such small little explosions.

But I do believe that proves your point [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Bumping along life\'s highway, oops, detour, welcome to Yuma, AZ.

I am afraid that after this is all settled, if it ever can be, we will go back to our general complacency, stick our heads in the sand, and say, "No one can harm us, we are the most powerful country in the world."

We were brought to our knees yesterday. We will rise up and react, but at what expense?

Are we really willing to give up some of our "personal freedoms" for the sake of national security? I am afraid many are not.

The FAA Investigative committee has been trying to get our airline industry and it's facilities to heighten security for years. After Lockerbie, the comment was made that the overall cost of the loss of that flight was (vague recollection here of exact figure, bear with me) $3 billion(?). To improve the standard of security in ALL airports in this country, I believe, was $10 billion(?).

When we are driven by bottom line expense and profit, we will never do whatever it takes to provide a safe world.

That is what frightens me most.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    \"The older I get, the better I used to be, but who the heck cares!\"

What DMK said..... and lucassb too.

I honestly woke up this morning thinking it was all a dream.

What is scary is what was said on the news last night/this morning. They were discussing the options for retaliation and they were saying it is highly likely they will do something that has never been done before. And you know what that means? A nuclear bomb. And then all hell breaks loose...

I am scheduled to fly home from college in October for a few days on my fall break. It's already frightening me because I don't trust the security systems in airports.

And do you know what really gets to me? Those heartless Palestinians who are PARTYING in the street, passing out candy, firing in the air with kids on their shoulders dancing around. NO ONE, I repeat NO ONE, should EVER celebrate an act of violence upon innocent people. What a bunch of heartless cowards.

* Fiero *

I'm afraid that the defense industry and its friends in the white house and congress will be crass enough to use this tragedy to justify sucking billions out of the US budget to build fairy-tale space weapons. I'm also afraid that people will happily go along with it. I fear for anyone who is of middle eastern descent, as I heard from a friend at home today that Philly's Arab-American cab drivers were being violently harassed by patriotic morons.

I think what frightens me the most . . .I am currently listening to newstalk radio throughout the US. Are American's really that poorly informed? The comments I have been hearing are false or fabricated. The news hosts keep telling these folks that they have their facts wrong, yet the caller continues to argue. They are misquoting the President and everything else they have heard to justify their thoughts. I don't understand how this is happening, please don't "flame" me, however where are these folks living under a rock? One caller just stated that we should do exactly what Israel does when they are attacked. "just blow up the village where the terrorists hide behind women's skirts", hello Israel does not do this, the news host was kind enough to point out. However brainless Bob insists that "Yup" they shore du!! The news host in his utter disdain asked the dear gentlemen to get his facts straight prior to voicing his views. Let's keep ourselves informed, properly! We have access to the facts, let's make the most of them in this emotional trying time.

Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!
    Lions and Tigers and Bears, oh my!!

I am thinking many of the same thoughts as all of you.

I'm sure Heidi feels the same way, but my biggest fear is what will happen to the Canadian way of life up here. We have always been a very peaceful and free country (although obviously too lax in our security [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] ) and the knowledge that there are now large numbers of armed RCMP guards at our international airports and border crossings is very hard to accept. Our Prime Minister has pledged to up the security of the entire country and the ramifications scare me.

I am also afraid of the retribution/retaliation that may arise from all of this from both the US and other Western countries. I do not think that more violence is the answer.

When I woke up today, I truly had the sense that nothing was the same.

What really hit me yesterday though was when I was walking home there were newsboys on all the main corners of downtown handing out the special edition of the Vancouver Sun that had "The Horror" written on the first page. It is the first time in my lifetime that I ever remember a special edition being printed at the end of the day. It made me stop and consider that this may have been how our parent's generation felt and experienced at the start of WWII. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Too much to think about at the moment.
    You Strike Me Still

that my life as I know it has ended irrevocably.

I'm afraid that my godchildren will grow up in a very different world.

I'm afraid that violence and ignorance and hate will prevail.

I'm afraid that the burden of suffering will be endured by those most oppressed and downtrodden.

I'm afraid that we as a species will never learn to co-exist.

I am afraid for everyone in the world right now but most of all I am afraid of Nuclear weapons. I am also worried that we as Canadians will be blamed for allowing such individuals into our country and thus getting access to the US. However, I am most afraid for all the rescue workers currently attempting to find any survivors in both the WTC and in the Pentagon.

May God be with each and everyone at this time.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Yes, as soon as it was announced that Kabul had not been attacked by the United States, we quit bothering to cover *that* story.

I believe in diplomacy, and also think that there is a point where diplomacy falls short. People who send terrorists to accomplish their aims aren't going to be effectively addressed by sitting down at a conference table.

I am glad to see that there is at least an investigation underway. When it is concluded, I hope and expect to see very significant action taken. Not only to punish those who have taken innocent lives, but also as an example to others who might consider similar actions in the future.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Thought it was worth separating this out....

I believe in diplomacy, and also think that there is a point where diplomacy falls short. People who send terrorists to accomplish their aims aren't going to be effectively addressed by sitting down at a conference table.

Greatest fears: That the U.S. will do nothing in response, even though we are talking big talk right now. That a week, a month from now, we will all be complacent again. That the perpetrators will be allowed to get away with it. That this is only the beginning.
    Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
    Visit him on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

I like to think that we'll not, within three days, have mobilized all of the forces and begun a game of "I'm gonna get you sucka," heigi-ugh. At lunch yesterday I had to go to the bank. At a 4-way stop near my house, I saw a man in a black car. I was suspicious of him, for no reason. At the bank, I looked around behind me before I went in. It's hard to regain my sense of self-confidence and personal security. Those both crumbled with the twin towers.

But, as an American, I firmly believe our country will react appropriately and I would like to go on record as saying I doubt it will have anything to do with military attacks.

Robby

p.s. I don't think Canada is at fault, Jair. It's easier for them to get into the U.S. at borders because border patrol coming into this country is so lax.
    When blood is the beverage of choice, the sharpest fangs feed first.

Personally, I'd like to see armed Mounties-- or armed Sky Marshalls-- at all of our international airports. I travel a lot, and the lack of security at our international airports can be appalling. How sadly ironic that I've made jokes about my husband carrying on duct tape, rope and a large knife on his overseas jungle trips. The comments from the "security" people? "Oh, he doesn't look like a terrorist." That attitude has got to stop.

But what's my worst fear? I'm afraid it's already started, at least in my community: the stereotyping of all muslims, all people of middle eastern heritage, as being hateful of Americans and wanting to kill us all.

"Charter Member of the Baby Greenie Support Group of North America"

...what I fear most is the people of this country willing to give up more of their rights and freedoms all in the name of security.
    How can anyone in this country look into the eyes of the WWII generation and say they want security over freedom?
    Secretplace Farm - Raising fine paint hunters since 1987
    www.spfarm.com