The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Gas Can Cleaners

Yup, this is kind of trivial, but I'm a duffer, so bear with me.

For years, I have hired the two boys next door to mow my lawn for me. They used their own riding mower, and did a wonderful job.

But, those boys are now young men. One has moved away from home, and the other is busy with college and holding down a job. It doesn't seem possible, sometimes

So, I'm back to mowing my own lawn this year. Which isn't so bad, because I have a self-propelled mower and walking behind it will be good exercise. I've got an acre lot, so that will give me plenty of walking space. I took the mower in and got it all cleaned up and ready to go. I'm actually kind of looking forward to the first time.

I'm full of words here, but, in the end, it comes down to a simple question or two. I'm sure that there was probably some old gas residue in my gas can. How can I safely get that cleaned out so that I can put fresh gas in it? Or should I just go out and buy a new can? And, if I do buy a new can, how do I safely dispose of the old can. Is it considered a hazardous material because of what it held?
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

Rinse with gas and dispose of on a brush bonfire. However if you only have one can that could be a pain. Go get a small gas container that you could use for the weed whacker or chain saw (you may already have one), buy a small amount of gas in it. Rinse the lawnmower can with that, and pour it back in the small one. Then when you need to burn weeds/brush use the small container contents to start the fire.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Louise is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

No brush bonfires in suburbia, and I'm not sure I'd want to throw gas on a burning fire, anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Louise View Post
    No brush bonfires in suburbia, and I'm not sure I'd want to throw gas on a burning fire, anyways.
    Oh dear, - you put the gas on the brush and then light it.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

You could always put more gas in the can to rinse it, and then filter it in to the car, through some sort of screen. Coffee filer in a funnel or something similar.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Oh dear, - you put the gas on the brush and then light it.
    Well, duh, that was dumb of me. Of course, that's the way you would do it.

I had a Father who loved me very much. But, he had definite ideas what a girl should or shouldn't do. I can't remember how many times I was told "No dear, you don't have to learn how to do this. You'll have a husband who will do it all for you." Well, the husband never materialized and sometimes it seems that I now have struggle to learn every little thing that comes along. Still, you'd think that, at my age, I'd have learned something.

Louise, definitely do NOT get a new gas can! The new ones are almost impossible to use.

If there is only a little gas in the old can, don't worry about it. Yes, the old gas contains 10% ethanol, thanks to our lousy govt, but just add more new gas to the old container.

If there is a LOT of gas left then you probably need to take it to the hazardous waste site. I think that's somewhere in Brighton but not sure.

You definitely do NOT want to start a fire with it as we are in a 'red flag' warning or whatever, due to the high winds and dry conditions.

Call me about any other concerns.

PS. After I bought a new container for deisel for the tractor and realized I couldn't use it at all, I took an old gas can that I drained, left the top off for a while-maybe a day max (outside of course so the fumes didn't cause a problem).
    Then washed well with warm soapy water, rinsed and spray painted it yellow for deisel and have been using it for 5 yrs.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

Actually, if it's only a little gas on the bottom of the can then I would just put fresh in it, and the new gas will mix with it. If it's more than that amount then just pour it on a nasty old bale of hay or something else you can make a little hole in the top of, fill it up and light some kind of wick, light it up and run like hell.

Of course, my idea of mower maintenance is to do nothing but put oil in it when I open the box, click the handle into place, and fill the tank. I run the poor mower until it dies about 10 years or so later.

A neighbor (I gave him my mower, because I have a guy now that does a great job) gave me a hint, and said when you're looking for a replacement mower, many of the mower repair places resell reconditioned mowers for a good price. He said he's always bought his from places like that.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Original Poster

I need oil? Seriously, I knew that, but it's just a lucky thing I did. I do have to go rooting around and see if I can find the manual, because I can't remember what kind of oil I need.

Try pulling out your oil dipstick. Sometimes the type of oil needed is stamped right on it.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Louise-I can never find the mower instructions, so just look at the mower, see what the brand and model are, and google it. And Monica is right, my dipsticks usually had the type of oil stamped on the top.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Yes, you do need oil and that oil might need changing and you might need new blades as well. Can you turn the mower over and look to see if there are any nicks in the blade edges? You might just need the blades sharpened and not new ones.

Louise to be honest, you might want to consider taking the mower to a dealer to service it on an annual basis. Can you find out if the guys that did your lawn before did any cleaning etc last fall before it was put away?

Oops, I just went back and re-read your initial post. You've already done what I suggested.

PS. Plan to take the mower back this fall to get serviced before you put it away.
    Last edited by msj; Apr. 9, 2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Added last 2 paragraphs.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!